Stupid tollway tags

Disting

So, a while ago i bought my first tollway tag. Told it wont work for 24 hours so was useless for that journey. Then on next journey, different road, need a different toll tag. That one also wont work for 24 hours so no use for that journey. So after that i am the proud owner of an mpass and easy pass tag. Great i thought, no more queues. So next trip they work fine, fantastic says i. Couple of trips later and drive through the gate and nothing, wait like an idiot for guard to back up the other cars. You have to hold out of the window at a certain angle. What the f..k. Sometimes they work, sometimes they dont. Last straw was the last 2 trips, out of 8 tollgates, they worked twice. The other 6 times, back up or have to wait for attendant to come and scan it. So, get home, get out hammer, smash both tags. Did that feel good or what. Back to paying cash. Have wasted so much time buying the damn things and waiting at the gates. 

Its so simple a technology, why the f..k cant they get it right. 

You don't have to hold them out of the window at a certain angle. In fact the expressway people specifically say not to do that. You're supposed to fix them to the inside of the windscreen, in no small measure because the tags have to be oriented a certain way to work. I've got both Mpass / EasyPass and very rarely have problems. I say very rarely 'cos there are odd occasions when it doesn't work properly. Earlier this year it happened a couple of time so I took the tag to an expressway office. They changed it for a new one and it worked fine - apparently there's a battery inside it and if the battery is dying the tag won't always work. That particular tag was 5 years old.

Maybe keep the hammer and some more breakable items in your car to ease the frustration next time you're stuck in a rush hour expressway toll booth queue ...

7 hours ago, patyh said:

I never had a problem with those tags.. Could it be your glass film? I've heard that some film will prevent the reader from reading the tag. 

Yes ...many windscreen films stop expressway (easypass) from working. And not only the cheap films. Some films are actually advertised that they guarantee easypass 'tags' will work.

It's pretty certain to be your windscreen film ...just open the window and hang it out like many do ...I'm not sure if the tag is directional but best to point it the correct way...

Check your front screen - its not the film but the type of glass that can block the signals. Usually there is a 'shaded' area near the mirror where you're supposed to put garage door open sensors and the like on screens that have that type of glass. Stick your easypass or Mpass in that area.

Over time the battery in the easypass drains and becomes less sensitive - you see many cars now having to back-up probably because they got their easypass when it first came out and their batteries are now running low.

Yesterday was one of those occasions when the tag suddenly didn't work for whatever reason (at the toll booth getting onto the elevated highway at MegaBangNa and then at the huge toll plaza you get to just after that one when coming into BKK - actually, whenever I've had problems it's often been at those booths). First it told me there was no money on the card, when there was 900-odd baht left, and then the system said it couldn't find the card.  

The point of this story is that I went and asked in one of the tollway offices if there was a problem with the card. They said it was working fine BUT that next month (Oct) the intention is to link both EasyPass and MPass so you can use the same card for both. While they're trying to set this up, having MPass and EasyPass next to each other may confuse the system etc etc. However I'd been through 6 gates before that on the journey with no problems.

Don't ask me how you're supposed to link two existing accounts, and maybe it will never happen, but it would be great if it does as it will be one tag for all ...

The window film does interfere with the system. My easypass wouldn't work so I cut a neat hole in the film.

And it still doesn't work. Now I have the clip attached to the windscreen and I have to hold the tag out of the window each time.

Annoying, but better than queuing each time to pay cash.

I've had an Easy Pass tag for 2.5 years (and switched it when I got a new car) and it's never failed. I use it daily. I have 3M film and I can only suggest it's probably a film issue, as there's not much else that can obstruct the signal. I have it positioned behind the rear view mirror, out of sight of the driver. Also, the black dot, or shaded, part of the windscreen suggestion earlier is a good one as film companies are not supposed to stick the film on  that area, although mine did both times. It might be less noticeable if a small hole was cut in the film there though, perhaps. Just a thought.

Some film can affect it, but easily got around by some thought first.

Behind the rear view mirror is likely to be an area of the windscreen that is kind of spotted to cut out sunlight ( since it won't be covered when the sunshade is lowered) - got the film installer to not cover that area only, stuck the easypass holder on there - and never a problem at all.

The real issue and stupidity is needing to have two passes for the same underlying system ( m pass and easypass) since the dongles are the d@mn same.