Feral dog problem in Hua Hin

stander

I'm only hoping this post is a joke... To kill poor dogs like cock roaches? Are you kidding me?
Just because no one controls the dogs breeding, doesn't mean you have to kill them. Dogs are wonderful, intelligent, compassionate creatures, and have more 'humanity' in them than most of the 'humans' I know. Feeding them doesn't make them vicious. Why developed countries don't have this problem? No, it's no fault of the tourists. It's because the government does have some plan when it comes to dealing with them. They are being placed in shelters, looked after and then re-homed. If the dogs were aggressive while you were cycling, it's because you were probably aggressive towards them, maybe you were trying to ride a bicycle into the herd and they were simply defending themselves? Dogs can be aggressive, if they are being attacked by people, so they view people as aggressors. Change the attitude and cure the cause of the problem, not the effect.  

Seriously?
One day go to Thailand and have a good hard look.
My wife was attacked by a feral dog when she was young and is still absolutely terrified of them.
So come up with a solution not some do good rubbish.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Maggie Tuczapska said:

I'm only hoping this post is a joke... To kill poor dogs like cock roaches? Are you kidding me?

Just because no one controls the dogs breeding, doesn't mean you have to kill them. Dogs are wonderful, intelligent, compassionate creatures, and have more 'humanity' in them than most of the 'humans' I know. Feeding them doesn't make them vicious. Why developed countries don't have this problem? No, it's no fault of the tourists. It's because the government does have some plan when it comes to dealing with them. They are being placed in shelters, looked after and then re-homed. If the dogs were aggressive while you were cycling, it's because you were probably aggressive towards them, maybe you were trying to ride a bicycle into the herd and they were simply defending themselves? Dogs can be aggressive, if they are being attacked by people, so they view people as aggressors. Change the attitude and cure the cause of the problem, not the effect.  

These feral dogs are vermin and they must be treated as such.

I like dogs, I am not scared of most of them, I don't scare them or try hurt them.

But I have been bitten 3 times in the 10 years I live here, from street dogs.  One very bad bite to the leg required several hospital visits and anti rabies shots.

I cycle every day and have to pass several packs of dogs.  I live in a rural area.. and these dogs breed like rabbits and each year there are more and more of them.

If you are cycling home in the evening and about 30 large dogs surround you on the bike, lunging at your legs, showing teeth, barking and snarling, and you are on you own with no houses near by, you will not think these are such lovely pets.

I agree its not the fault of the dogs.. they are just acting like wild animals.  Its the fault of the 'owners' and people who feed them and encourage their population to grow.  But the people are not biting me.... so its dogs that have to go. 

And yes, dogs are the same as rats, foxes, even cockroaches.  All these animals are alive and can feel pain.. and all of them reach annoying and dangerous population levels from humans, so the humans are to blame also.  Many people have pet rats, and even exotic insects like hissing cockroaches and scorpions, so just because something can be a pet does not mean its got immunity form being culled if posing a danger to the population. 

45 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I like dogs, I am not scared of most of them, I don't scare them or try hurt them.

But I have been bitten 3 times in the 10 years I live here, from street dogs.  One very bad bite to the leg required several hospital visits and anti rabies shots.

I cycle every day and have to pass several packs of dogs.  I live in a rural area.. and these dogs breed like rabbits and each year there are more and more of them.

If you are cycling home in the evening and about 30 large dogs surround you on the bike, lunging at your legs, showing teeth, barking and snarling, and you are on you own with no houses near by, you will not think these are such lovely pets.

I agree its not the fault of the dogs.. they are just acting like wild animals.  Its the fault of the 'owners' and people who feed them and encourage their population to grow.  But the people are not biting me.... so its dogs that have to go. 

And yes, dogs are the same as rats, foxes, even cockroaches.  All these animals are alive and can feel pain.. and all of them reach annoying and dangerous population levels from humans, so the humans are to blame also.  Many people have pet rats, and even exotic insects like hissing cockroaches and scorpions, so just because something can be a pet does not mean its got immunity form being culled if posing a danger to the population. 

I agree 100%. I don't have much of a problem cycling within Hua Hin, it's out in the rural areas where you come across the vicious one.

I regularly see expats feeding them, I can't understand why anyone would go out of their way to travel to these areas to feed them.

I will continue to sponsor culls, as there is no way I am going to standby and allow these areas to become no go areas.

To everyone who has posted on here,

I am a dog lover but I agree that the problem is getting out of hand however I don't agree with culling, it is not the dogs fault that they are on the street

The only solution is for each and every one of you to visit the Tessabahn, they WILL take action and will take the dogs to the Temple

Arguing on here about it is not going to solve the issue i'm afraid

5 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

I am a dog lover but I agree that the problem is getting out of hand however I don't agree with culling, it is not the dogs fault that they are on the street

The only solution is for each and every one of you to visit the Tessabahn, they WILL take action and will take the dogs to the Temple

As I have previously stated, I have used  the Hua Hin Municipality’s Public Health and Environment Division at tel. 032 532 433,and they will take care of the issue within the municipality. The issue I have is mostly in the rural areas, which fall outwith the jurisdiction of the municipality. In those areas, you have to contact with the local headman.    

And in your own country how do they take care of feral, lost or unclaimed dogs?

32 minutes ago, pcliff069 said:

And in your own country how do they take care of feral, lost or unclaimed dogs?

They have Dog Shelters in every major citiy but this thread is not about what happens in other countries, it's about the dog problem in HH

And your ridiculous solution to take the dogs to temples. Tell me do they become any less feral there and does the rabies disappear. And are they any less likely to be off like a shot first fireworks night?
Have you ever seen the state of these dogs?
Have you ever actually been to Thailand.
Very doubtful on the rubbish you are posting.
How about a real solution not this airy fairy rubbish that offers nothing.

15 minutes ago, pcliff069 said:

And your ridiculous solution to take the dogs to temples. Tell me do they become any less feral there and does the rabies disappear. And are they any less likely to be off like a shot first fireworks night?
Have you ever seen the state of these dogs?
Have you ever actually been to Thailand.
Very doubtful on the rubbish you are posting.
How about a real solution not this airy fairy rubbish that offers nothing.

Why don't YOU come up with a solution you clown

Yes I have been to Thailand, I have probably lived in Hua Hin a lot longer than you, not that really matters

Go to the Tessabahn instead of posting <deleted> on here

Why don't YOU come up with a solution you clown

Yes I have been to Thailand, I have probably lived in Hua Hin a lot longer than you, not that really matters

Go to the Tessabahn instead of posting <deleted> on here

Wayne Kerr

Sad you didn't learn anything.

I grow weary of the selfish ignorance on display here and it is time to  shut it down as it serves no purpose save to illustrate how uneducated and disconnected some folks are from reality. Yes, I understand that there is an issue with some of the feral animal populations. We all do.  That's why some people have  actually done something positive that makes a difference.  

Hua Hin has a dog shelter and it was set up under Royal patronage.  I am very grateful and appreciative of the  work the volunteers and  employees perform.

I was not in Hua Hin when HM the King donated the lands and funds to set up the first shelter. His guidance on the matter was textbook and it did not involve massive kills, poisonings or other ineffective methods.  I was not in Hua Hin when he visited the shelter he so kindly contributed, but I understand it was an emotional experience for everyone involved. The smiles in the news reports were genuine and the happiness factor was high.  

Test

(The above was from the PBS report on HM the King's 2003 visit and announcement of financial support for the assistance of feral dogs.)

There will always be a few foreign jerks who have no understanding of the local culture nor of population biology who will argue that the population should be mass slaughtered, as if that will solve the  problem. It does not. Only education, spaying and neutering will do that.  I use the term jerk because that is what someone who seeks to impose a poorly thought out and non scientific solution is.   Hua Hin has the benefit of Kasetsart University's veterinary college and it has provided guidance on the issue. Unfortunately, many local officials and  many of  residents do not wish to heed sound scientific advice.

Hua Hin's dog centre "aims to take care of stray dogs, feeding them, treating them for illness, vaccinating them against disease and finally trying to find them a permanent loving home and a better life. It is worth pointing out that is against the Buddhist way to destroy an animal, so no dogs are put down regardless of how long they stay." 

Luckily, there are more compassionate and thoughtful people around than there are ignorant selfish types, otherwise society would collapse.  There are volunteers from the expat community who give generously from their wallets and of their time to address the issue of uncontrolled dog and cat populations. If anyone is that concerned about the growing population of feral dogs and cats, then please volunteer at one of the animal charities and contribute to the education, spaying and neutering programs.  Sterilized animals that are caught and released are considered one of the most effective methods of  controlling populations.  

30 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

I grow weary of the selfish ignorance on display here and it is time to  shut it down as it serves no purpose save to illustrate how uneducated and disconnected some folks are from reality. Yes, I understand that there is an issue with some of the feral animal populations. We all do.  That's why some people have  actually done something positive that makes a difference.  

Hua Hin has a dog shelter and it was set up under Royal patronage.  I am very grateful and appreciative of the  work the volunteers and  employees perform.

I was not in Hua Hin when HM the King donated the lands and funds to set up the first shelter. His guidance on the matter was textbook and it did not involve massive kills, poisonings or other ineffective methods.  I was not in Hua Hin when he visited the shelter he so kindly contributed, but I understand it was an emotional experience for everyone involved. The smiles in the news reports were genuine and the happiness factor was high.  

Test

(The above was from the PBS report on HM the King's 2003 visit and announcement of financial support for the assistance of feral dogs.)

There will always be a few foreign jerks who have no understanding of the local culture nor of population biology who will argue that the population should be mass slaughtered, as if that will solve the  problem. It does not. Only education, spaying and neutering will do that.  I use the term jerk because that is what someone who seeks to impose a poorly thought out and non scientific solution is.   Hua Hin has the benefit of Kasetsart University's veterinary college and it has provided guidance on the issue. Unfortunately, many local officials and  many of  residents do not wish to heed sound scientific advice.

Hua Hin's dog centre "aims to take care of stray dogs, feeding them, treating them for illness, vaccinating them against disease and finally trying to find them a permanent loving home and a better life. It is worth pointing out that is against the Buddhist way to destroy an animal, so no dogs are put down regardless of how long they stay." 

Luckily, there are more compassionate and thoughtful people around than there are ignorant selfish types, otherwise society would collapse.  There are volunteers from the expat community who give generously from their wallets and of their time to address the issue of uncontrolled dog and cat populations. If anyone is that concerned about the growing population of feral dogs and cats, then please volunteer at one of the animal charities and contribute to the education, spaying and neutering programs.  Sterilized animals that are caught and released are considered one of the most effective methods of  controlling populations.  

This thing does a very very good job for a small proportion of street dogs.  The dog there are very lucky and well cared for.. and the people helping them are very kind hearted to the dogs.   But its not the answer to the feral dog population... if it were, why are there still feral dogs in large and increasing numbers there?

Also to the poster saying to take dogs to the temple... what temple?  Is there a temple that will gladly look after thousands of sick and aggressive feral dogs?  Temples are not dog rescue places.  You can't just dump animals you don't want in temples!  That is a sin to abandon animals and burden the monks there.. who are there to practice meditation and Buddhism, not run a dog rescue and hospital.  Also the dogs will continue to breed and increase in population if not sterilized. 

With this logic I catch all thousands of village rats and dump them at 'the temple'.  Temples are not a rubbish dump for people to throw away unwanted animals and children!!!!! 

Catch the dogs, euthanize them as cruelty free as possible.  Anyone that says they own the dogs needs to be fined and told how to look after then properly and not allow them to stray.

Simple.

What is the problem? 

And in our own counties, Europe and America thousand of dogs are killed every month... unwanted dogs that people threw away or dumped.  Yet breeder still churn out pedigree disease ridden dogs and sell then for thousands of dollars.  We are more immoral to dogs.

Yes I have got a 'solution " but it is one that won't be acted on for various reasons. As I have previously said the problem is national and not isolated to a few sois or Hua Hin or PKK. Dog owners need to be made responsible for their animals. To do this you need to introduce elements of the nanny state we all love so dearly. Dogs must be registered and micro chipped. Those left wandering the sois to be rounded up and if unclaimed after a number of days put to sleep. This is to be done in conjunction with major education / advertising campaigns. "dogs are not for Christmas " style. All of this would not be easy and not cheap. I don't believe it is actually high on the agenda here and there are loads of things that are of a higher priority. Indiscriminate culls and the like serve little purpose. Personally I would love to own a dog but won't in the chance that some day in the future he would be lost and join a pack. Dogs are gr8 mates and companions but come with a responsibility that is sadly lacking here.

Yes I have got a 'solution " but it is one that won't be acted on for various reasons. As I have previously said the problem is national and not isolated to a few sois or Hua Hin or PKK. Dog owners need to be made responsible for their animals. To do this you need to introduce elements of the nanny state we all love so dearly. Dogs must be registered and micro chipped. Those left wandering the sois to be rounded up and if unclaimed after a number of days put to sleep. This is to be done in conjunction with major education / advertising campaigns. "dogs are not for Christmas " style. All of this would not be easy and not cheap. I don't believe it is actually high on the agenda here and there are loads of things that are of a higher priority. Indiscriminate culls and the like serve little purpose. Personally I would love to own a dog but won't in the chance that some day in the future he would be lost and join a pack. Dogs are gr8 mates and companions but come with a responsibility that is sadly lacking here.

9 hours ago, pcliff069 said:

1 : Most dogs don't have a owner that's why they are on the streets 

2  : As you said your solution won't be acted on and I doubt the things you suggest will be implemented for another 50 years, 

So your "solution"is not really a solution is it?

Try again.

1 : Most dogs don't have a owner that's why they are on the streets 
2  : As you said your solution won't be acted on and I doubt the things you suggest will be implemented for another 50 years, 

So your "solution"is not really a solution is it?

Try again.

Not a solution.
It is not actually mine it is in fact the blueprint of every country that has dealt successfully with this problem.
So I'm afraid it does work and has been implemented in many countries.
And if dogs have no owners? Miss the bit about them being destroyed.
Always good to read what someone says not what you think they say.

19 minutes ago, pcliff069 said:

Not a solution.
It is not actually mine it is in fact the blueprint of every country that has dealt successfully with this problem.
So I'm afraid it does work and has been implemented in many countries.
And if dogs have no owners? Miss the bit about them being destroyed.
Always good to read what someone says not what you think they say.

No it is not a solution because it will not happen in Thailand at least not for another 30-50 years

So come up with a solution that will work in Thailand because what you have suggested whilst correct will not be implemented in the near or distant future in Hua Hin

Come up with a solution that will work in Hua Hin now

On 16/09/2016 at 2:51 AM, Thailaw said:

If these are federal dogs, why not contact the federal government in Bangkok? Surely, they will take responsibility for their dogs. Do the federal dogs have some kind of tags to differentiate them from the garden variety soi dogs? The military might not take kindly to your harming one of their federal dogs.

There is an abundance of "soi dogs" in Thailand, but I have never seen them as a serious nuisance, and generally feel sorry for them and their very poor living/health conditions. And the foreigners (and Thais) who feed them are kind and warm-hearted people, but there may be a downside to their kindness. And the temples offer a place of refuge and minimal care. I keep away from them (and keep my children away) out of disease concerns, but I applaud those that go out of their way and spend their money to help these poor animals. I suggest respectfully that you learn to live with them -- a bite on your shoe doesn't sound like a major catastrophe, but I do agree that a bite that breaks the skin would be a concern.

Oh, "feral" dogs -- never mind ..... :wai2:

And the foreigners (and Thais) who feed them are kind and warm-hearted people,

except for the idiots who feed them meat on pointed sticks which can seriously injure a dogs mouth or innards and/or chicken still on the bone which is a serious chocking hazard for dogs. morons.

And the foreigners (and Thais) who feed them are kind and warm-hearted people,

except for the idiots who feed them meat on pointed sticks which can seriously injure a dogs mouth or innards and/or chicken still on the bone which is a serious chocking hazard for dogs. morons.

Too true.

When we were at Rawai the dogs were most aggressive around twilight time. This also coincided with the time they were feed. Around the lake at Nai Harn at one time there were 20 to 30 of them. And as a pack were a bit of a concern.

They are not pets and live in a pack mentality.

If you could magically remove every soi dog in Hua Hin they would be replaced within 6 to 12 months tops.

And a diseased dog at a Wat is no different to a a diseased dog in a soi.

Except of course for out of sight out of mind.

14 minutes ago, pcliff069 said:

Sadly still too quick for you.
Hey remember when your dad took you out to the tool shed and pointed out all the sharp tools? He wasn't pointing at you.
And now for the whatever gizillionth time I have provided a solution. Unlike yourself who will be waltzing up to the Wat dog under arm singing and chanting.
Don't give up your day job.

No you have not provided a solution, you have provided a solution that works and works well in western countries, it will not work here for another 30-50 years

I have explained this to you numerous times

Now AGAIN come up with a solution that will work in Thailand RIGHT NOW

I'm off into town now do you want me to pick you up a application form from Mcdonalds whilst i'm down there?

Edited by darrendsd

No you have not provided a solution, you have provided a solution that works and works well in western countries, it will not work here for another 30-50 years

I have explained this to you numerous times

Now AGAIN come up with a solution that will work in Thailand RIGHT NOW

I'm off into town now do you want me to pick you up a application form from Mcdonalds whilst i'm down there?

Good luck with your work permit.