University Fees Chiang Mai

stament

Wondered if anyone knew ball park annual tuition fees for the main universities for THAI Students in Chiang Mai. I managed to google and look through old thaivisa threads and got some info on CMU fees of around 130k to 210k THB per year. I had less success for Prayap and Rajabat and some of the threads were quite dated.

Expecting CMU to be most costly followed by Prayap. Ball park figures would be good plus any add-ons if material.  Thinking of my own kids but also might sponsor a nephew.

Thanks

Edited by stament
Thai students not foreigners

Several years ago I was told by some CMU students that the tuition was changed from a flat rate paid regardless of the degree to one that depended on the degree.  That increased costs for degrees that required expensive equipment and facilities, which include the science and engineering degrees. 

I don't remember the cost per semester, and my information would be out of date anyway.  I do recall one of the students complaining that her younger brother didn't have grades good enough to get into CMU so he was going to Payap, which was much more expensive.  CMU is a government school (and one of the best in Thailand), I think Payap is a private university and more expensive.

Rajabhat has flexible degree programs for students that have to work full time while pursuing a degree, but it doesn't have a good academic reputation.  No doubt a student who wants to learn can learn a lot there, but the degree won't be nearly as well respected as CMU or Payap.

Did a quick google and got this from the cmu website for faculty of science:

Tuition, Registration and Compulsory Fees
Combined Tuition, Registration and Compulsory fees for International Bachelors degree programs are: 
Bachelor of Nursing Science (BNS) - Baht 130,000 per academic year
Bachelor of Engineering (B.Eng.) - Baht 140,000 per academic year
Bachelor of Science in Software Engineering - Baht 120,000 per academic year

Combined Tuition, Registration and Compulsory fees for postgraduate International Masters and Doctoral programs are: 
Humanities and Social Sciences programs Baht 155,000 per academic year.
Health Sciences and Science and Technology programs Baht 205,000 per academic year.

Exceptions: 
MSc. in Petroleum Geoscience (one year program) Baht 330,000 per academic year
MSc. in Veterinary Public Health Baht 450,000 per academic year
Ph.D. in Economics Thai national Baht 250,000 per academic year
- Foreign national Baht 300,000 per academic year 

I am attending a Masters program at Chulalongkorn, without doubt the most respected university in Thailand.  The cost by the semester is 80,000 baht for foreign people and 26,000 baht for Thais.  For me that is four graduate level courses.  But my program advisor almost demanded that I ask for a scholarship, even though I was willing to pay.  Big surprise!   I got a full scholarship for tuition, a 10,000 baht per month stipend, and a dormitory room, and one round trip per semester "home," although I consider myself to be home.  

Pretty damned amazing if you ask me.  What else should I be doing in my ninth year of retirement.  So I will learn some serious stuff at no major expense.  My goal is to be able to substantiate the things I might say here on ThaiVisa (and elsewhere) instead of being a irritating bar stool philosopher whining about Thailand, as so many seem to be here.   I will be a certified, educated, whining, bar stool philosopher.  

2 hours ago, John Kane said:

I am attending a Masters program at Chulalongkorn, without doubt the most respected university in Thailand.  The cost by the semester is 80,000 baht for foreign people and 26,000 baht for Thais.  For me that is four graduate level courses.  But my program advisor almost demanded that I ask for a scholarship, even though I was willing to pay.  Big surprise!   I got a full scholarship for tuition, a 10,000 baht per month stipend, and a dormitory room, and one round trip per semester "home," although I consider myself to be home.  

Pretty damned amazing if you ask me.  What else should I be doing in my ninth year of retirement.  So I will learn some serious stuff at no major expense.  My goal is to be able to substantiate the things I might say here on ThaiVisa (and elsewhere) instead of being a irritating bar stool philosopher whining about Thailand, as so many seem to be here.   I will be a certified, educated, whining, bar stool philosopher.  

2 hours ago, John Kane said:

You received a very large scholarship,as a foregners at a Thai university. I find that quite amazing. Contrast that with a British citizen returning to study at a University in The UK, where they would not only be expected to pay the full cost of £9,000 p.a but also an additional charge of an extra 50%.  I think this proves that the Thai authorities are not so xenophobic as some people think. 

Well, just a moment before you get too excited....John Kane needs tell everyone just what he is getting paid to "study" and you will see why they might want a farang face for that (for one thing) .... please John ..take it away ....

1 hour ago, amykat said:

Well, just a moment before you get too excited....John Kane needs tell everyone just what he is getting paid to "study" and you will see why they might want a farang face for that (for one thing) .... please John ..take it away ....

John Kane will be the greatest philosopher of this, or any other, generation. You heard it here first.

7 hours ago, John Kane said:

II am attending a Masters program at Chulalongkorn, without doubt  most respected university in. Thailand.  The cost by the sey 80,000 baht for foreign peop le and 26,000 baht for Thais.  For me that is four graduate level courses.  But my program advisor almost demanded that I ask for a scholarship, even though I was willing to pay.  Big surprise!   I got a full scholarship for tuition, a 10,000 baht per month stipend, and a dormitory room, and one round trip per semester "home," although I consider myself to be home.  

First, congratulations on your positive attitude to life and education, of such you'll be a Master of your area of studies. However, and I'm prepared to be plesantly corrected here, this will leave you as a "master" and not a "philosopher", as this entails having a Ph.D, (a Doctrate in Philosophy,) and then allows you to use the prefix Dr. instead of Mr., regardless of your area of study. This is also slightly different to a M.D., which refers to Medical Doctor.Although some medics have a Ph.D in medicine.

Ether way, I have the feeling that once you have completed your Masters Degree, you will have the drive to write a wonderful thesis and become 

Dr. John Kane, Ph.D.

As a matter of iinterest what is your area of study?

Edited by mankondang

12 hours ago, John Kane said:

John, congrats on the scholarship. What course are you studying? You mention that the international fee is higher and you were willing to pay it. However, could the real reason you got the scholarship be that you actually look thai? Maybe they made a mistake? :D

7 hours ago, bitcoinforever said:

just paid for my daughter ,Thai national 12,000 baht a semester Chiang Mai Universtyi for chiang mai resident student. 24,000 baht a year.

Nice. I do recall hearing that Chiang Mai residents get a discount but I doubt the benefit extends to farangs living in CM :clap2:

On 16 September 2016 at 3:55 AM, Si Thea01 said:

It's nice that you received so many positive replies but why wouldn't you contact the university and get the relevant information direct from the horses mouth? :wai:

most websites have details, CMU does and I saw the details above, thevother universities I couldnt and despite calling them several times there was no reply, hence I thought it best to seek out TV members wisdom as they are very helpful and have helped me enormously in the past. Incidentally my wife also called the unis several times but struggled to get a coherent response. Am I surprised? NO, TIT after all ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone uses friend google but it's better to go there and ask

Because it depends on the direction (what course he or she will follow) there is a difference between doctor and nurse .

Is it an undergraduate program?

Is it an international course or Thai ?