Work Permit for One Time Seminar.

What is the requirement to obtain a work permit for an "Expert" in her field to hold a 1-day seminar in Thailand? 

I saw this http://www.bia.co.th/023.html

This states that work for the "Benefit of Education" is exempt from work permits but that somehow doesn't ring true, else all the English teachers wouldn't need a work permit.

Any info would be appreciated...

• Like 1

I suspect the "... as may be prescribed by decree" is probably intended to apply to "... for the benefit of education ..." as well as "... other activities ...". A fluent Thai speaker may be able to confirm this by reference to the original text of the Foreign Employment Act.

Are you hosting this seminar totally on your own or at the behest of some business/educational institution?

If the latter, then they should be responsible for doing the needful.

If the former, you need to be very careful. Work permits aside, you would be a foreigner organizing an assembly of people for purposes unknown. I would imagine you would at the least need to explain the reason you're doing this to local police. Rules regarding public assembly were strengthened last year. If you would be using hotel conference facilities, you should contact them regarding what's needed to legally host a meeting.

Even when we've had an annual condo co-owners meeting, I believe the police have had to be notified and at some of the meetings over the last few years a uniformed police officer has been present at least briefly.

Some short-term business activities such as entering Thailand to attend a business meeting, trade show or conference, or Board of Directors meeting do not require a work permit. However, activities such as sales calls, conducting conferences or seminars, and non-profit and charity work do require a work permit.

http://www.dejudomlaw.com/immigration/overview/

Edited by Suradit69

There are special work permits for those performers who are just doing one or two performances in the Kingdom - you might want to look at that.

If you are not being paid in Thailand by Thai people for the seminar, you could just go and do it, especially if it is for education. I once worked in connection with a University in Thailand and none of the visiting Professors who came to give a one-off lecture/seminar ever got a work permit

22 hours ago, BritTim said:

I suspect the "... as may be prescribed by decree" is probably intended to apply to "... for the benefit of education ..." as well as "... other activities ...". A fluent Thai speaker may be able to confirm this by reference to the original text of the Foreign Employment Act.

Yeah, I'm not falling for it either.  Doesn't ring right.

2 hours ago, humqdpf said:

There are special work permits for those performers who are just doing one or two performances in the Kingdom - you might want to look at that.

If you are not being paid in Thailand by Thai people for the seminar, you could just go and do it, especially if it is for education. I once worked in connection with a University in Thailand and none of the visiting Professors who came to give a one-off lecture/seminar ever got a work permit

Do you have a link to this kind of permit for me to check out?  Could be a possibility?

5 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Are you hosting this seminar totally on your own or at the behest of some business/educational institution?

If the latter, then they should be responsible for doing the needful.

If the former, you need to be very careful. Work permits aside, you would be a foreigner organizing an assembly of people for purposes unknown. I would imagine you would at the least need to explain the reason you're doing this to local police. Rules regarding public assembly were strengthened last year. If you would be using hotel conference facilities, you should contact them regarding what's needed to legally host a meeting.

Even when we've had an annual condo co-owners meeting, I believe the police have had to be notified and at some of the meetings over the last few years a uniformed police officer has been present at least briefly.

http://www.dejudomlaw.com/immigration/overview/

No to either.  Just getting information on work permits.

41 minutes ago, wobalt said:

If you are recognized as expert you would most likely be invited by the organizer i.e. by the university, government agency/ministry or private organization.  In that case no WP is needed.

Do you have a link to the regulation that states this? I am unaware of any such blanket exclusion. The only situations I know of where experts can come in and work without work permits are experts connected with diplomatic legations, and international organizations like UNESCO.

• Like 1

I am not aware of a link. However I have been working on government to government base in the past and now I am recognized as expert in my field, even representing Thailand agencies in international conferences or workshops abroad.

I mentioned this law quite some time back. I have not heard of a single person that was teaching English being prosecuted for working without a wp. I am wondering if it is because of this law and in fact they do not need a wp as long as they are on a marriage visa.  The royal decree is speaking of the 1997 and 2007 constitution madra 50  (I think )

It says academic freedom to teach and receive knowledge shall be protected  (or something similar to that ) .  Has anyone ever heard of a person being prosecuted for teaching English? ??

8 hours ago, greenchair said:

I mentioned this law quite some time back. I have not heard of a single person that was teaching English being prosecuted for working without a wp. I am wondering if it is because of this law and in fact they do not need a wp as long as they are on a marriage visa.  The royal decree is speaking of the 1997 and 2007 constitution madra 50  (I think )

It says academic freedom to teach and receive knowledge shall be protected  (or something similar to that ) .  Has anyone ever heard of a person being prosecuted for teaching English? ??

Don't need a wp when on a marriage visa?  LOL!!!

8 hours ago, greenchair said:

Yes, i have known it to happen (two different schools) here in Phitsanulok. Actually, regarding your wording i can't confirm that the teachers were 'prosecuted' but the schools in both cases were fined and the teachers lost their jobs. This was back in 2005/2006 period and there were a lot of schools investigated up here during that period.

I am not involved in education here but did know all 4 teachers personally. Teachers need work permits, unless something has changed between then and now!........................;)

Edited by chrisinth