UK Pension payments in Thailand

UniqueWord

With apologies I have been joining in this forum, but I was wrong simply because I have a uk military pension not a national pension. I realised my mistake when I read a pension is payable at the age of 65, where I with my pension was paid at 50.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

OK, I will go with taking a bar of chocolate from Woolworths without paying. or scratching part of the '3' off the old labels on chickens in Tesco so the price looked like GBP 1.49 !

You highlight exactly what is wrong with the UK population and their sense of values when it comes to government benefits, they think it's not real money, they think it;s OK to take it because they contributed to something or other and they think it's a soft crime, it isn't it is and it's not, in that order.

BTW your Tesco chicken pricing scam confused the s**t out of me, say what!

4 hours ago, rockingrobin said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/restricting-non-residents-entitlem

1 hour ago, chiang mai said:

You highlight exactly what is wrong with the UK population and their sense of values when it comes to government benefits, they think it's not real money, they think it;s OK to take it because they contributed to something or other and they think it's a soft crime, it isn't it is and it's not, in that order.

That's just the point it's not a benifit,although I believe the government is now trying to change the words.

It is basically a savings a/c into which you pay throughout your working life, with the expectations that once you retire, you will receive money back,without any trickery by the government refusing yearly increases because you happen to live in Thailand rather than the Phillipines.

If a private pension company had tried to basically fiddle it's customers/ contributors in this fashion they would be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

But unfortunately as we all know the banks and the government are not subject to the same sense of values as are expected from the man in the street.

Forget about ALL the excuses here, IF you are caught living in LOS but pretending to live in the UK you will be financially stuffed if caught or grasse up..I know one who was...You cannot hide behind 'but'.......They will want their money back...

If you are getting someone in the UK to do the life cert.....They are implicated.....Folk who sign that form must be looking over your shoulder as you sign, a witness to the fact.....,

1 hour ago, chiang mai said:

Your error (versus my opinion) is that you are taking a simplistic legal view.

You may criticise the moral argument but it is a strong driver for many people. Feeling wronged has been the rationale for many a decision.

I do feel strongly about the iniquity of the non-increases for expats living in Thailand. Is simply isn't fair - and let's keep it in perspective, gaining an an annual increase by 'cheating' is not in anyone's wildest dreams comparable with robbing a bank! However, the subject has been done to death and the government won't U turn on that one.

It is not about thinking this is not real money - far from it. Our different positions stem from the fact I believe I am 'entitled' because the UK pension is an entitled by virtue of the NIC terms I entered in to. Nobody told me 44 years ago that by coming to Thailand I would forfeit the annual increases.

The money is not important and I have a few years to decide whether to 'take the risk'.

(the TESCO story - student days - before bar codes. Goods would have a sticky price label. Tesco's were almost in 3 parts and scraping away the first part would make a "3" look like a "1". In those days TESCO staff were on par with 7/11 assistants and they would ring up 1.46 instead of 3.46, thus saving 2 Quid. Technically an offence under the 1968 Theft Act but in student days it was considered a bit of a jape!).

Many thanks for all the replies.  I have a lot of information and some very useful links to look into.  Also apologies for not finding the UK Pensions topic on TVF; in my 2 years of membership I have rarely posted or tried to search for topics, so I am acually quite useless at searching the topics data base.
Right off the bat, if IBAN is only used within Europe, what would be the appropriate thing to put on the Pension Clain form?  Or is this covered in the Bangkok Bank link provided in one of the replies?
Cheers, UW.

The State Pension was a right 44 years ago, along with the yearly increases, but that was then and this is now.

Since then many things have happened which many expats believe, with the benefit of hindsight of course, government should have been aware of back then: population growth, demographic changes, a poorly performing financial model and more. Regardless, government didn't accurately forecast all those things yet they are still held to be culpable for inadequate planning, it's their fault quite clearly!

And then there's the issue of this perceived contract that was made 44 years ago, the one where supposedly the government committed to do this that and the other if everyone paid their NI, the one that NOBODY can produce although many swear they have seen it!

Finally there's the issue of rights, the one where 65+ year old expats in Thailand insists, nay demands, UK government pay them what is owed to them, their yearly increase. These are the same ex-citizens who have left the UK shores many years ago yet continue to suck on mother UK's teats, pensioners who stopped being economically active within the UK economy many years ago, pensioners who now regard Thailand as their home, pensioners who legally benefit from non-residency tax laws, pensioners who (in far too many cases) already scam the NHS via a contrived accommodation/residency address and much much more.

Puleaseeeeeeeee!

1 minute ago, chiang mai said:

The State Pension was a right 44 years ago, along with the yearly increases, but that was then and this is now.

Since then many things have happened which many expats believe, with the benefit of hindsight of course, government should have been aware of back then: population growth, demographic changes, a poorly performing financial model and more. Regardless, government didn't accurately forecast all those things yet they are still held to be culpable for inadequate planning, it's their fault quite clearly!

And then there's the issue of this perceived contract that was made 44 years ago, the one where supposedly the government committed to do this that and the other if everyone paid their NI, the one that NOBODY can produce although many swear they have seen it!

Finally there's the issue of rights, the one where 65+ year old expats in Thailand insists, nay demands, UK government pay them what is owed to them, their yearly increase. These are the same ex-citizens who have left the UK shores many years ago yet continue to suck on mother UK's teats, pensioners who stopped being economically active within the UK economy many years ago, pensioners who now regard Thailand as their home, pensioners who legally benefit from non-residency tax laws, pensioners who (in far too many cases) already scam the NHS via a contrived accommodation/residency address and much much more.

Puleaseeeeeeeee!

Thats total rollox.......

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Thats total rollox.......

And what passports do they hold ?  Have they served their country in any way ? Did they pay their way towards a pension .? Is there a law that says as a uk citizen people cannot move and live abroad ? Not that I know of, but there is also no law that says uk citizens returning to their birth place without criminal records have to join the long line of refugees and benefit seekers who have paid ZILCH to a country that is not theirs, the same goes for the NHS, so I would suggest his comments were not Rollin but inflammatory

2 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

So where is this cradle to grave contract and if members feel so strongly that they want the increase, moving back is a solution because that's what the rules are TODAY.

Why move back and claim zillions of quid.....?

Easy to just give the pension that all have paid into wherever their feet rest....Those outside the UK claim sod all...

1 minute ago, transam said:

Easy to just give the pension that all have paid into wherever their feet rest....Those outside the UK claim sod all...

Easy for who, Thai based expats or UK government/Treasury?

And claim sod all what? If the comparison is a a UK based person who claims all they can, versus a Thai based expat who claims no benefits, it seems as though UK government is doing the right thing, no? Folks forget that benefits are aimed at target groups of people, those that are poor, impoverished and not expats in Thailand with all that entails!

7 minutes ago, transam said:

Forgot to add:

"Why move back and claim zillions of quid.....?", versus stay here and moan about an average 1% uplift per year. (yes I know about triple lock but that's an anomaly)

6 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Forgot to add:

"Why move back and claim zillions of quid.....?", versus stay here and moan about an average 1% uplift per year. (yes I know about triple lock but that's an anomaly)

You forget.....A farang can take a Thai bird back to the UK and after jumping through a couple of hurdles, gets a UK PP, she gets divorced from the farang and can claim zillions of quid when she has paid NOTHING....My chums bird is doing that NOW.......Yet, I/we cannot be given what we paid in for wherever we rest....

4 minutes ago, transam said:

You forget.....A farang can take a Thai bird back to the UK and after jumping through a couple of hurdles, gets a UK PP, she gets divorced from the farang and can claim zillions of quid when she has paid NOTHING....My chums bird is doing that NOW.......Yet, I/we cannot be given what we paid in for wherever we rest....

Excellent, hard hitting and smack on the nose post. Just add to this one bird, millions of others bleeding the uk dry, infuriating !

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Re: the chums bird:  there's always going to be scammers and exceptions although even you have to admit the rules are being tightened, in some cases, horribly so.

Re: yet we cannot be given .......we rest:  we are and we have, we still get our pensions but we're in the middle of a sea change process, ten years hence the picture will look much worse.

1 minute ago, DipStick said:

Excellent, hard hitting and smack on the nose post. Just add to this one bird, millions of others bleeding the uk dry, infuriating !

Before you go completely off the wall, the subject is UK State Pensions and not everything else!

1 minute ago, chiang mai said:

Re: the chums bird:  there's always going to be scammers and exceptions although even you have to admit the rules are being tightened, in some cases, horribly so.

Re: yet we cannot be given .......we rest:  we are and we have, we still get our pensions but we're in the middle of a sea change process, ten years hence the picture will look much worse.

Totally agree with you very likely to be a Muslim government with race riots.. It's very worrying 

How can s Brit Person claim more than he paid in.?. I worked in the U.K. as a guest, but took out a Swiss private pension at 16.. Fully paid up Brits over their working life get a raw deal imo .I paid roughly the same per month over my working life . but get over twice the amount my Brit Chums here get from the Swiss Insurance Co.. I recon the various Brit P.M.s have diverted the Real Worth of todays Brit Pension in favour of immigrants not the Old True Brits. As ive said before My Nation Portugal has few immigrants because it give F/A away  to Financial Refugees like the U.K does. Brits were conned im sad to say.Our Oldest Allie.:facepalm:

But you forget that foreign folk taken in to the UK are taken care of, UK folk who want to die wherever are not, yet the UK guy paid into a system, the foreign folk ain't.....

1 minute ago, transam said:

But you forget that foreign folk taken in to the UK are taken care of, UK folk who want to die wherever are not, yet the UK guy paid into a system, the foreign folk ain't.....

Transam forget it  you are beating your head against a brick wall, as the saying goes, their are non so blind as those that will not see. 

I know that there will be those who point fingers, but I served proudly with the RM and served six tours in NI, Cyprus, then the Falklands, but left and moved to Asia. It galls me that I, having served the uk proudly and exemplatory get pushed at the back of the queue on almost everything I should be entitled to by the yobs from the EU and now Syrians etc.

Great Britain is no more.

But, with apologies I hasten to add, five years ago whilst trying to get my Chinese wife a tourist visa to the uk, the consulate in Guangzhou took all my application documents then I gave her my military discharge papers, she being Chinese went to see a Brit officer and came back and issued my wife's visa within the hour. Was impressed and felt vindicated 

25 minutes ago, transam said:

You forget that the subject is UK Pensions uplift, you are getting your pension are you not, I thought so.

Dipstick: whatever you're on, send me some! The subject is UK Pensions, not Chinese wives, not UK visit visa's, not Muslims or anything else, OK!

You forget that the subject is UK Pensions uplift, you are getting your pension are you not, I thought so.

Dipstick: whatever you're on, send me some! The subject is UK Pensions, not Chinese wives, not UK visit visa's, not Muslims or anything else, OK!

Not wishing to correct you, but in the interests of accuracy the thread is actually about UK pension payments in Thailand. Specifically, the OP raised 2 questions - one about opening a UK bank account and the other about SWIFT codes to be inserted on the pension claim form.

2 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Not wishing to correct you, but in the interests of accuracy the thread is actually about UK pension payments in Thailand. Specifically, the OP raised 2 questions - one about opening a UK bank account and the other about SWIFT codes to be inserted on the pension claim form.

The thread is, that debate was not. But I accept it's always good when faced with an indefensible argument to play the get out card of rather than to report it as such, is it not! ;)

Out.

19 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Chiang mai without being obtrusive, I get the feeling that my consumption is probably way above you financial limits. I do agree that this post has changed direction, however it all boils down at the end of the day to the rights and privekages of GENUINE passport holders who are uk citizens. May I politely suggest that you raise your head out of the sand and see exactly what life and the situations are really about . I note you have a big post number , but I won't stalk as for some reason that's not acceptable . However going back to pensions, I have had mine being paid for 18 years and I haven't touched one centavo, satang ... Is it that difficult to understand ?

9 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Just to clarify/correct the above; you are referring to a DWP 'Life Certificate'.

The person certifying does not need a stamp and anyone who can countersign a British passport application can act as witness. The Pension Service also give 16 weeks now for the form to be returned. Issue appears to random, I know one pensioner who has had 3 in 3 years and one none in 4 years.

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad/report-a-change-in-your-circumstances

I disagree completely with your first sentence Jip. I have just had mine completed and returned. The signature had to come from a doctor, lawyer, government official or similar and a stamp was MANDATORY! I had mine signed and stamped by an immigration officer. Can't get much more official than that!

I think that the apparent randomness that you mention is linked to how often one communicates with DWP. I ask for a letter of confirmation from them every year in order to have my consular letter prepared. I suspect that this convinces them that I'm still breathing. This was my first life certificate in 5 years.

And back on topic again. I have my pension paid into Krungsri Bank every 4 weeks. Never had a problem.