Pattaya: Woman claims she was conned out of 3000 baht in Facebook scam

webfact

Woman claims she was conned out of 3000 baht in Facebook scam

Report by Pattaya One News Team

pat4.jpg

PATTAYA: -- At 9pm, on the evening of September 15, forty-seven year old Ms Supranee Jekmadun, from Nakornrachasima, made a statement to Pattaya police about a gang who she believes have conned her out of 3000 baht using a Facebook page.

She claims it is a fanpage called Tan Ichitan (Free Gifts) and that on the evening of September 14 she had been sent a message saying she was a ‘lucky winner’ and had been put forward for a free draw to win one-million baht.

All she had to do was buy three True Money Cash Cards, for one-thousand baht each, and send a photograph of them to the facebook page.

She did this and received a confirmation message.  Later she was asked to do exactly the same thing again and began to feel suspicious.

So she has made a statement to the police and urged others not to fall for the same trick.

Source: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/231729/woman-claims-conned-3000-baht-facebook-scam/

pattaya-one_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya One 2016-09-16

My guess is that as time goes on, internet and online scams are just going to get more and more creative, and plentiful. Buyer beware. I buy alot of stuff online. My general rule of thumb is, do I know the person or the business? Do they have a reputation? Do I have any recourse should there be an issue? Who are they? Do they have a physical location? Can I use a credit card that gives me buyer protection, and can that card be used on a secure platform? Or better yet, can I use my paypal account? Just basic precautionary stuff that a self respecting individual employs as protection against the millions of scammers out there, who will do anything in their power to avoid getting a real job. Do not make it easy for the vampires or pirates. 

A lot of questions have to be asked of these fools, who pretend to offer their services. And 9999 times out of 10,000, when someone tells you that you won alot of money, and then asks you to pay them some money, in order to get your money to you, it is a scam. Just break it down. Stupidity is an amazing and curious thing. It is the most common element in the universe, after hydrogen and oxygen. 

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” 
― Albert Einstein

“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.” 
― Søren Kierkegaard

“Evil isn’t the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it’s a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference.” 
― Jim ButcherVignette

“There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.” 
― Frank Zappa

Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. P. J. O'Rourke

Stupidity is something unshakable; nothing attacks it without breaking itself against it; it is of the nature of granite, hard and resistant. Gustave Flaubert

We are in danger of destroying ourselves by our greed and stupidity. We cannot remain looking inwards at ourselves on a small and increasingly polluted and overcrowded planet. Stephen Hawking

"Between a fellow who is stupid and honest and one who is smart and crooked, I will take the first. I won’t get much out of him, but with that other guy I can’t keep what I’ve got." General Lewis B. Hershey - Director Selective Service System

“I’m so smart now. Everyone’s always like ‘take your top off.’ Sorry, NO! They always want to get that money shot. I’m not stupid.” Paris Hilton

“When you say I committed adultery, are you stating before the marriage of 1996 or prior to?” Deion Sanders

“You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young and beautiful piece of ass.” Donald Trump

Edited by spidermike007

8 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

Yeh, I don't get it either. Must be more to it somehow.

The scammer asked for the victim to take a picture of each card and send it to them.

I assume the pictures showed a code number (phone credit or similar), the scammer cashed in the codes leaving the cards worthless. That's my guess anyway.

7 minutes ago, nkg said:

The scammer asked for the victim to take a picture of each card and send it to them.

I assume the pictures showed a code number (phone credit or similar), the scammer cashed in the codes leaving the cards worthless. That's my guess anyway.

Correct,

3 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Has anyone ever seen a scam that does NOT totally operate on greed ?

or desperation.  (although frequently desperate from gambling debts) which is why these scams are so effective. The suckers actually self-qualify.  They got into hock by gambling money they borrowed and then tried to get out of hock by believing they had won in the most bare-faced con. Frequently people choose to believe they have won money in a lottery they know they never even took a ticket in.  Remember the old " You have just won The Irish Sweepstakes" scam?  The mind boggles that people can STILL be so gullible.

5 hours ago, nkg said:

Exactly that.

As soon as the scammer has the complete detail of the card he can cash in ASAP.

Similar fraud with anonymous cash cards in Germany,

Used by phone scammers from Turkish call centers e.g.

I guess other variants exist.

A classic fraud, "you have won/you get stash of cash, but pay first for expenses".

If only I could find the term used for it (it's not a "rip deal"?).

Edited by KhunBENQ

3 hours ago, Pattaya28 said:

Free gifts that cost 3000 Baht :cheesy:

Oh. And the mention of 1 million Baht.

Greed takes control of the Thai mind. 

..................... and then the penny drops !

Nothing "Thai" specific here ;)

15 hours ago, bark said:

Correct,

Thank you, the True page I found only had Thai language. So these cards have a number on them that can be plugged in and used by any person. Although can that then be encashed or is the fraudster simply carrying a lot of credit on his/her phone that surely can be traced?

22 hours ago, trogers said:

So, what money did she lose? She is holding 3 cash cards instead of money.

This incident just shows up a sucker...

I guess that she didn't even enjoyed the 3 cash-cards, because by showing them on FB everyone will be able to use them unless the bar-code/number  is covered.

I'm just wondering that she fell for it in the first plce, since the FB page is offering FREE products!!