Thai food everyday......?

JAFO

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More pictures to hopefully inspire others, even though I recognize that this may further annoy the MickeyD addicts out there. :)

DSCN3637.JPG

squash blossom salad

DSCN7013.JPG

charcoal grillled squid

DSCN7298.JPG

bananas, jackfruit and lamut from the garden

DSCN5793.jpg

nam prik and green beans

DSCN2869.JPG

yam plaa meuk (calamari salad)

DSCN5760.jpg

sadao beans (admittedly an acquired taste)

DSCN6536.jpg

sun dried mangoesDSCN6288.jpg

baby salad greens and squash blossom saladDSCN6646.JPG

My secret indulgence: baa mii noodles heeng piset at my favorite noodle shop. 40 Bht.

Edited by Gecko123

25 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Surely the pair of you would be better of posting your food pictures on facebook?

None of the 'photos bear any resemblance to typical Thai 'restaurant' food.

The whole point is what is "Thai" food? It isn't defined by just what is offered in restaurants. For most expats  who have access to cooking facilities, "Thai" food means food which can easily be prepared with Thai ingredients. If a person has dietary concerns, food can easily be modified to fit those restrictions. If you are fortunate to be able to grown your own food, the options are even greater. 

Every food dish I posted was of locally purchased food, and, in most cases, widely available. The only "Western" food stores I shop at are Makro, Big C and Lotus, and there are plenty of Thais in there purchasing the same things I am, so many Thais are using foreign ingredients in their cooking as well.

If you want to characterize "Thai" food as only what is available at the humblest sidewalk pushcart restaurant, so be it. I was just trying to help show that cooking at home using Thai ingredients, you can cook food pretty much any way you want to with far more variety than some have apparently concluded.

Edited by Gecko123

1 hour ago, gandalf12 said:
On September 17, 2016 at 8:28 PM, Strange said:

Thai food is thai food. The local market people sell all the same thing so after a while it gets boring. 

Only if you continue to buy the same thing. There is a wide range of Thai food so buying the same doesn't really enter into it. From the vendors in the street yes a lot of it is the same.

Been here for years & aware of the range of food. The local market (By locals everyday) has the same things for sale every single day. Everyday. With the exception of the random new person that decides to sell something "new". Its like eating off a menu of the same 60 things. There is a "Friday" market (Traveling one) with a better selection, but with that one, its 80% of the local one and 20% variety. 

There are a lot of things to look at and yes its good, but some of it I will not eat. If it smells rancid, it aint going anywhere near my mouth. I don't like the local mudfish full of pinbones. 

For me it gets boring. Good quality fresh bread, good quality steaks, mexican, vietnamese, italian, US country cooking, southern BBQ (BBQ Mind you NOT "burned meat over coals") good quality deli meats, cheese, on and on... 

I could cook a lot of my own food, but most of the time its hardly worth the price and effort, and cooking for 1 person causes a lot of wastage. 

I eat thai food most of the time but when dinner time rolls around Im like meh. 

34 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Surely the pair of you would be better of posting your food pictures on facebook?

Don't mind the pics and agreed that the pics don't look like restaurant food or local market food. Cooked at home. Looks good and I don't mind looking. 

BUT the posters that quote the whole thing over and over just to say "COOL" - there is a special place in hell for you lol

41 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

What is Thai food though ?

Tonight Iam having steak and mash potatoes and all the ingredient are grown/produced in Thailand. They will be bought and cooked in Thailand by a Thai person.

Are you saying my dinner is not Thai ?

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

What is Thai food though ?

I think this was the message I was trying to get across to folks. I have heard people whinge about it being terrible and nasty and can't eat it. I was like "WTH are you eating?"

I brought over my huge SST BBQ pit with a rotisserie set up. I love BBQing Pork ribs with my Hybrid spicy Teriyaki style sauce. My wife blanches them prior to BBQ. the meat just falls off. We BBQ the corn and other veggies like Broccoli and Carrots with some chilis from the yard

To the few that posted the foods here are loaded with pesticides and hormones could be some what true, unless of course you know your neighbors and see how they raise their pigs or fish. You just need to find the time to get know folks and all the best ingredients are around. We grow our own chickens free range. Next month we are building a small fish pond and another to raise some Crawfish as I know them as (but everything here is a Goong. 555)

But make no mistake, I love the curry from the north with big hunks of pork, Khao Soi, Kanom Jeen, Larb Moo, Nam Tak Moo...Shit. I am hungry now.

The OP said, " I was eating Gai Yan(basically rotisserie chicken) with my wife. This is quite good and honestly nothing really Thai about it."

Try the kind with the tamarind sauce. It's fantastic, and very Thai, never sold in the US in my experience. It's usually sold at places with the sign that it's grilled chicken Wichienburi style.

In my first year in Thailand back in the nineties I ate thai food everyday but by my second year I would have a bacon sandwich a couple of times a week and a sunday roast every other week.

The last 10 or so years I have been with my Mrs and she is an excellent cook we tend to eat thai food one day and farang food the next. For the last 3 years we have run quite a successful thai food business in Wales, we only use the best quality ingredients and this is maybe the thing that sets us apart from other thai food businesses in the area.

My favourite thai dishes would be pad krapow I love the stuff and like it quite spicy I can eat this for breakfast no problem, there was a place in Bang Bao on Koh Chang called mr big chef and he made the most delicious pad krapow I have had (don't tell the Mrs), alas he retired to Chaing Rai in April.

I love the prawns in tamarind sauce that we in Ao Nang last January they were to die for.

The father in law took us to a place just outside Ayutthaya where they were grilling this fresh water prawns and they were huge but delicious you could suck the meat out of the legs, my mouth is watering thinking about them.

The sister in law does a mean crab curry that even though it is a bit of a messy affair it is none the less delicious.

I like the squid in Thailand as well but not the dried stuff that smells like socks that have been worn for a week.

A few other things I like moo tort, khao moo daeng, bramuk yang, pad prik geang, pad king gai, pad moo kritiem pik thai, tom yam pla just too many to mention.

8 hours ago, mjef said:

After living for more than 2 and a half years in Thailand and having Thai food on a daily basis, now Persian food tastes too bland for me. Last time I visited Iran I lost a couple of kilos in two weeks. Even now that I'm in Singapore I still crave Thai food all the time. Luckily I learned to cook a few Thai dishes to survive. Thai food in Singapore sucks!

The only advice I can offer is eat local wherever you are far less disappointments or at least different kinds of disappointments

This requires an open if not quite adventurous mind

26 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I like Thai food but I have to consciously push myself to eat it more often. The reason is that I'm sure if I move away that I'll regret not eating it more often. But there are so many good interesting non-Thai options.

Oh the decisions decisions

On 18/09/2016 at 0:19 PM, JAFO said:

Good to see others that mix it up like I do. I struggled to understand when people would list why they were moving back to their home country and one was they were sick of Thai food. This morning will be a stop at the lady that sets up at a corner and sells the best Khao man Gai around. Nicest folk. Simple, healthy. portion size perfect. Because I have eaten this in Vietnam, Laos, US etc I never found this to be a Thai dish other then by name.

In all my years I have never craved anything fast food here. KFC, McDonalds, PizzaHut, Sizzlers etc. In ways sad to see that junk making its way here. I didn't eat it in the US why come here and do it. I would say the only thing I miss would be some good Tortilla Chips because I can make up a delish Salsa with all the ingredients here along with guacamole from my neighbors avocado tree. Occasionally when I am in BKK I will stop by Villa Market and buy up a few bags of Chips. If they do not have the ones I like I buy up the fresh tortillas and my wife makes us Tortilla chips. 

I wouldn't class Sizzler as junk food, I purchased a new york steak in Udon Thani the other day and had my fair share of the salad buffet, best steak I had in a long time.

KFC, McDonalds, Pizzahut I avoid like the plague, as that is junk food.

I will occasionally, once a month go to a local English bar and have a burger, and the wife's home made pizza every now and again, the rest is Thai food, until I need to have a steak, burger, pizza, just to make feel full and alive again.

18 hours ago, JAFO said:

I think this was the message I was trying to get across to folks. I have heard people whinge about it being terrible and nasty and can't eat it. I was like "WTH are you eating?"

I brought over my huge SST BBQ pit with a rotisserie set up. I love BBQing Pork ribs with my Hybrid spicy Teriyaki style sauce. My wife blanches them prior to BBQ. the meat just falls off. We BBQ the corn and other veggies like Broccoli and Carrots with some chilis from the yard

To the few that posted the foods here are loaded with pesticides and hormones could be some what true, unless of course you know your neighbors and see how they raise their pigs or fish. You just need to find the time to get know folks and all the best ingredients are around. We grow our own chickens free range. Next month we are building a small fish pond and another to raise some Crawfish as I know them as (but everything here is a Goong. 555)

But make no mistake, I love the curry from the north with big hunks of pork, Khao Soi, Kanom Jeen, Larb Moo, Nam Tak Moo...Shit. I am hungry now.

I think you're saying that home-cooked Thai food is great - as opposed to Thai food sold at restaurants/markets etc.?

Agree entirely that it would be wonderful to have neighbours growing veg, raising meat etc. - and therefore knowing whether they were battery farmed or free-range.  But not many of us (I suspect) are lucky enough to be in this position.

Never understood the guys I meet who decry Thai food as slop and swill and won't eat it.

I've heard a few say after 2 years here you don't eat Thai food...a load of baloney of course .

I like many Thai food varieties and eat thai food as a majority...but also Korean, Japanese, Indian styles. I guess some of my home cooking is western style..

I never overly liked Thai food until I came to Thailand.

I

My secret indulgence: baa mii noodles heeng piset at my favorite noodle shop. 40 Bht.

Some inspiring pics there gecko...and looks like they would all be budget conscious as well as tasty...
There is just so much variety here...just have to learn or be shown how to use some of it

Never understood the guys I meet who decry Thai food as slop and swill and won't eat it.

I've heard a few say after 2 years here you don't eat Thai food...a load of baloney of course .

I like many Thai food varieties and eat thai food as a majority...but also Korean, Japanese, Indian styles. I guess some of my home cooking is western style..

I never overly liked Thai food until I came to Thailand.

I

I loved it till I came here.The Sugar is too much for me,and The Chem as they call it

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Food bores me on any continent to be honest being as I'm caffeine and nicotine dependent.
At some point each day there's a need to throw down some serious calories and by then anything tastes good. My wife's Thai/Issan food habits make me crazy sometimes and I have to constantly remind myself she's the normal eater in the family.

English food just tastes too bland for me nowadays. Bread and potatoes have completely gone from my diet along with almost all red meat. Fish, chicken and seafood are all we eat now in the myriad of Thai dishes that the wife cooks but I do have a good juicy steak every few months if we go out to eat with friends.

On the odd occasion that we eat fish and chips I have it with black sticky rice. Otherwise 99% Thai food. Bought a couple of boat rods and we are catching our own fish now too. You can't beat the taste when it's totally fresh.

Never had a problem with Thai street food and the river prawns at a particular vendor in China Town in Bangkok are to die for.

I love eating rice dishes. I had a rice cooker in the house before I met my teerak. I was raised with often Indonesian dishes on the table. Some roots there so I was lucky enough not to have potatoes as the main course most days of the week. And when I moved out I ate even less potatoe dishes. Most days I'd eat rice dishes, followed by pasta on second place, third would be potatoe based dishes. 

When my teerak immigrated to my country we would both cook the same number of times or together. Well most days we'd help the other with (cutting, slicing, crushing, measuring, ...) preparations.  Most days we had rice, which could be either Thai, Indonesian or sometimes from some other Asian country. Often it would be my love who asked me to cook some European dish instead of rice. That could be a Dutch dish (read: potatoes) or Italian (pasta). Perhaps it was because she liked potatoe and past as much as rice or perhaps she was just lazy and prefered me to cook... 555 

Now Thai every day? Nah I rather not stick to one kitchen but if I had to I wouldn't mind too much. If I had to chose between Asian or European food every day, I would chose Asian. For my beloved wife it would have been a more difficult choise I think but she might end up missing her Som Tam eventually (we'd eat that once or twice a month but obviously not as a main course). 

On 19.09.2016 at 8:24 AM, Don Mega said:

I eat thai food every day. this morning for breakfast was scrambled eggs, a small tub of yoghurt and a glass of OJ. Lunch is a tuna and cheese roll and dinner will be steak and mashed potato.

eggs.. ok than in Thailand have..

cheese?

steak?

where in Thailand cheese, steak? its import food..

what shirt you smoke?:smile: