The multi non-immigrant O Visa and wife separation

My current situation is that I'm on my second multiple non-immigrant O visa obtaining both visas from Savannakhet.  I am separated from my Thai wife albeit legally married.  She is residing in the marital home and I live elsewhere.

In December, I intend to obtain a further multi non-immigrant O visa from Savannakhet.  I hold all the relevant signed paperwork apart from the original marriage certificate (lost about 15yrs ago) and on the previous visa applications I visited Amphur to update the Kor Ror 2 (registry entry) which I will do this time.

My question is, would there be any problem I may have in applying for a third multi non immigrant O visa from Savannakhet?

I understand that I can apply for an extension but for my wife to attend is impossible and therefore that would not be an option.

This is my first post, so please be gentle.

9 hours ago, khaorobt said:

My question is, would there be any problem I may have in applying for a third multi non immigrant O visa from Savannakhet?

There is no limit so a third shouldn't be a problem.

Did you provide a copy of the marriage certificate or just the Kor Ror 2?

I know of two expats in exactly the same situation as yourself.

Their estranged wives refuse to cooperate in attending an Immigration office, so they can't get an extension based on marriage, neither can they afford an extension based on retirement.

Both obtain yearly multi Non Imm O Visas from Savannakhet, one for the last 9 years, the other for 6 years, without questions.

• Like 2

There is no requirement for you to be living with your Thai wife to get a retirement extension to your Non O visa.

But what you do need  is:

• Be 50 years of age AND
  • have the financial requirements (money in bank OR monthly income OR the correct combination of funds of the two above).

Immigrtion does not really care if you are living with your wife or not for a extension based on retirement.

They may if you try to get an rxtension based on marriage to a Thai, but as long as you meet the requirements for a retirement extension they usually won't be concerned at all.

What you MAY find is some Thai consulates or embessies outside of Thailand wanting to see proof from your wife of marriage in the form of a signed copy of a marrige certificate, a house card, or a letter requesting you be issued a  visa based on marriage  before they issue a one year Multi entry Non O based on marriage to a Thai.

In fact Thai immigration often will prefer you swirch to a retirement extension rtaher than a marriage extension as the paperwor is simpler for them to process.

Just have the required funds.

Hi all

im looking for an answer which I'm sure all you guys will ridicule me for but believe me I have looked,my multi non o visa runs out in 28 Jan 2017 but I'm leaving Thailand and returning on 3rd Jan 2017

my question is will I get stamped at suvanapom airport for three months permission to stay if so will that be ok to renew my multi non o at the end of the three months or will I have overstayed ?

33 minutes ago, IMA_FARANG said:

There is no requirement for you to be living with your Thai wife to get a retirement extension to your Non O visa.

• Be 50 years of age AND
  • have the financial requirements (money in bank OR monthly income OR the correct combination of funds of the two above).

Immigrtion does not really care if you are living with your wife or not for a extension based on retirement.

They may if you try to get an rxtension based on marriage to a Thai, but as long as you meet the requirements for a retirement extension they usually won't be concerned at all.

What you MAY find is some Thai consulates or embessies outside of Thailand wanting to see proof from your wife of marriage in the form of a signed copy of a marrige certificate, a house card, or a letter requesting you be issued a  visa based on marriage  before they issue a one year Multi entry Non O based on marriage to a Thai.

In fact Thai immigration often will prefer you swirch to a retirement extension rtaher than a marriage extension as the paperwor is simpler for them to process.

Can you still get this type of visa if you are single, The one in which you have to go to Cambodia etc each 90 days and the one in which you have to show that you are in receipt of a pension regardless of how much it is.

46 minutes ago, IMA_FARANG said:

• Be 50 years of age AND

Edited by khaorobt

16 minutes ago, ianrodders said:

Hi all

im looking for an answer which I'm sure all you guys will ridicule me for but believe me I have looked,my multi non o visa runs out in 28 Jan 2017 but I'm leaving Thailand and returning on 3rd Jan 2017

my question is will I get stamped at suvanapom airport for three months permission to stay if so will that be ok to renew my multi non o at the end of the three months or will I have overstayed ?

As long as you enter the country on or before the enter before date on your visa you will get a 90 day entry.

Your visas validity means nothing once your are in the country. You could even apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife of the last 90 day entry you will get.

12 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Can you still get this type of visa if you are single, The one in which you have to go to Cambodia etc each 90 days and the one in which you have to show that you are in receipt of a pension regardless of how much it is.

You can only get a multiple entry non-o visa if you are married to a Thai or the parent of a Thai or are 50 years old or over.

You will find it difficult to get one for being 50 or over at most embassies and consulates. In order to get it you would need to meet the financial requirements of 800k baht in the bank or 65k baht income or a combination of the two totaling 800k baht at most locations.

As long as you enter the country on or before the enter before date on your visa you will get a 90 day entry.

Your visas validity means nothing once your are in the country. You could even apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife of the last 90 day entry you will get.

Many thanks joe as always most informative

9 hours ago, DoubleUpower said:

A couple is supposed to live together and not separately .Asking for a non-o in this particular situation is asking for trouble .If immigration finds out about this you can forget about applying for a retirement visa in the future .

I dont see what immigration can do if you are still legally married. Nothing says you need to live in the same place. I know several guys that spend 1-2 weeks with their wife and then go on holiday alone. I also know some guys that work in Rayong all week staying in Rayong and then return to BKK on the weekend to stay with their wife. 

Today I tried to renew my non immigrant OA in the belgium consulate but it was refused. No more OA visa for non-married people was the answer from the consul. He tolt me that this was changed from the 15th of September. Can only get 6 months tourist visa or a non 0 singel entry. Even if I want to make a proper retirement visa in thailand now I can't because the money have to be in my bank account 3 months in front.

8 minutes ago, bartomeer said:
9 minutes ago, bartomeer said:

Today I tried to renew my non immigrant OA in the belgium consulate but it was refused. No more OA visa for non-married people was the answer from the consul. He tolt me that this was changed from the 15th of September. Can only get 6 months tourist visa or a non 0 singel entry. Even if I want to make a proper retirement visa in thailand now I can't because the money have to be in my bank account 3 months in front.

The funds of 800,000 baht only have to be in a Thai bank account for 2 months for your first retirement extension.

3 months for subsequent extensions.

A single entry Non Imm O allows you the time the meet the requirements.

You cannot get an retirement extension from a Tourist Visa

Edited by Faz

The funds of 800,000 baht only have to be in a Thai bank account for 2 months for your first retirement extension.

3 months for subsequent extensions.

A single entry Non Imm O allows you the time the meet the requirements.

You cannot get an retirement extension from a Tourist Visa

Can I change an tourist visa 6 months to a non immigrant O in thailand and than make my extention?

14 minutes ago, bartomeer said:

Can I change an tourist visa 6 months to a non immigrant O in thailand and than make my extention?

Yes. Within the first 45 days of any 60 day tourist entry you can apply to convert to a Non Immigrant Visa/Entry. Once approved that will give you a 90 days stay and you can apply for a 1 year extension with the last 30 days. Conversion cant be done at all offices and you might need to make two visits to Bangkok.

If you can get a Non 'O' it would be the best choice as it avoids the need for a conversion.

If you can get a Non 'O' it would be the best choice as it avoids the need for a conversion.

True, but as I say Kap choeng want the the money 3 months on your bank account even if it is your first extention. I can transfer the money the 2th of October and I fly the 6th of October. I know that the transfer take a few days.

9 hours ago, bartomeer said:

You cannot get a OA visa at any honorary consulate. Those can only be issued at embassies and official consulates.

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 11:24 PM, ubonjoe said:

A non-o visa is meant to be for you to visit your wife not live with her.

Not sure how immigration would find out you are not staying with her or what they could even do about it.

It would be different if it was an extension of stay based upon marriage though.

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 11:24 PM, ubonjoe said:

to accompany your wife that is what that visa is meant for .not live in this country some place alone that is not accompanying .

• Like 1

On 19/09/2016 at 8:51 AM, ubonjoe said:

You can only get a multiple entry non-o visa if you are married to a Thai or the parent of a Thai or are 50 years old or over.

You will find it difficult to get one for being 50 or over at most embassies and consulates. In order to get it you would need to meet the financial requirements of 800k baht in the bank or 65k baht income or a combination of the two totaling 800k baht at most locations.

I'm not married. to a Thai.

I applied in person to the Thai Embassy in London on Monday the 19th Sept and collected it next day the 20th. It was a simple and as straightforward as before as long as you are old enough. You'll have to figure that out yourself as the website is rather confusing but as I'm over 65 it did not bother me.

I took my passport, 2 photos, money (125 quid) and proof of being in receipt of a pension (letter from the pension service or a bank statement), took a ticket from the machine, filled out an application form and gave it all to the girl in Booth 4 when my ticket number was called. Then waited till some bloke called out my name and gave me my receipt. In spite of it being packed and in its usual state of organised chaos I was in and out in just under half an hour. I'd got there at 11 am and left with a receipt in my pocket for the 125 quid.

Collecting it took 10 minutes and that's how long I was there. You get in the collecting queue at Booth 2 at bang on 11am, give her the receipt and bingo you're done, just like it has been in the past. I was relieved that it was still so easy and pleased with the service.

I got a non immigrant, type O, multiple (M) entry visa. That's what it's referred to in my passport.

It's a 10 - 15 minute walk from Gloucester Rd tube station or you can jump on a number 70 bus that goes along Queens Gate for one stop.