ISIL claims Minnesota attack

webfact

606x341_344289.jpg

SAINT PAUL: -- The ISIL-affiliated news agency Amaq says one of the group’s followers carried out the stabbing attack that wounded at least eight people at a shopping mall in the US state of Minnesota on Saturday.

“The executor of the stabbing attacks in Minnesota yesterday was a soldier of Islamic State and carried out the operation in response to calls to target the citizens of the countries belonging to the crusader coalition”, Amaq said in a statement.

The authorities say a man wearing a private security uniform and armed with at least one knife stabbed eight people at the Crossroads Center mall before he was shot dead by an off-duty police officer.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-09-19

FBI investigates Minnesota stabbings as possible terror act

By JEFF BAENEN and AMY FORLITI

ST. CLOUD, Minn. (AP) — A man in a private security uniform stabbed nine people at a Minnesota shopping mall, reportedly asking one victim if they were Muslim before an off-duty police officer shot and killed him in an attack the Islamic State group claimed as its own.

None of the nine people who were stabbed in Saturday night's attack received life-threatening wounds, St. Cloud police Chief Blair Anderson said. He said it doesn't appear that anyone else was involved in the attack at the Crossroads Center in St. Cloud, which began at around 8 p.m. and was over within minutes.

At a news conference Sunday, FBI Special Agent-in-Charge Rick Thornton said the attack was being investigated as a possible act of terrorism and that agents were still digging into the attacker's background and possible motives.

An Islamic State-run news agency, Rasd, claimed Sunday that the attacker was a "soldier of the Islamic State" who had heeded the group's calls for attacks in countries that are part of a U.S.-led anti-IS coalition.

It was not immediately clear if the extremist group had planned the attack or even knew about it beforehand. IS has encouraged so-called "lone wolf" attacks. It has also claimed past attacks that are not believed to have been planned by its central leadership.

Authorities didn't identify the attacker, but the Star Tribune of Minneapolis said the man's father identified him as Dahir A. Adan, 22. Speaking to the newspaper through an interpreter, Ahmed Adan, whose family is Somali, said his son was born in Africa and had lived in the U.S. for 15 years.

A spokesman for St. Cloud State University confirmed that Adan was a student there, but has not been enrolled since the spring semester. Spokesman Adam Hammer said Adan's intended major was information systems, which is a computer-related field.

He said police told him at around 9 p.m. Saturday that his son had died at the mall, and that police had raided the family's apartment, seizing photos and other materials. He said police said nothing to him about the mall attack, and that he had "no suspicion" that his son had been involved in terrorist activity, the newspaper reported.

Anderson said police had had three previous encounters with the attacker, mostly for minor traffic violations.

According to Anderson, the attacker, dressed in a security uniform and wielding what appeared to be a kitchen knife, began attacking people right after entering the mall, stabbing people in several spots inside the building, including corridors, businesses and common areas.

Five minutes after authorities received the first 911 call, Jason Falconer, a part-time officer in the city of Avon, shot and killed the attacker. Anderson said Falconer fired as the attacker was lunging at him with the knife, and continued to engage him as the attacker got up three times.

"He clearly prevented additional injuries and potential loss of life," Anderson said.

"Officer Falconer was there at the right time and the right place," he said.

Anderson earlier said the man reportedly made at least one reference to Allah and asked a victim if they were Muslim before attacking them.

Leaders of the Somali community in central Minnesota united to condemn the stabbings. They said the suspect does not represent the larger Somali community, and they expressed fear about backlash over the attack.

Minnesota has the nation's largest Somali community, with census numbers placing the population at about 40,000, but community activists say the population — most of it in the Minneapolis area — is much higher. The immigrant community has been a target for terror recruiters in recent years. More than 20 young men have left the state since 2007 to join al-Shabab in Somalia, and roughly a dozen people have left in recent years to join militants in Syria. In addition, nine Minnesota men face sentencing on terror charges for plotting to join the Islamic State group.

The attack in St. Cloud, a city of about 65,000 people 60 miles (95 kilometers) northwest of Minneapolis, began shortly after an explosion in a crowded New York City neighborhood injured 29 people. A suspicious device was found a few blocks away and safely removed. Hours before that, a pipe bomb exploded in Seaside Park, New Jersey, shortly before thousands of runners were due to participate in a charity 5K race. There was no immediate indication that the incidents were linked.

The mall remained closed Sunday. Of the nine victims — seven men, a woman and a 15-year-old girl — three remained hospitalized, officials said.

Photos and video of the mall taken hours after the incident showed groups of shoppers waiting to be released, including some huddled together near a food court entrance.

Harley and Tama Exsted, of Isle, were in St. Cloud to watch their son play in a college golf tournament and were in the mall when the attack happened.

"All of a sudden I heard pop, pop, pop," Harley Exsted told the St. Cloud Times. "I thought someone tipped over a shelf. All of a sudden these people started running. I just saw everybody running our way."

The couple were unharmed and said they helped another woman who was running from the scene to her car.

Falconer, who was shopping when he confronted the attacker, is the former police chief in Albany, which is about 15 miles northwest of St. Cloud, and the president and owner of a firing range and firearms training facility, according to his LinkedIn profile. His profile says he focuses on firearms and permit-to-carry training, and also teaches "decision shooting" to law enforcement students at St. Cloud State University.

__

Associated Press writer Bassem Mroue in Beirut, Lebanon, contributed to this report. Forliti reported from Minneapolis.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-09-19

American muslims have IMO overplayed their hand. A Trump double-bill is the last thing they want. Their sharia law and other accoutrements of pure islam have never been so far away. Their employment chances are through the floor, chances of family reunification gone. What they should have done is wait a few more years until the American demographic resembles that of Dearborn and then start agitating, bombing whatever to cause the roll out of the Caliphate.

Nice try, pity about the timing. Now prepare for the blow back.

The difference between a terrorist and a freedom fighter is a matter of perspective: it all depends on the observer and the verdict of the outcome.

I pray one day soon there will be an end to this madness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, ScotBkk said:

The difference between a terrorist and a freedom fighter is a matter of perspective: it all depends on the observer and the verdict of the outcome.

If someone is purposely targeting innocent civilians - men, women and children - they are terrorists. The dark ages are over.

We all know the overwhelming majority of Muslims are not terrorists. But acknowledging that there is a link between Islam and terror is appropriate and necessary.

Now, I'm no expert,
However, there are so many Muslims all around the world and these Islamic terrorists are a tiny percentage.

Why, can't this majority not extinguish this minority proving to the world they really are a peace loving religion if this is the case.

Always puzzles me ?

This Photo Goes Out in Tribute To The Men and Women in Uniform, Who Simplify The Words Honor, Courage & Commitment.

Officer Jason Falconer credited with killing suspect in mall stabbing in St. Cloud, Minn.

Csqu6g0WIAAD_zL.jpg

Edited by stander

These terrorists need a tough message ...they need to be discouraged to join

The only way to do this however will impact many of the unicorn human rights Politicians who need the votes and believe that voicing regret and action after the incidents is better than being tough from the start

I suggest bamboo racks, poison darts, removed toes as a starter broadcasted daily in SUHD format in the Isis areas ...make it graphic & make it loud ....it worked on the Americans during the Vietnam war and sapped all the motivation to fight

We need to stop the flow of fighters ...this is one way to stop recruitment

We have the technology to make it happen ....make them scared and head back to a normal boring life of kids , paying bills and haggling at the market

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, ScotBkk said:

Now, I'm no expert,
However, there are so many Muslims all around the world and these Islamic terrorists are a tiny percentage.

Why, can't this majority not extinguish this minority proving to the world they really are a peace loving religion if this is the case.

No-one knows what size that tiny %age is worldwide. When you look at it from a worldwide perspective, with Islamic Terrorists causing mayhem in at least 26 Countries worldwide. That %age is nowhere near as small as people think.

What is known, is that terrorists of whatever flavour, in order to operate, require:

1. A support network

2. Active sympathisers

3. Passive sympathisers.

People focus on the bad guys, the guys who pull the trigger, carry out the stabbing, detonate the bomb, wear the suicide belt and forget the network that allows them to carry out their atrocity.

1 hour ago, ScotBkk said:

We all know the overwhelming majority of Muslims are not terrorists. But acknowledging that there is a link between Islam and terror is appropriate and necessary.

Now, I'm no expert,

Always puzzles me ?

Maybe only a few are extremeists, but they all believe the same thing. That is why the other Muslins will not condemn these extremeist's actions even though they themselves would not be violent. Frankly it makes them as bad as they believe anyone not Muslim should convert or be killed.

4 hours ago, ScotBkk said:

Now, I'm no expert,

Always puzzles me ?

Cuz the majority of Muslims that aren't terrorist condone the actions of their vermin fellow Muslims that are terrorists. And in a lot of cases, knowingly or not, support Islamic terror operation by means of donations at their local mosque and from the proceeds collected during the process of carrying out halal certification. Actually a large majority of people in places like the UK and Australia are FORCED to purchase halal goods as they are given no other option. Australian Vegemite is halal certified <deleted>. Therefore, In fact a lot of non Muslim people living around the world are financing terrorists too.

5 hours ago, ScotBkk said:

I pray one day soon there will be an end to this madness

Oh yeah? How's this for a perspective?:

Freedom fighters do not attack unarmed civilians with kitchen knives. This was a suicidal, psychopathic serial killer who got his personal, eternal freedom via a hero with concealed carry.

Edited by MaxYakov

So to summarize. Every time somebody of Islamic faith has a mental breakdown, is in financial ruin, cannot handle the fact that they are gay or just hates the world for what ever reason, like so many of other faith do etc etc .They decide that it is all to tough for them and they don't want to go on living. So they decide suicide by cop [cuz they are cowardly and cannot do it themselves] and take a few people with them is the answer to their problems. Is ISIS going to say that the perp was one of "its soldiers" each time?

5 minutes ago, TEFLKrabi said:

I didn't see any political or anti-government agenda behind this so it's just plain murder, until proven otherwise. 

Thank you for proving my point. It is not murder because thankfully, as yet no-one has died :thumbsup:

This makes it either Political or Religious which makes it terrorism.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Falconer, who was shopping when he confronted the attacker, is the former police chief in Albany, which is about 15 miles northwest of St. Cloud, and the president and owner of a firing range and firearms training facility, according to his LinkedIn profile. His profile says he focuses on firearms and permit-to-carry training, and also teaches "decision shooting" to law enforcement students at St. Cloud State University.

Have to admit, you couldn't really expect a better person out shopping to be approached by a nutter with a knife.

Kudos Mr. Falconer.........................

17 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

Thank you for proving my point. It is not murder because thankfully, as yet no-one has died :thumbsup:

This makes it either Political or Religious which makes it terrorism.

ISIL can claim all they want but there is no proof that the murderer had any affiliation to them. If he had held up a black ISIL flag then it might be different. You see, ISIL can always claim people as their followers but it doesn't make it true. Of course, if the police go to his home and find he exchanged emails and planned an attack, then I will very happily change my opinion. 

As a man using a fictional character as is ID, I hope you understand the difference between fact and fiction. :)

6 hours ago, ScotBkk said:

Exactly! When was the last time it was reported that a planned terror attack by fundamental Islamists was foiled by moderate Muslims reporting the plan?

55 minutes ago, TEFLKrabi said:

ISIL can claim all they want but there is no proof that the murderer had any affiliation to them. If he had held up a black ISIL flag then it might be different. You see, ISIL can always claim people as their followers but it doesn't make it true. Of course, if the police go to his home and find he exchanged emails and planned an attack, then I will very happily change my opinion. 

As a man using a fictional character as is ID, I hope you understand the difference between fact and fiction. :)

Perhaps you should learn the differences between murderer and perpetrator. Thankfully no murder has been committed.

Then work on the difference between murderer and terrorist.

If you are still having difficulty, your next port of call should be to the FBI direct, they appear to have called it.

FBI investigates Minnesota mass stabbing as 'potential act of terrorism'

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/18/minnesota-mass-stabbing-mall-fbi-terrorism-investigation

19 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

Perhaps you should learn the differences between murderer and perpetrator. Thankfully no murder has been committed.

Then work on the difference between murderer and terrorist.

If you are still having difficulty, your next port of call should be to the FBI direct, they appear to have called it.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/18/minnesota-mass-stabbing-mall-fbi-terrorism-investigation

Thank you my wise and informed friend. I shall gladly read the article up to the point where they use the word "potential".