New Danger Along Jomtien Beach

rak sa_ngop

Thanks for the info about falling coco nuts. I will bring a helmet with when I go there next week. :D:D

You'll need more than a helmet mate. Imagine a 4 kilo weight dropped from the height of a 4 storey building. Might end up with more than a ding and a slightly sore head!!!!

Oki, then I bring a tank as well! :o:D

I see the Fire Dept is out today at the end of Soi 5 Jomtien with their giant cherry picker cutting off all the coconuts from the trees over the footpath.

For the first time ever I looked at the height of those trees, Some of them are real giants, if a coconut fell on a tourist from that height it would do very little for our image. I gave them a wide berth when I rode through there just now on the motorbike I'll tell ya!

Maybe it's a slow fire day as well down at the fire house :o

I see the Fire Dept is out today at the end of Soi 5 Jomtien with their giant cherry picker cutting off all the coconuts from the trees over the footpath.

For the first time ever I looked at the height of those trees, Some of them are real giants, if a coconut fell on a tourist from that height it would do very little for our image. I gave them a wide berth when I rode through there just now on the motorbike I'll tell ya!

Maybe, like our friends at immigration, the fire service read Thai Visa? :D

Maybe, like our friends at immigration, the fire service read Thai Visa? :D

Do you know I wuz wondering that as well :D

I must say that throwing coconuts at cats makes a change from throwing balls at the coconuts in the fairground, there must be some good shots killing all those cats.

I like cats, we have eight :o

Maybe if the people who feed the stray dogs could leave the food under a coconut tree, then

1) Tourists will be safer as the stray dogs will chase the tourist away

2) When the coconut finally falls, one less stray dog for city hall to eventually feed to the crocodiles and tigers

3) We will hear less about charity work carried out by certain individuals clever enough to train their children to stay away from stray dogs,

:D:D:D

#3 is especially funny! :o

What´s the situation about the coconuts today? Have they cut them down so I don´t have them onto my head when I arrive next saturday? :D

What´s the situation about the coconuts today? Have they cut them down so I don´t have them onto my head when I arrive next saturday? :D

Most are already down but I asked them to leave one bunch for you :D

Most are already down but I asked them to leave one bunch for you :D

Thanks! Then I leave the helmet at home and hope I can avoid the bunch they left for me. :D:D

• 4 weeks later...

Back home again after a nice vacation of three weeks in Jomtien. They heard that I was on my way so they hurried to cut all of the coconuts down before I arrived. So no coconuts onto my head during the period I was there. :o

IMHO Ccoconut palms and sugar palms should not be grown in urban areas. We have old sugar palms here at the condo and every year we have to get in heavy machinery to take down the nuts. We used to have a nice old man with a monkey to do the job but apparently that's no longer allowed.

But the falangs don't want the palms removed because "they look so nice against the sunset."

Can somebody tell me why when sugar palms do get cut, the cutters always leave 12 - 18 feet of stump that turns black?

When i was a kids .. my grandpa own a large durain farm ..

so when i was young i love running into the durain farm .. cos .. i would see my parent and grandpa and grandmom and everyone who saw me running in , running after me ..

it was really fun .. when you are a kids ..

Was watching "Man vs Wild" on the Discovery Channel recently. It's a survival show (what to do if you are lost in the Alps or on a desert island etc). He was climbing a coconut palm and noted a number of people die each year around the world from dropping coconuts. A coconut dropping from a mature tree can hit the ground with a force equal to a metric ton.