Storm surf battering erodes more Phuket beaches

webfact

Storm surf battering erodes more Phuket beaches

1474339061_1-org.jpg

Large sections of Bang Tao Beach have now been washed away by the strong waves over the past few days. Photo: Phuket Lifeguard Service

PHUKET: -- Officials at Sirinath National Park will rope off sections of Nai Yang Beach that have been washed away by strong waves during the current onslaught of dangerous heavy weather.

The battering began over a week ago, with large tracts of Nai Yang Beach washed away and trees along the shorefront felled. 

Sarawut Seesakukam, President of the Mai Khao Tambon Administration Organisation (OrBorTor), explained to The Phuket News that his office was unable to take action on the drastic beach erosion as the section of Nai Yang Beach affected lies within Sirinath National Park.

“I sent my officials to inspect the damage, but that area belongs to Sirinath National Park. Whatever action is taken must be done with in accordance with their instructions. We can’t do it,” Mr Sarawut said.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/storm-surf-battering-erodes-more-phuket-beaches-59168.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-09-20

“...I sent my officials to inspect the damage, but that area belongs to Sirinath National Park. Whatever action is taken must be done with in accordance with their instructions..."

Surprise, surprise, yet more government inaction. But, then again, maybe these officials actually do know how fruitless half-cocked erosion control measures can be without proper coastal planning and control, and an ongoing commitment to provide adequate financial resources to, at least, minimise the problem.

Unfortunately, in such a dynamic environment as the coastal zone, the end result of large waves occurring coincident with large Spring tides will always be beach erosion - after all, it is a natural process (which, all too often, is exacerbated by human interference).

This happened because the Thais never do anything till they have to...or it's too late. When you see beach erosion it has to be dealt with. Because it takes money out of the OrBorTors pocket to do anything, nothing gets done.