First lot of 35 scandal-plagued fire trucks ready to be delivered for use end of September

snoop1130

14 hours ago, Basil B said:

500B fines...

and transferred to inactive posts

Nope! From the New York Times, no less,  three years ago:

Now, after years of judicial proceedings and investigations by Thailand's anticorruption authorities, the Supreme Court here last month ruled that the deal, for the equivalent of about $183 million, was "massively overpriced." It sentenced two former senior Thai officials to prison terms for malfeasance and bid-rigging in the procurement of 315 fire trucks, 30 firefighting boats and other equipment bought from the General Dynamics business unit, then known as Steyr-Daimler-Puch Spezialfahrzeug.

Yet justice remains elusive, Thai officials say. Both convicted men, a former chief firefighter and a former deputy interior minister, have fled the country, according to the Thai news media.

Also absent on the day of the verdict — and during the trial — was Steyr, which was listed as a defendant but closed its office in Thailand in 2008 after the investigation started. The case against the company was suspended after it left the country.

Yep! In time-honoured Thainess, they fled the scene :cheesy:

A budget of basically 1,5 million Baht a fire-truck is not much, they have been standing for 10 years so they will probably need to change:

All rubber fittings

All rubber hoses

Rusted parts

Parts of the electrical wiring

Batteries

Tires

and so on.

And also complete overhauls of the engines as they have probably not been started for 10 ears.

Add all together and remember that everything that is not a standard part will be expensive to replace.

To compare; I use to build and service specialized transports. One customer ordered service cars, in each service car they wanted a unit to secure any money removed from ATM's during service (this is the non-standard part...) and the manufacturer of that unit charged my customers (equal to) 500,000 Baht per unit. After we built the first couple of service cars I had constructed an in-house solution (using standard parts) that I offered to my customers at a price that was 75% lower what they had payed before... I made 70% profit per unit!!! That's the difference between standard and non-standard parts....

38 minutes ago, Kasset Tak said:

A budget of basically 1,5 million Baht a fire-truck is not much, they have been standing for 10 years so they will probably need to change:

All rubber fittings

All rubber hoses

Rusted parts

Parts of the electrical wiring

Batteries

Tires

and so on.

And also complete overhauls of the engines as they have probably not been started for 10 ears.

Add all together and remember that everything that is not a standard part will be expensive to replace.

To compare; I use to build and service specialized transports. One customer ordered service cars, in each service car they wanted a unit to secure any money removed from ATM's during service (this is the non-standard part...) and the manufacturer of that unit charged my customers (equal to) 500,000 Baht per unit. After we built the first couple of service cars I had constructed an in-house solution (using standard parts) that I offered to my customers at a price that was 75% lower what they had payed before... I made 70% profit per unit!!! That's the difference between standard and non-standard parts....

That sound interesting, but was your unit insurance rated?

44 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Was Mr Prayut prime minister 10 years ago?

How is it possible to eradicate corruption existing since 60-80 years in two years.

Twenty years is a good goal.

I made no reference to the history of the PM.

I made no reference to corruption being eradicated in two years.

I made no reference to 20 years being an unreasonable goal.

But I will make a reference to your comprehension skills. They are sadly lacking and need attention.

My earlier post seems to have discombobulated you.

3 hours ago, halloween said:

Can anybody explain why a winch is needed on a city fire-truck?

oh! they are for getting the fat cats onboard

Try to board by themselves, and there'd be a fenderbender (tenderbender)

Without reforming the legal system, especially stopping granting bail to wealthy thieves, while they appeal, nothing will ever change here.

In fact, why are these people granted bail? They've just been convicted. To grant them bail is to cast a serious aspersion on the legal system, by suggesting they may not be. Lock them up while they exhaust the appeals system - then you might see some rapid changes to the Thai 'Justice' system...

On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 8:11 PM, ChrisY1 said:

Oh...come on.......nobody in high positions in Thailand goes to prison over corruption........the rip is done.....the detectives move in and sometimes find major faults.....but nobody is accountable...ever!

The fraudulenty obtained gains by the suspects are never ...ever returned........why??

Hi-so people are above the rule of law......and it seems always!

(... and it seems always!) wrong should read,  and it seems always!