Clinton, Trump decry latest police shootings of black men

webfact

Clinton, Trump decry latest police shootings of black men

By JILL COLVIN and KEN THOMAS

CLEVELAND (AP) — Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton decried a fresh round of police-involved shootings on Wednesday, with the Republican nominee saying he was "very troubled" by the killing of a black man by a white police officer in Oklahoma.

Courting black voters who have long spurned Republicans, Trump's event in Cleveland Heights' New Spirit Revival Center took a bizarre turn when he was introduced by boxing promoter Don King, who used a racial slur as he made the case for black voters to support Trump.

Trump's latest foray into the black community not only sought to connect with voters in Cleveland, home to a large community of African-American voters key to Clinton's prospects in Ohio, but also with moderate suburban voters, who frequently hear Clinton describe Trump as extreme.

King, introducing Trump, raised eyebrows when he said a black man is always framed by his skin color, recalling that he once told pop icon Michael Jackson "if you're poor, you're a 'poor Negro.' If you're rich, you're a 'rich Negro.'" An educated black man is "an intellectual negro."

King, who is black, continued: "If you're a dancing and sliding and gliding n-----— I mean Negro — you are 'a dancing and sliding and gliding Negro.'" Gasps and laughs could be heard from the audience.

The King incident underscored the often clumsy way in which Trump has made his appeal to minority voters. Many black community leaders and voters have been offended by his dire depiction of life in minority communities. Trump's outreach has also been viewed cynically as an attempt by his campaign to soothe concerns among more moderate, suburban voters.

At the end of the Ohio church event organized by members of his diversity coalition, Trump was asked about recent high-profile police shootings in Oklahoma and North Carolina. Trump said 40-year-old Terence Crutcher, who was killed in Friday's Tulsa, Oklahoma, shooting, "looked like he did everything you're supposed to do. And he looked like a really good man."

"This young officer, I don't know what she was thinking. I don't know what she was thinking but I'm very, very troubled by that," Trump said, calling it a "terrible situation."

But hours later he called for the expanded use of stop-and-frisk, a police tactic that a federal judge has ruled can be discriminatory against minorities. Trump said during a Fox News town hall taping that the tactic that gives police the ability to stop and search anyone they deem suspicious had "worked incredibly well" in New York, where it expanded under former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

Clinton notably made no direct mention of Trump in a speech in Orlando, Florida, focused on helping people with disabilities thrive in the U.S. economy. She pointed to the Oklahoma and North Carolina shootings at the start of her remarks, saying it added two more names "to a long list of African Americans killed by police officers. It's unbearable and it needs to become intolerable."

Clinton has made curbing gun violence and police brutality a central part of her candidacy. She has campaigned alongside a group of black women called the "Mothers of the Movement," who advocated for more accountability and transparency by law enforcement. The group includes the mothers of Eric Garner, Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown, black victims of high-profile killings.

Trump, joined by running mate Mike Pence at the Ohio event, has routinely praised police officers in his speeches to supporters. But after reading from notes about the role of the black church in the civil rights movement and vowing to help struggling black Americans, Trump questioned the Tulsa officer's reaction in shooting Crutcher, who was unarmed.

Video of the shooting, which Trump cited, shows Crutcher's hands up as officers approach and Crutcher then appears to place his hands on a vehicle before the officers surround him. He then drops to the ground. Someone on the police radio says, "I think he may have just been tasered." Then almost immediately, someone can be heard yelling, "Shots fired!" Crutcher is left lying in the street.

Trump's meeting came after street demonstrations continued into the early hours of Wednesday in Charlotte, North Carolina. On Tuesday, 43-year-old Keith Lamont Scott was fatally shot by Charlotte police officer Brentley Vinson, who is black. Officers say Scott was armed and posed a threat. Police used tear gas to disperse protesters during the demonstrations that left about a dozen officers injured.

During the question-and-answer session at the church, Trump said he was a "tremendous believer in the police and law enforcement, because we need that for our society." But he said law enforcement was also troubled by the police-involved shootings, adding, "People that choke, people that do that, maybe they can't be doing what they're doing."

Clinton, meanwhile, has aimed to make a more proactive case for her election and not get drawn into daily skirmishes with Trump. Campaigning in Orlando, she pledged to provide more job opportunities to people with disabilities and get rid of the sub-minimum wage for people with disabilities.

While she steered clear of Trump — with the exception of her campaign mantra, "Love trumps hate," — the topic was an implicit poke at Trump's much-publicized mocking of a disabled journalist during a rally last year.

__

Thomas reported from Washington. Associated Press writers Catherine Lucey in Orlando, Florida, and Bill Barrow in Cleveland contributed to this report.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-09-22

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It begs the question, it what world blacks will NOT be shot by cops and vise versa  no matter who's the president and what year it is?  So to go on lamenting the shooting of a black person by a white cop just for propaganda and electoral points that really serves no points and it's only look and sound good by the warring, opposing parties.... 

The national police crime wave of the past several years against black Americans continues.

Most instances are unarmed black males to include children. Most instances are of police summarily and arbitrarily shooting to kill unarmed black males, sometimes in the back. Sometimes a black female is involved by a berzerker cop running around a swimming pool in a neighborhood, other times by a racial cop who hauls a black woman out of her car and into a noose in a cell.

The police fraternal organisations and unions have endorsed Trump. Almost every killer cop is a white Republican-supporting right winger. These cops did not vote for Barack Obama and they will not vote for Hillary Clinton.

The national police crime wave against a particular class of citizens is firing on all cylinders.

Yes. A lot of police in the US are full of fear, fear created from poor training and poor aptitude for the job. Maybe the authorities should start looking at and addressing these "root causes" instead of making up BS excuses and lies about what happened each time and African American is shot and killed by a law man.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

"This young officer, I don't know what she was thinking. I don't know what she was thinking but I'm very, very troubled by that," Trump said, calling it a "terrible situation."

Why don't you know what she was thinking, you are the Trump, you should know what she was thinking, you very troubled man.

2 hours ago, Publicus said:

The national police crime wave of the past several years against black Americans continues.

Most instances are unarmed black males to include children. Most instances are of police summarily and arbitrarily shooting to kill unarmed black males, sometimes in the back. Sometimes a black female is involved by a berzerker cop running around a swimming pool in a neighborhood, other times by a racial cop who hauls a black woman out of her car and into a noose in a cell.

The police fraternal organisations and unions have endorsed Trump. Almost every killer cop is a white Republican-supporting right winger. These cops did not vote for Barack Obama and they will not vote for Hillary Clinton.

The national police crime wave against a particular class of citizens is firing on all cylinders.

If you have an open mind, you may want to review some of the recent independent studies that examine this issue in detail.  You would be surprised, as the actual results counter public perception.  

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

It begs the question, it what world blacks will NOT be shot by cops and vise versa  no matter who's the president and what year it is?  So to go on lamenting the shooting of a black person by a white cop just for propaganda and electoral points that really serves no points and it's only look and sound good by the warring, opposing parties.... 

I think propaganda is the right word.  Blacks are killed at a rate that is much less than Whites.  

3 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:
5 hours ago, Publicus said:

Almost every killer cop is a white Republican-supporting right winger. 

Link p!ease. :rolleyes:

Well, now I had to go and look this up. From the research I could find is that a majority of work-related cop deaths are by accident and a much smaller percent were due to what the FBI calls "felonious incidents". Now a majority of the offenders were white, but it didn't break it down into political beliefs.

Per the one article I found in the Washington Post:

"There were 511 officers killed in felonious incidents and 540 offenders from 2004 to 2013, according to FBI reports. Among the total offenders, 52 percent were white, and 43 percent were black."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2015/01/09/are-black-or-white-offenders-more-likely-to-kill-police/

I also found that US officers killed as a result of crime has been steadily going down since a peak in 1980.

8 hours ago, Silurian said:

Well, now I had to go and look this up. From the research I could find is that a majority of work-related cop deaths are by accident and a much smaller percent were due to what the FBI calls "felonious incidents". Now a majority of the offenders were white, but it didn't break it down into political beliefs.

That is exactly my point. Blaming conservatives is just wishful thinking. :thumbsup:

14 hours ago, Publicus said:

What? 

Gonna need a source please. 

12 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

Read my post to the thread, currently No. 7. It references the unstoppable national police crime wave occurring against black males in particular but not exclusively, against black adults although not exclusively.

You've read my posts over time to numerous threads about racial cops (or wannabe cops) shooting unarmed black guys. Or a berserker cop wrestling a black girl to the ground at a swimming pool. Or smothering a black guy peddling cigarettes on a NYC street. Or a child with a toy gun. Etc.

The police fraternal organisations and other police unions throughout the country have endorsed and support Trump. We're talking about officers of the law who if you say to 'em black lives matter go ballistic. Those guyz. The ones with all the racist jokes about President Obama and others.

They certainly didn't vote for Obama. Overwhelmingly, the cops across the country belong to Trump and vice-versa. That is their idea of police work. 

15 hours ago, Publicus said:

I can provide links because I'm telling the truth.

948 shot.  782 had a deadly weapon.  258 were black.  18 of 948 were under 18.

Attack in progress 730.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings/

Edited by Scotwight

The national police crime wave against certain black Americans has become high profile and the American people agree it is a serious problem. It has become representative of the confluence of police, race, guns, and now Trump.

The Fraternal Order of Police, the largest police union in the US, endorsed Donald Trump for Potus, last week. FOP always endorse the Republican for Potus (2012 being the exception as Romney was anti-union across the board...FOP did not endorse Obama in either of his elections).

The police are not neutral so let's hope they never actually do become professional. Low socio-economic status white people they are. The vast majority of 'em. 

38 minutes ago, Publicus said:
13 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

Read my post to the thread, currently No. 7. It references the unstoppable national police crime wave occurring against black males in particular but not exclusively, against black adults although not exclusively.

You've read my posts over time to numerous threads about racial cops (or wannabe cops) shooting unarmed black guys. Or a berserker cop wrestling a black girl to the ground at a swimming pool. Or smothering a black guy peddling cigarettes on a NYC street. Or a child with a toy gun. Etc.

The police fraternal organisations and other police unions throughout the country have endorsed and support Trump. We're talking about officers of the law who if you say to 'em black lives matter go ballistic. Those guyz. The ones with all the racist jokes about President Obama and others.

They certainly didn't vote for Obama. Overwhelmingly, the cops across the country belong to Trump and vice-versa. That is their idea of police work. 

I normally don't say this because most people can bring something with SOME aspect or basis of truth, but you have taken it and went on another galaxy. 

27 minutes ago, Publicus said:

The national police crime wave against certain black Americans has become high profile and the American people agree it is a serious problem. It has become representative of the confluence of police, race, guns, and now Trump.

The Fraternal Order of Police, the largest police union in the US, endorsed Donald Trump for Potus, last week. FOP always endorse the Republican for Potus (2012 being the exception as Romney was anti-union across the board...FOP did not endorse Obama in either of his elections).

The police are not neutral so let's hope they never actually do become professional. Low socio-economic status white people they are. The vast majority of 'em. 

Do you realize how racist you sound? 

Still waiting on your source, and please bring something other than a news link. 

Just now, Strange said:

Do you realize how racist you sound? 

Still waiting on your source, and please bring something other than a news link. 

You are not engaged.

Consequently, you haven't any replies. Only quickie summary dismissals of the realities of life. A couple of you over there posting away here.

3 minutes ago, Publicus said:

You are not engaged.

Consequently, you haven't any replies. Only quickie summary dismissals of the realities of life. A couple of you over there posting away here.

Oh Im engaged you better believe it. 

But there is nothing to reply to, nothing factual, just your extremely head-in-the-cloud opinion. 

3 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

in other words, you have no evidence at all. It is nothing but a - very partisan - personal opinion.

The nation's largest police union, the Fraternal Order of Police, last week endorsed Donald Trump for Potus. That is their idea of police work.

Police are in fact from low personal socio-economic status and have only a limited formal education. Contemporary and "modern" Police Departments are a bureaucracy in which they look out for themselves. 

The first municipal and county formal police forces in the USA at the turn of the 18th century were organised by members of the official Slave Patrol forces that voluntarily ran down runaway/escaped slaves in the South.

Get a clue...

A Brief History of Slavery and the Origins of American Policing

http://plsonline.eku.edu/insidelook/brief-history-slavery-and-origins-american-policing 

Thx for the occasion to point things out.

Cops are racists of a low socio-economic background and education. The standard education requirement in the US states to become a cop is a high school education or its equivalent. If these guyz weren't cops they'd be turning a screw on a factory floor all day each day in the old neighborhood. 

2 minutes ago, Strange said:

Right, so if I go home tomorrow and become a policeman, I then become a low class uneducated racist with slavery ties to the late 18th century? 

Straw-man much?

Curious how the post transmogrifies the topic into a focus on you theoretically becoming a cop. And travelling back in time to do it besides.

You wanna come back down to earth here with the rest of us whose feet are on the ground.

Where'd you go to uni again plse thx?

14 hours ago, hdkane said:

If you have an open mind, you may want to review some of the recent independent studies that examine this issue in detail.  You would be surprised, as the actual results counter public perception.  

Did someone closeby say something....or anything at all....

10 minutes ago, Publicus said:
19 minutes ago, Strange said:

Right, so if I go home tomorrow and become a policeman, I then become a low class uneducated racist with slavery ties to the late 18th century? 

Straw-man much?

Curious how the post transmogrifies the topic into a focus on you theoretically becoming a cop. And travelling back in time to do it besides.

You wanna come back down to earth here with the rest of us whose feet are on the ground.

Where'd you go to uni again plse thx?

Thats like the 10th time Ive seen you (over several threads) request an educational background on the person you are talking to. I see you. I see you baiting. 

My educational background has nothing to do with weather or not I'm capable of individual thought. And I hardly think your educational background will sustain you in debating me. 

13 minutes ago, Publicus said:
15 hours ago, hdkane said:

Did someone closeby say something....or anything at all....

Pretty valid statement that you blew off. 

What I find disturbing is the lack of convictions of any police officers in cases where a man or woman has been shot dead.

For example, in Minnesota no police officer has been convicted since 2000 even though there 148 people have been killed by the police: http://www.startribune.com/no-charges-for-minnesota-officers-in-police-involved-deaths-since-2000/373981961/

In one of those cases, Minneapolis paid $2.19 million to the family of a black man who in spite of being unarmed was shot dead by police: http://www.startribune.com/minneapolis-to-pay-2-2-million-to-family-of-man-shot-by-police/124108234/

That total doesn't include the shooting death of Philando Castile the aftermath of which was streamed live to Facebook by his girlfriend Diamond Reynolds. Looks like the cop who shot him returned to duty for a short while which is amazing considering what happened: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/officer-shot-killed-philando-castile-back-leave-article-1.2766272

20 hours ago, hdkane said:

The post provides an excellent form for various predicates, issues, outcomes, effects.

Allow moi to show the form in what could be its original neuter modality....

If you (fill in blank), you may want to (fill in blank space) the recent independent, not petty partisan __________ that examine                   in detail. You would be                  , as the actual                   counter                         .   

Reading the post one would not know the thread topic is that the candidates running for Potus are making statements on the latest police shootings of black men.

It might be that the form post could also be utilised to say 'smoking cigarettes is not addictive if you smoke a filter cigarette after eating junk food, as each is actually healthy for both body and mind'.