Charlotte shooting: family releases video of Keith L Scott's last moments

rooster59

2 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I'm not black, I am however Hispanic, and as that in-between racial group I see both sides. I grew up in the California central valley in the 60's & 70's and can totally relate to the stop and frisk mentality of law enforcement.

Here I was a straight A student, headed to UC Berkley, and I could almost like clockwork expect on a weekend to be stopped and frisked at least once.

I have  on many occasions described my youthful experiences with anglo friends, curiously none of them have ever been thrown against a wall and frisked for just walking down the street.

Thankfully I was never shot, but I think the African American experience is mine x100

Where were you stopped and frisked.  Exactly where.  Reason I ask, I lived in South Los Angeles for several years.  Police were everywhere.  When I moved to Palos Verdes, not nearly as many police.  Not nearly as much crime.  And yes, I've been strongly frisked.  I wasn't in Palos Verdes.

Thus one of the reasons for those in the videos posted telling others to go after the real criminals in their neighborhoods. 

With respect.

:wai2:

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Where were you stopped and frisked.  Exactly where.  Reason I ask, I lived in South Los Angeles for several years.  Police were everywhere.  When I moved to Palos Verdes, not nearly as many police.  Not nearly as much crime.  And yes, I've been strongly frisked.  I wasn't in Palos Verdes.

Thus one of the reasons for those in the videos posted telling others to go after the real criminals in their neighborhoods. 

With respect.

:wai2:

I grew up just outside Bakersfield.

A once in a blue moon frisking is OK, but when it gets to be a weekly event, it becomes something you don;t easily forget.

When I moved to Berkeley for college, it actually took me some time to actually think of the cops as being on my side

Edited by GinBoy2

27 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I grew up just outside Bakersfield.

A once in a blue moon frisking is OK, but when it gets to be a weekly event, it becomes something you don;t easily forget.

When I moved to Berkeley for college, it actually took me some time to actually think of the cops as being on my side

I've spent a lot of time in that area.  There are some really tough places there.  Really tough.  My mother is from Visalia.  I've spent a lot of time in Kern County.

@PTC

You keep typing huge walls of text trying to shred up anything anyone says without trying to see what someone else is trying to say. 

You can sympathize with whatever. You can go on long rants about how no-one is qualified to have an opinion. 

The fact of the matter is, this police "Killing" will likely be justified.

What you "Feel" will not change anything. Im not a bigot or racist but unfortunately these things happen most of the time because of an individuals personal choices in life. 

White, black, orange, yellow does not matter. When you make the personal decision to start committing violent crimes and disobeying federal laws, the accountability is not on "Society" or the "Police" its on the person committing these crimes. These are the laws that every american abides by and the choice is theirs. Its no one else fault. 

35 minutes ago, Strange said:

@PTC

You keep typing huge walls of text trying to shred up anything anyone says without trying to see what someone else is trying to say. 

You can sympathize with whatever. You can go on long rants about how no-one is qualified to have an opinion. 

The fact of the matter is, this police "Killing" will likely be justified.

What you "Feel" will not change anything. Im not a bigot or racist but unfortunately these things happen most of the time because of an individuals personal choices in life. 

White, black, orange, yellow does not matter. When you make the personal decision to start committing violent crimes and disobeying federal laws, the accountability is not on "Society" or the "Police" its on the person committing these crimes. These are the laws that every american abides by and the choice is theirs. Its no one else fault. 

Out of curiosity, how may times have you been, stopped, frisked, thrown against a wall? I've never been accused, indited, even taken to a police station, yet I've lost count how many times I've been thrown against a wall, stopped, frisked.

That's a little of the problem we have very different life experiences when it comes to law enforcement, and that without the alternate reality that you miss, hard to understand that not everyone that gets oppressed is actually a criminal by virtue of their skin color

1 minute ago, GinBoy2 said:

Out of curiosity, how may times have you been, stopped, frisked, thrown against a wall? I've never been accused, indited, even taken to a police station, yet I've lost count how many times I've been thrown against a wall, stopped, frisked.

That's a little of the problem we have very different life experiences when it comes to law enforcement, and that without the alternate reality that you miss, hard to understand that not everyone that gets oppressed is actually a criminal by virtue of their skin color

That was in the 60's and 70's and if what you say is true, then yeah I'm sorry that happened to you. Does not change the topic of the thread nor the resulting actions from the BLM brigade. 

Im sure if I say something like "that was over 50 years ago" then you will mow me down with things that I can't verify and have to take your word for. 

What I'm saying is that the majority of whats going on today can be stopped by following the laws, peaceful protest, and the BLM brigade protesting and policing themselves and educating themselves. It is not my fault nor am I in any way accountable for the actions of a very fringe few. 

30 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I am proud to say that I have never been stopped , thrown against a wall, frisked, accused, taken to a police station or indicted.  But then I am white.

Edited by Slip

3 hours ago, Slip said:

I'm not sure what to say.  If you can't see that to say that black people are 'lost in a sea of hatred, envy, and drugs' is racist, then I lack the language to explain it to you, or at least you lack the ability to understand what racism is.

I do not think you know what racism is in America ... what I described is the life of millions of black people in America ... You are very naive and live in a fantasy land of denial ... What I described is the environment that produces men like Mr. Scott ... It is too bad you have no understanding of real life in black ghetto areas of the United States... You live in a tidy little dream world... 

47 minutes ago, Strange said:

That was in the 60's and 70's and if what you say is true, then yeah I'm sorry that happened to you. Does not change the topic of the thread nor the resulting actions from the BLM brigade. 

Im sure if I say something like "that was over 50 years ago" then you will mow me down with things that I can't verify and have to take your word for. 

What I'm saying is that the majority of whats going on today can be stopped by following the laws, peaceful protest, and the BLM brigade protesting and policing themselves and educating themselves. It is not my fault nor am I in any way accountable for the actions of a very fringe few. 

Seriously, you honestly believe that things have changed from my youth in the 70's?

The real change today is the advent of smartphones and body cams.What back in the day was hidden and forbidden is now in the public domain.

It's hard to sometimes accept reality, but if you think the 60's & 70's atrocities were in the past you are are in a delusional state

Edited by GinBoy2

Just now, JDGRUEN said:

I do not think you know what racism is in America ... what I described is the life of millions of black people in America ... You are very naive and live in a fantasy land of denial ... What I described is the environment that produces men like Mr. Scott ... It is too bad you have no understanding of real life in black ghetto areas of the United States... You live in a tidy little dream world... 

What I don't understand is the way you label people in this racist manner.  I recognise it, but I just don't understand it.  When you label black people in this manner, do you not understand that it may be true of some people of all races, but not all people of one?  Can you identify how a massive number of people in your country are discriminated against by your views? Of course not, because you are a racist.

I understand historic racism in America- the slavery, the segregation, the lynchings, the way that certain minorities have been and still are disadvantaged by white privilege.  It appears you do not, which is why you are still a cheerleader for it.   Happily things are becoming better very gradually, but your attitude is part of the problem rather than the solution. 

Now if you were to identify poverty as the problem as opposed to black people, then no one would think you were racist.  

10 minutes ago, Slip said:

What I don't understand is the way you label people in this racist manner.  I recognise it, but I just don't understand it.  When you label black people in this manner, do you not understand that it may be true of some people of all races, but not all people of one?  Can you identify how a massive number of people in your country are discriminated against by your views? Of course not, because you are a racist.

I understand historic racism in America- the slavery, the segregation, the lynchings, the way that certain minorities have been and still are disadvantaged by white privilege.  It appears you do not, which is why you are still a cheerleader for it.   Happily things are becoming better very gradually, but your attitude is part of the problem rather than the solution. 

Now if you were to identify poverty as the problem as opposed to black people, then no one would think you were racist.  

clearly, saying that all black people live a ganstah lifestyle is racist and also simply wrong...

about poverty - what do the statistics say? do white and black poor have the same risk of living a ganstah lifestyle?

12 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Seriously, you honestly believe that things have changed from my youth in the 70's?

The real change today is the advent of smartphones and body cams.What back in the day was hidden and forbidden is now in the public domain.

It's hard to sometimes accept reality, but if you think the 60's & 70's atrocities were in the past you are are in a delusional state

I honestly believe things have changed since the 60's and 70's to today. 

Im hardly delusional. Im sorry for what happened to you, and this may sound cold, but sometimes you got to let it go and move forward. That was 50 years ago. You have to be able to objectively look at things to find the best outcome. 

Mr. Scotts actions are what caused this unfortunate outcome. Not racism, not police, not me, Mr. Scott. Im not saying that the black community don't have grievances, and by all means its a free country and the right to peaceful protest is sacredly protected, but whats happening TODAY is hardly peaceful or lawful protest. Every person is accountable for their own actions. 

1 minute ago, Slip said:

Simply not true... You just cannot deal with the real world as it is ... flinging racism charges is just hogwash... Life is life -- and you seem to know nothing about real life in Black Ghetto America... In my younger years I worked in those ghetto project housing developments and that was quite an experience... That was years ago and It is much worse by a thousand times today...  I am disgusted by racism flingers like you who want to hide behind some platitude and ignore the real world .. .Gangsta Thugs, Drugs and Guns glorification, dehumanizing women, Rap Lyrics about HOs HOs HOs... extolling killing and beating people,  celebrating gang warfare, making fun of store clerks that they beat up and rob... There are a million examples of that black Ghetto lifestyle ... And if you do not think living in this sea of trash talk and violence has an effect on preteens, teenagers, young people in their 20's ... then you live on another planet.  And I have a right to free speech to tell it like it is ... And you can scream racist racist racist racist racist until you pass out and it will not have any effect on me.. Because I know the truth... and you won't even come close to accepting the truth because you cannot handle it .... Please go to your safe place and commune with the other delicate flowers and snowflakes ... The real world is too much for some of you who want to live in a fantasy land ...

1 minute ago, manarak said:

clearly, saying that all black people live a ganstah lifestyle is racist and also simply wrong...

about poverty - what do the statistics say? do white and black poor have the same risk of living a ganstah lifestyle?

Jeez its not racist to say that. Its wrong, but not racist. So tired this.... 

17 minutes ago, Slip said:

White Privilege -- what a joke .. You have no idea of the hard work, dedication and sacrifice that tens of millions of white Americans went through in the Great Depression of the late 20s and 1930's... You bathe yourself in ignorance about what white people in America went through to survive... Their offspring had a work ethic and worked at their jobs and did not have time for racism.   I would tell you of my Dad's story of just plain survival in the 1920s and 1930s but you are not deserving of hearing it with your preconceived notions  of White Privilege ... What you suffer from is White Guilt because you react only to emotion and not to facts... You ignorantly feel guilty for being white... a ridiculous notion ... Go talk to yourself snowflake ...  

5 minutes ago, Strange said:

Jeez its not racist to say that. Its wrong, but not racist. So tired this.... 

It is the very definition of racism.

"The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races."

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/racism

How can anyone discuss the issue when there is such a fundamental disconnect and misunderstanding of the words to be used in that discussion.

If this is not racism, then perhaps you might tell us what is?

5 minutes ago, PTC said:

It is the very definition of racism.

"The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races."

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/racism

How can anyone discuss the issue when there is such a fundamental disconnect and misunderstanding of the words to be used in that discussion.

If this is not racism, then perhaps you might tell us what is?

Bold ^^

Context^^

Its an incorrect generalization, but hardly racist

Edited by Strange

18 minutes ago, JDGRUEN said:

Simply not true... You just cannot deal with the real world as it is ... flinging racism charges is just hogwash... Life is life -- and you seem to know nothing about real life in Black Ghetto America... In my younger years I worked in those ghetto project housing developments and that was quite an experience... That was years ago and It is much worse by a thousand times today...  I am disgusted by racism flingers like you who want to hide behind some platitude and ignore the real world .. .Gangsta Thugs, Drugs and Guns glorification, dehumanizing women, Rap Lyrics about HOs HOs HOs... extolling killing and beating people,  celebrating gang warfare, making fun of store clerks that they beat up and rob... There are a million examples of that black Ghetto lifestyle ... And if you do not think living in this sea of trash talk and violence has an effect on preteens, teenagers, young people in their 20's ... then you live on another planet.  And I have a right to free speech to tell it like it is ... And you can scream racist racist racist racist racist until you pass out and it will not have any effect on me.. Because I know the truth... and you won't even come close to accepting the truth because you cannot handle it .... Please go to your safe place and commune with the other delicate flowers and snowflakes ... The real world is too much for some of you who want to live in a fantasy land ...

True indeed- everything I said was true.  I find racists unpalatable I admit, but the evidence you show is weak.  This 'gangsta' lifestyle you ascribe to black people is now and has been for decades quite mainstream.  I am in my forties and grew up listening to rappers and hip hop artists- it is art (whether you and other bigots like it or not).  You can be as disgusted as you like when I point out your racism, but it is what it is.  You have every right to free speech, but I dispute your right to hate speech (or if that is too strong then obviously racist rhetoric speech).  I don't need to scream anything, and I won't- only you have been using the capslock key.  You claim to know the truth but you seem mired in ignorance.  As for me being delicate, well again you show a lack of knowledge, but you are becoming overly personal again.  I guess you can dismiss me as a 'liberal' just one away from those African-Americans (sorry we can't call a spade a spade as you might wish here) despise so much.  

18 minutes ago, JDGRUEN said:

White Privilege -- what a joke .. You have no idea of the hard work, dedication and sacrifice that tens of millions of white Americans went through in the Great Depression of the late 20s and 1930's... You bathe yourself in ignorance about what white people in America went through to survive... Their offspring had a work ethic and worked at their jobs and did not have time for racism.   I would tell you of my Dad's story of just plain survival in the 1920s and 1930s but you are not deserving of hearing it with your preconceived notions  of White Privilege ... What you suffer from is White Guilt because you react only to emotion and not to facts... You ignorantly feel guilty for being white... a ridiculous notion ... Go talk to yourself snowflake ...  

I'm not talking about your dad in the 20s or mine in the 30's.  I'm talking about your overt racism here, now, today.  I will not stoop to insulting you in the way you do me.

Just now, Johnniey said:

Name calling isn't an argument.:saai:

Technically, you're right. But you probably understand what I tried to say. Labeling people is usually intended to delegitimize their viewpoint and/or an excuse not to engage in honest debate.

9 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

Name calling isn't an argument.:saai:

17 minutes ago, does said:

I don't think you got it. Name-calling is the argument of those who have no argument. 

I don't understand this exchange at all.  It isn't name calling to identify a racist as a racist anymore than it is to identify a spade a spade.  If we can't it call it out then how do we deal with racists?  If you can't call a racist a racist without being accused of 'name calling' where does that leave us?

Edited by Slip

4 minutes ago, Slip said:

I don't understand this exchange at all.  It isn't name calling to identify a racist as a racist anymore than it is to identify a spade a spade.  If we can't it call it out then how do we deal with racists?  If you can't call a racist a racist without being accused of 'name calling' where does that leave us?

Slip,

You must not be aware of this but the expression, "To call a Spade a Spade" is a favorite quote amongst racists.

11 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Slip,

You must not be aware of this but the expression, "To call a Spade a Spade" is a favorite quote amongst racists.

Its also a quote us Brits have used for long before "spade " was a racist word , we use it in context , how long before anything you say becomes"racist" i have used the term hundreds of times and not for a second thought it was anything but what it was ,a spade ,we use them to dig the garden .