Nonprofit: Chelsea Manning faces 2 weeks in solitary

rooster59

Nonprofit: Chelsea Manning faces 2 weeks in solitary

LEAVENWORTH, Kan. (AP) — A transgender soldier imprisoned in Kansas for leaking classified information to the WikiLeaks website faces up to two weeks in solitary confinement in part for attempting suicide, according to a nonprofit group that has been supporting her.

Chelsea Manning was sentenced late Thursday to 14 days in solitary confinement for a July suicide attempt and for having a "prohibited" book, "Hacker, Hoaxer, Whistleblower, Spy," by Gabriella Coleman, according to a statement from Fight For the Future. The statement was backed by one of Manning's lawyers.

Seven of the 14 days were suspended, but could be added to the sentence if Manning gets "in trouble" in the next six months, according to comments from Manning in the statement. She also said she can appeal the sentence and no date has been set for when the discipline would begin.

Army spokesman Wayne Hall said Friday in an emailed statement it "would be inappropriate for the Army to comment at this time."

Manning is serving a 35-year sentence at the military prison at Fort Leavenworth. She was arrested in 2010 as Bradley Manning and was convicted in 2013 in military court of leaking more than 700,000 secret military and State Department documents to WikiLeaks. Manningwas an intelligence analyst in Iraq at the time.

The ACLU also filed a lawsuit in 2014 against the U.S. Department of Defense over its refusal to treat Manning's gender dysphoria.

Fight for the Future campaign director Evan Greer said Friday that Manning dictated the information to a supporter who provided it to Fight for the Future.

"Forcing Chelsea back into solitary confinement as a punishment for her suicide attempt is extremely worrisome to me and counterproductive to Chelsea's mental and physical health," Nancy Hollander, a lawyer for Manning, said in an email Friday. "Essentially she is now being tortured as punishment for an act of desperation."

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-09-24

I thought Manning did just about 365/24/7 in solitary, apart from two guards who sit watch and say nothing on suicide watch.

The treatment of this individual is appalling. If they are guilty of a crime, then fine, bang them up in prison for 25 years and let them get on with it. Manning is not a supermax candidate. Jail herm and let the sentence be carried out, but having Manning in a bare cell constantly watched with lights on blah blah blah, away from any other interaction is not the actions of a civilised country carrying out justice.

6 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

I thought Manning did just about 365/24/7 in solitary, apart from two guards who sit watch and say nothing on suicide watch.

The treatment of this individual is appalling. If they are guilty of a crime, then fine, bang them up in prison for 25 years and let them get on with it. Manning is not a supermax candidate. Jail herm and let the sentence be carried out, but having Manning in a bare cell constantly watched with lights on blah blah blah, away from any other interaction is not the actions of a civilised country carrying out justice.

yeah! that sort of thing only ever happened at Gitmo

1 hour ago, Andaman Al said:

He tried to commit suicide and had a hacking book!  Did you miss that part?  He deserves solitary for that.  He's not in supermax, he's at a military prison.  He was in the military, remember?

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

He tried to commit suicide and had a hacking book!  Did you miss that part?  He deserves solitary for that.  He's not in supermax, he's at a military prison.  He was in the military, remember?

Well now lets just think about it! He is in a max security jail. Did he just pop down to the shops to buy it, or maybe order it off Amazon? Did YOU miss that part? His lawyer - doubtful, so look elsewhere about who could have delivered that. Staff/Guards or a plant. Wake up!

4 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

Well now lets just think about it! He is in a max security jail. Did he just pop down to the shops to buy it, or maybe order it off Amazon? Did YOU miss that part? His lawyer - doubtful, so look elsewhere about who could have delivered that. Staff/Guards or a plant. Wake up!

His lawyer admitted he had the book.  No conspiracy theories, please.

7 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

Jail herm and let the sentence be carried out, but having Manning in a bare cell constantly watched with lights on blah blah blah, away from any other interaction is not the actions of a civilised country carrying out justice.

Spies are often hung. You just do not commit such grievous offences in the military and get away with it.

2 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

Spies are often hung. You just do not commit such grievous offences in the military and get away with it.

So my point is, hang him then. Just stop the inhumane tormenting him. Try him, sentence him and punish him accordingly.

Edited by Andaman Al

7 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

If he's in such strict confinement the only way he could have got the book was with the connivance of the guards.

It's barbaric to punish someone for attempting suicide.

Bush lied to start the war in Iraq, but nothing happened to him although he is responsible for the deaths of thousands. Never underestimate the desire for revenge by the authorities when one of the little people embarrasses them.

2 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

You are wrong about that. Calley got away with his massacre, Oliver North got away with illegal acts in Nicaragua.  Westmorland would have been cashiered for his incompetence in a better world.

Actually the list is pretty long of bad people in the military getting away with it.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You are wrong about that. Calley got away with his massacre, Oliver North got away with illegal acts in Nicaragua.  Westmorland would have been cashiered for his incompetence in a better world.

Actually the list is pretty long of bad people in the military getting away with it.

None of your examples are spies. That is basically what Manning was.

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If he's in such strict confinement the only way he could have got the book was with the connivance of the guards.

It's barbaric to punish someone for attempting suicide.

Bush lied to start the war in Iraq, but nothing happened to him although he is responsible for the deaths of thousands. Never underestimate the desire for revenge by the authorities when one of the little people embarrasses them.

He's a spy.  He'll not get good treatment.  Great!  Spies know the consequences are dire if caught.  It's well known, especially if you are in the military.

This individual is sick.  Interesting how some support him. 

http://www.theatlantic.com/news/archive/2016/09/chelsea-manning-hunger-strike/499451/

Lawyers for Manning said the suicide attempt was linked to her despair that she may not be able to proceed in ongoing gender transition to a woman. 

Give me a break.  Why should the US pay for gender transition surgery to somebody in jail?  Insane.

1 hour ago, HerbalEd said:

Yeah, right. Someone tries to commit suicide, so they put him in solitary confinement for two weeks. 

This is a criminal.  There are more important things to worry about.  He was convicted of espionage.  In every country around the world, that's a big deal.

7 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

This is a criminal.  There are more important things to worry about.  He was convicted of espionage.  In every country around the world, that's a big deal.

He's in the same league as Snowden and Assagne.

Edited by Anthony5

For those who think that Manning's provision of information to Wikileaks is an insignificant issue, then it may be illuminating to see the other point of view.

https://www.chelseamanning.org/learn-more/bradley-manning

This site talks about Manning as a Military Whistleblower and Democracy Advocate. It suggests that information leaked by Manning exposed war crimes in Iraq and Afghanistan including the killing of unarmed civilians.

No military organization should be immune from investigation of war crimes. Secrecy and laws to protect secrets are not their to allow those who commit war crimes to escape prosecution.

I have seen on this thread posters refer to Manning as It or He. Since she identifies as female, it is highly inflammatory and disrespectful to refuse to acknowledge her gender identity. But I guess it is permissible for the Hang em High brigade to not be particularly respectful of others.

7 minutes ago, PTC said:

I have seen on this thread posters refer to Manning as It or He. Since she identifies as female, it is highly inflammatory and disrespectful to refuse to acknowledge her gender identity.

Manning was born a man and has a male sex organ. He is a convicted traitor. Who cares what he "identifies" as?

Manning is a Transgender person in a situation with which the military is woefully unable to cope. Her actions are seen by many as whistleblowing.

It is no surprise that people who believe that military personnel should be allowed to commit war crime such as slaughtering innocent civilians and be protected by Codes are also usually the same ones who have ignorant and bigoted views about minorities, including LGBT people.

I guess if you are a nasty in one area, then you are a nasty in other areas too.

37 minutes ago, PTC said:

I have seen on this thread posters refer to Manning as It or He. Since she identifies as female, it is highly inflammatory and disrespectful to refuse to acknowledge her gender identity. But I guess it is permissible for the Hang em High brigade to not be particularly respectful of others.

If Mr/Mrs Manning is insulted by my choice of pronoun then he/she is free to contact  me here to tell me so. 

Or are you saying you are feeling disrespected personally? 

Prisoner Manning (born male)  has made a personal choice to identify as a female. It is my personal choice to honor or not honor Mannings choice. 

Manning (or you) have no god-given right to tell me what words I can speak any more than I have a right to tell Manning to take off his skirt and put on a pair of man-pants.

22 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

None of your examples are spies. That is basically what Manning was.

Not in my book. He told the world about all the really bad things the US military was up to, and I consider him a hero.

The way the military treat him only confirms my viewpoint that the US military does some really bad things.

Either kill him for being a spy or treat him like a human being. What they are doing amounts to torture.

BTW, I served, so don't think I don't know what the military gets up to, or the character of some in the military.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not in my book. He told the world about all the really bad things the US military was up to, and I consider him a hero.

The way the military treat him only confirms my viewpoint that the US military does some really bad things.

Either kill him for being a spy or treat him like a human being. What they are doing amounts to torture.

BTW, I served, so don't think I don't know what the military gets up to, or the character of some in the military.

When was the last time the Military Courts sentenced a man to death? 

Is death a mandatory sentence for his crime? I highly doubt it.

i could care a less if he lives or dies but the fact remains that he made personal choices which have resulted in his incarceration. 

How is he being tortured? Is his treatment different from other convicts in solitary? 

Genuine question.

Thanks

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So did I. I do not see how it could function with every Tom, Dick and Harry making their own decisions about which military secrets are legitimate.

14 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

His actions are traitorous and he is serving time for it. He has forfeited any sympathy for being confused about his sexually identity.

I merely present the argument that some people regard Manning as a whistleblower and believe she should be treated as such. I agree with that point of view. I do not subscribe to th reactionary 19th century system of Codes that define military conduct.

You may keep your sympathy to yourself. Such feelings would be inconsistent with your nature. Furthermore, her gender identity is entirely her affair and your views count as less than nothing.