Keeping a Hyundai i10 running long time

FACTOR

Hello. I have a 2013 Hyundai i10 with 62,000 kms and I need to keep it running well for another few years (i.e. as long as I can) as I don't want to buy a new car anytime soon. It's been a good little car, with few, if any, major problems. I'd like to take into the Hyundai service center and tell them to do this and that to keep it running well. 

Does anyone have a list of essential maintenance points I should take care  of?

Thanks.

Any rides longevity relies on it's fluids, except electronics, you don't have any control over that...When out of warranty I would use someone like B-quik to change oil and filter, trans oil at the recommended interval, change brake fluid after say 3 years.

I say this because you can stand behind the fitters and SEE that stuff is done..:smile:

7 hours ago, transam said:

Any rides longevity relies on it's fluids, except electronics, you don't have any control over that...When out of warranty I would use someone like B-quik to change oil and filter, trans oil at the recommended interval, change brake fluid after say 3 years.

I say this because you can stand behind the fitters and SEE that stuff is done..:smile:

My local B quick although big is at best crap.

I always use Toyota my main dealer garage they will have the book on recommended service times. 

I'm sure Hyundai will print one off for you.

They should let you watch go round everything that they are doing that's if you want. Only thing you cant do is smoke well you cant in my one. 

At least they use the recommended oils etc.

B quick Buddha only knows what stuff they are using. My local one has oils on their shelf's that I have never heard of.

You will also get a free printed record of all servicing carried out. Top notch if you ever want to sell. I also get a free car wash with every service they carry out.

Use you local service centre and make sure they let you go with the car whilst they sort it out. 

Never go over your service time. Even before if it's in your price range. I have a full service at 5th km and not the 10th km suggested. Oils in this heat don't last that long.

Treat it with some sort of respect and you should be ok for years to come.

Best of luck.

Edited by fredob43

17 hours ago, fredob43 said:

I always use Toyota my main dealer garage they will have the book on recommended service times. 

They should let you watch go round everything that they are doing that's if you want. Only thing you cant do is smoke well you cant in my one. 

B quick Buddha only knows what stuff they are using. My local one has oils on their shelf's that I have never heard of.

You will also get a free printed record of all servicing carried out. Top notch if you ever want to sell. I also get a free car wash with every service they carry out.

Use you local service centre and make sure they let you go with the car whilst they sort it out. 

Never go over your service time. Even before if it's in your price range. I have a full service at 5th km and not the 10th km suggested. Oils in this heat don't last that long.

Best of luck.

Weeeell, I chat to B-quik boss at times so noooo probs for me.....:tongue:

1 hour ago, transam said:

Weeeell, I chat to B-quik boss at times so noooo probs for me.....:tongue:

Your one like many others I've no doubt maybe good but I can assure you the local one here although very big and tidy is the pit's.

It's also more expensive than using my local Toyota garage. All in all for me a lesser deal. 

Example.

They wanted 1,000bt more, well to be honest 20bt short of that to change the cam belt than Toyota, also said that it would take 4 hours.

Toyota took 25 Min: (not including the free valet)

When asked about guarantee was told they guarantee the belt no mention of the engine. I did receive a smile though.

There you go then a smile all's well.

On 9/24/2016 at 2:17 PM, FACTOR said:

Hello. I have a 2013 Hyundai i10 with 62,000 kms and I need to keep it running well for another few years (i.e. as long as I can) as I don't want to buy a new car anytime soon. It's been a good little car, with few, if any, major problems. I'd like to take into the Hyundai service center and tell them to do this and that to keep it running well. 

Thanks.

Nothing much you can do other than follow the manufacturers maintenance guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it serviced, thats it. There is no magic trick. Your manufacturers owners manual/User manual (Typically in your glove box?Comes with the car) have service guidelines for everything from your air filter to what kind of oil to run according to what climate the car is run in. 

62k is still fairly new, there is no reason the car can't get to 250k - 300k before it is no longer cost effective to repair. 

Just have a look at your manual and see what needs to be done. 

19 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Best of luck.

User manual for your car will have manufacturers recommended service intervals. No need to take a trip to the dealer. 

Just because you have never heard of the oils does not mean it is substandard. The toyota branded oils that toyota sells are the same oils in different containers. They are manufactured to the same standard and re-branded. 

You can change the oil every day if you want, but the manufacturer knows that if you select the correct oil, 10k km is perfectly fine. For example 2006 3.0 d4d would be an oil manufactured to API CF-4 standard, and in thailand climate a 10w-40 can be used. Thailand is not that crazy of a climate. In fact in the grand scheme of things, its pretty mild. 

Thanks for all the useful replies. 

Another thing -- I'd like to clean the engine, I mean the outside and the engine compartment, as it is very dusty and caked with grime. Is it ok to have an engine cleaned with water? My local car wash does engine cleaning with high pressure water but I'm not sure it's ok to spray water all over a car engine. Is it ok?

2 hours ago, FACTOR said:

Another thing -- I'd like to clean the engine, I mean the outside and the engine compartment, as it is very dusty and caked with grime. Is it ok to have an engine cleaned with water? My local car wash does engine cleaning with high pressure water but I'm not sure it's ok to spray water all over a car engine. Is it ok?

Yeah sure you can use water and hose the engine down just don't spray the air filter area. High pressure water is kinda subjective. I would not blast the engine with a 10hp pressure washer because you can force water into the weather-pack electrical components but a small electric unit or something comparable is totally fine. Just stay clear of the air filter area. 

A degreaser needs to be used though. Plain water won't do anything.

I would not have any issue taking a car to a busy auto detailing shop and letting them have at it, under the hood and inside. Completely normal thing to do and on a modern car its pretty easy. Keeping a clean engine compartment makes it so easy for future diagnostics as well. 

Only thing I would not do without proper investigation is a wax job done with a rotary buffer. Takes a bit of skill to do right and if done wrong can permanently damage a paint job. 

11 hours ago, Strange said:

User manual for your car will have manufacturers recommended service intervals. No need to take a trip to the dealer. 

Just because you have never heard of the oils does not mean it is substandard. The toyota branded oils that toyota sells are the same oils in different containers. They are manufactured to the same standard and re-branded. 

You can change the oil every day if you want, but the manufacturer knows that if you select the correct oil, 10k km is perfectly fine. For example 2006 3.0 d4d would be an oil manufactured to API CF-4 standard, and in thailand climate a 10w-40 can be used. Thailand is not that crazy of a climate. In fact in the grand scheme of things, its pretty mild. 

As the Op was asking for service information I just assumed that he didn't have the Book/Manual.

Last place you would get one would be places like B Quick or Toyota.

Re Oils.

The only time I had my oil changed at 10th was the first time on my Vigo and it came out like Black treacle.

Must have lost lot's of viscosity so decided to change it more regularly. It only cost peanuts well 1.500bt inc: so why not. My Spivo has done 90th+ now, and still as tight as a nuns ????

not a rattle or clunk anywhere.

If you look in the Toyota manual it says if you drive at high speeds they suggest you change at 5th. Not that I do drive fast but as most of my travels are on the 1/32AR I'll keep up with the big boys and they seem to think that 140+kph is the norm. To me that's not to slow. So 5th it is.

Agree with you on heat but at times in Thailand the temp: can get into the 40c in the shade. Many the time I have made a run in the morning lifted the Bonnet/Hood on my return and the radiator is still hot 5 hours later. To me that's hot.

11 hours ago, FACTOR said:

I have my engine cleaned every time I take it for a valet Every two weeks or so, less in the rainy weather. They do the under car engine every panel in the lump seats the full works they even black the peddles.

I have put a few snaps in? to give you some idea of how it looks after 7+ years.

Cost for all this is 150bt a go.

Suggest you find a local place that does the full works then after a while it'll look the same? What do they use well the soap spray followed by high powered water jet. Work for me never had a problem in the 10 years I have been having it done.

IMGP0012.JPG

IMGP0013.JPG

IMGP0004.JPG

Edited by fredob43

2 hours ago, fredob43 said:

As the Op was asking for service information I just assumed that he didn't have the Book/Manual.

Last place you would get one would be places like B Quick or Toyota.

Re Oils.

The only time I had my oil changed at 10th was the first time on my Vigo and it came out like Black treacle.

Must have lost lot's of viscosity so decided to change it more regularly. It only cost peanuts well 1.500bt inc: so why not. My Spivo has done 90th+ now, and still as tight as a nuns ????

not a rattle or clunk anywhere.

If you look in the Toyota manual it says if you drive at high speeds they suggest you change at 5th. Not that I do drive fast but as most of my travels are on the 1/32AR I'll keep up with the big boys and they seem to think that 140+kph is the norm. To me that's not to slow. So 5th it is.

Agree with you on heat but at times in Thailand the temp: can get into the 40c in the shade. Many the time I have made a run in the morning lifted the Bonnet/Hood on my return and the radiator is still hot 5 hours later. To me that's hot.

Ah yeah, well if OP does not have his manual anymore then manufacturer usually has a downloadable one on the web and there are other sources on the web as well.

I did not see your oil when you changed it, but sounds normal to me to have real black slimy oil stinking of either gasoline or diesel at oil change time. Indicates to me that the oil was functioning properly. It gets like that not from losing viscosity, but from contamination. On a broken-in engine (Over about 10K kilometers) the main contaminate is from engine blow-by past the piston rings contaminating the crankcase with either gasoline or diesel vapor. This contamination is 100% normal, nothing can be done about it, and built into the design of the engine. 

The 5th gear thing, the end game is to keep your RPM as low as possible without bogging the engine. Less wear on the engine and better fuel consumption. Trucks usually have real tight 1-2-3-4 gears and 5th is kinda like an "Overdrive" gear. Always shoot for the highest gear (Number) you can without bogging the engine. 5th is no different than 4th other than it takes more vehicle speed to get into it. Its not a "special" gear or anything. If you were not using 5th much and driving at higher speed, your fuel mileage would be horrible. Cruise in 5th and you will go a hell of a lot farther on a tank of diesel. 

Yeah Thailand can get hot for sure, but these cars and trucks are made to operate in below freezing and way above freezing with the only real change being engine coolant ratios and engine oil weight. Most cars and trucks live between 180-210 F and this is where they are comfortable. Point being what is hot to you, isn't really hot to the engine or its components. Parking your Vigo while hot isn't bad or hurting it, the biggest difficulty the engine has in the heat is sitting at a red light, idling, with the AC on full blast, cooling fans running full blast, and no road airflow passing through the radiator. As soon as you get moving again and there is airflow over the radiator and you are cruzing, even in 40C heat, cooling fans start to cycle again and everything is fine. 

2 hours ago, Strange said:

Ah yeah, well if OP does not have his manual anymore then manufacturer usually has a downloadable one on the web and there are other sources on the web as well.

I did not see your oil when you changed it, but sounds normal to me to have real black slimy oil stinking of either gasoline or diesel at oil change time. Indicates to me that the oil was functioning properly. It gets like that not from losing viscosity, but from contamination. On a broken-in engine (Over about 10K kilometers) the main contaminate is from engine blow-by past the piston rings contaminating the crankcase with either gasoline or diesel vapor. This contamination is 100% normal, nothing can be done about it, and built into the design of the engine. 

The 5th gear thing, the end game is to keep your RPM as low as possible without bogging the engine. Less wear on the engine and better fuel consumption. Trucks usually have real tight 1-2-3-4 gears and 5th is kinda like an "Overdrive" gear. Always shoot for the highest gear (Number) you can without bogging the engine. 5th is no different than 4th other than it takes more vehicle speed to get into it. Its not a "special" gear or anything. If you were not using 5th much and driving at higher speed, your fuel mileage would be horrible. Cruise in 5th and you will go a hell of a lot farther on a tank of diesel. 

Yeah Thailand can get hot for sure, but these cars and trucks are made to operate in below freezing and way above freezing with the only real change being engine coolant ratios and engine oil weight. Most cars and trucks live between 180-210 F and this is where they are comfortable. Point being what is hot to you, isn't really hot to the engine or its components. Parking your Vigo while hot isn't bad or hurting it, the biggest difficulty the engine has in the heat is sitting at a red light, idling, with the AC on full blast, cooling fans running full blast, and no road airflow passing through the radiator. As soon as you get moving again and there is airflow over the radiator and you are cruzing, even in 40C heat, cooling fans start to cycle again and everything is fine. 

Just had a new look at the Manual. Seems that if you do lots of short journeys, high speed trips, Driving on dusty roads, or lots of idling in traffic you should change oil & filter at 5thu KM.

You should also inspect cam belt every 30thu K. Replace 150k or 7 years whatever come first. Just a bit of trivia.

I wasn't in my post referring to 5th being 5th gear I was referring to 5thu KM oil & filter change. Whatever way you look at it most of us peeps will be doing much of the above so the 5,000km oil & filter change is almost a must.

All of the above is for diesel engines by Toyota. Not to be confused with other makes, but more than likely would apply. Petrol engines are another matter but they still recommend for those conditions shorter oil changes as well.

So there you have it from the horses mouth well Toyota book. Lots of other info as well, it's all there just read it.

Edited by fredob43

On 9/24/2016 at 2:17 PM, FACTOR said:

OP you have no worries,  great little car no reason why it wouldn't last 20- 30 years sounds like you don't know much about modern cars. :biggrin:

Just because it's nearly what 4 year old,  that's nothing especially with only 62 K on clock.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/hyundai/hyundai-i10-10-2013-review/

If your satisfied with your local Hyundai service centre then stick with their timetable.