The Voice (Thailand)

CMKiwi

I happened across The Voice (Thailand) while searching for the results of the American version.  Quite surprisingly I saw an episode that featured a local guy that does heavy rock at the Thai European bar in Anusarn Market.

Ive seen him a few times at the Thai European and the last time the missus went there, he mentioned he was going to be on The Voice Thailand.  He did an acca dacca number (AC/DC) and the judges were very impressed with one (Who is a bit of a Thai celebrity and can play elec guitar) getting on stage with this guy and doing another rock number.

These were the blind auditions so the show has a fair way to go till the finals etc.  I dont know the name of the guy from Euro Thai bar but he does put on a good stage show too...a lot of classic rock from Led Zep to Guns and Roses and a lot in between.  If youre in Anusarn market around 930pm and you hear some pretty good renditions of rock is likely to be this guy...well worth a listen to over a few pints!

I've seen him perform a few times at that bar beside the markets. He puts on a fantastic performance, and always looks like he is having a great time. Last time I was their I shouted him and the band a few shots of tequila and a nice tip. Hope he will continue to play there, as I want to take some friends next time I'm in Chiang Mai.

• 9 months later...

The last time I was there and its a while ago now...the guy was still there but not singing.  Apparently his doctor told him to give it a rest or he will lose his voice.  Probably not the best way of 'singing' then.   He must have been straining vs singing hence the problems he sufferred.

Its a pity as this guy was very good with hard rock numbers

6 minutes ago, CMKiwi said:

The last time I was there and its a while ago now...the guy was still there but not singing.  Apparently his doctor told him to give it a rest or he will lose his voice.  Probably not the best way of 'singing' then.   He must have been straining vs singing hence the problems he sufferred.

Its a pity as this guy was very good with hard rock numbers

Quite true. Rasping with the back of the throat or using excessive vibrato will cause immense damage. 50 years ago my voice was badly strained. I went to an Italian singing teacher who auditioned me and made me rest my voice for 3 months before he was prepared to give me lessons. My voice is still in good condition singing anything from heavy rock to opera and I get young people coming up and shaking my hand after singing. It does not matter what type of music you sing. If you abuse your voice, you can lose it altogether. One famous singer in the 1950s  in the UK had an operation on his voice. He not only never sung again, he was never able to talk  again. It is unfortunate that a lot of singers do abuse their voices including some opera singers.

I came across a similar thing when I was in the Army.  When on the parade ground and shouting out commands some would lose their voice,  however as part of training (During promotion courses mainly) we were always told to use your diaphram and not your voice box.

When I was initially told this I was a bit skeptical but when put into practise it worked.  No more sore throat and I could 'bark' out commands for hours.  But you still need to 'train' your voice if you want to keep it.