Thai Police Chief satisfied with progress of traffic alleviation

webfact

Police Chief satisfied with progress of traffic alleviation

BANGKOK, 26 September 2016 (NNT) – The National Police Chief has expressed satisfaction with the latest results of efforts to solve traffic problems while saying Section 44 of the interim constitution might be used to facilitate traffic. 

In his capacity as chairman of the subcommittee in charge of tackling traffic problems in Bangkok and its vicinity, National Police Chief Pol Gen Chakthip Chaijinda convened a meeting with 53 related agencies in order to follow up on the progress of traffic improvement. He said three issues were found to be the main causes of traffic congestion, consisting of the lack of discipline among motorists, poor road conditions and authorities’ failure to punish traffic law violators.

Nonetheless, Pol Gen Chakthip noted that after some adjustments, he is now happier with the performance of traffic police. Regarding the possible invocation of Section 44 in traffic work, he revealed that the idea is being considered and approval could be granted if the special law proves beneficial to the public and officers involved in traffic management. 

Meanwhile, according to Pol Gen Dechnarong Sutticharnbancha, National Police Advisor (Level 10), who is also the head of a related working group, a survey has been conducted on 21 main roads in the city and 41 spots were found to be in need of improvements. Actions have been taken in three areas, including increasing traffic lanes and eliminating bottlenecks. 

Parking bans have been imposed on the 21 roads while police have issued over 5,000 tickets to violators over the past ten days, leading to better traffic flow in such areas. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-09-26

He's clearly never taken a ride on the Ram Intra/Chalong Rat Expressway in peak hour! I live out at Soi Watcharapol, and what used to be a 35 minute run in peak hour is now no less than 1.5 hours...on a good day!  How about the dear Pol Gen Chakthip gets all his "traffic police" OFF the expressways in the morning, stop them blocking on and off ramps and trying to control traffic flow, and let the expressways do their job. The ONLY time it is ever a good run these days is when the the cops take a day off.

3 hours ago, Buffy Frobisher said:

He's clearly never taken a ride on the Ram Intra/Chalong Rat Expressway in peak hour! I live out at Soi Watcharapol, and what used to be a 35 minute run in peak hour is now no less than 1.5 hours...on a good day!  How about the dear Pol Gen Chakthip gets all his "traffic police" OFF the expressways in the morning, stop them blocking on and off ramps and trying to control traffic flow, and let the expressways do their job. The ONLY time it is ever a good run these days is when the the cops take a day off.

I never fail to be amused by those traffic cops blocking a lane waving traffic along the way they would have gone had he not been there in the first place... In most cases they are utterly pointless.

Thaksin To Spend $17b To Fight Bangkok's Jams 

thaivisa 2003

And it's quite probable that he would have spent 17billion baht to fight bangkok's traffic jams had the Army stayed in their barracks where they belong.

Thailand wouldn't have a sky train or Suvarnabhumi Airport if it weren't for Thaksin. That's a fact.

So lack of discipline among motorists, poor road conditions and authorities’ failure to punish traffic law violators"are the reasons for all these traffic jams in Bangkok. Does anyone seriously believe this garbage? Too many cars and not enough roads seems to be the primary problem. Failure to collect the outstanding fines of delinquent traffic infringers is hardly going to make any difference.

National police chief: traffic condition has improved in city

2609007-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Traffic condition in Bangkok has improved with motorists being able to shorten their normal travelling time by car by between 30-45 minutes on average, Pol Gen Chakthip Chaichinda, the national police chief, claimed on Monday after ten days of campaign launched by the police to solve traffic congestion problem in the city.

During the first ten days of the campaign, police have undertaken several steps to speed up traffic flow which include demolishing road islands in some of the 21 main roads, dismantling circles on Parnpipob, Rajdamnoen, Pracharath 1 and Na Ranong intersection to open up more road space.

The national police chief said authorities concerned would meet this Wednesday to discuss measures to improve traffic condition in other roads besides the 21 main roads.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/national-police-chief-traffic-condition-improved-city/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-09-27

20 minutes ago, webfact said:

...which include demolishing road islands in some of the 21 main roads, dismantling circles on Parnpipob, Rajdamnoen, Pracharath 1 and Na Ranong intersection to open up more road space.

The national police chief said authorities concerned would meet this Wednesday to discuss measures to improve traffic condition in other roads besides the 21 main roads.

Measure may include installing circles on Parnpipob, Rajdamnoen, Pracharath 1 and Na Ranong intersection to allow traffic on these roads to enter the main roads.

8 hours ago, ldiablo72 said:

And it's quite probable that he would have spent 17billion baht to fight bangkok's traffic jams had the Army stayed in their barracks where they belong.

Thailand wouldn't have a sky train or Suvarnabhumi Airport if it weren't for Thaksin. That's a fact.

Come on. Those 2 projects had been planned long before he came to power.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

motorists being able to shorten their normal travelling time by car by between 30-45 minutes on average

so if i take a 20 minute car trip in Bkk, i end up at my destination 10-25 minutes before i leave.  They've invented a time machine! :lol:

The only flaw is being able to drive to somewhere in 20 minutes.

Edited by taichiplanet

I haven't noticed any improvements. The police are still blocking off perfectly usable highway lanes with traffic cones during rush hour (they remove them after rush hour!), then waving/whistling at me to hurry up as I crawl along at walking pace, a couple of feet from the car in front.

4 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Absolutely no change for me. I don't even know why I'm bothering to write this.

I am thankful that you wrote it otherwise there could have been a slight chance I may have believed their BS and lies.

8 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

A key point you seem to miss: at least he was elected into office by the taxpayers to spend their money on those initiatives.

If they were unsatisfied with his government's performance they had the chance to vote him out in 2005, but he was re-elected in yet another landslide.

I wonder how much money has been lost thanks to coups, street protests and annulled elections? Billions upon billions no doubt but it would be impossible to get a true figure. Makes everything else pale into insignificance really.

That he was a criminal abusing his position to enrich himself is irrelevant to you? In the better parts of the world, being elected is not a licence to commit crime.