Outrage after two transgender women refused entry at Hong Kong International Airport

webfact

Outrage after two transgender women refused entry at Hong Kong International Airport

South China Morning Post

The pair, who were travelling to the city from Bangkok, were told they “did not satisfy the purpose of their holiday” to immigration officers

HONG KONG: -- A rights group has urged authorities to treat transgender people with more respect after two women were refused entry to the city at Hong Kong International Airport on Saturday.

The two transgender women were visiting the city from Bangkok for sightseeing and shopping.

Officials rejected the women’s visit because they did not satisfy the purpose of their holiday, the Immigration Department said.

The pair were told to sign two documents; one to confirm they had completed full gender reassignment surgery and one to confirm they would voluntarily go back to Thailand immediately. After refusing to sign the documents the women returned to Bangkok on Saturday night.

Full story: http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/education-community/article/2022314/outrage-after-two-transgender-women-refused-entry

-- South China Morning Post 2016-09-27

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“did not satisfy the purpose of their holiday” .... I suspect this is because the vast majority of ladyboys travelling to other countries are doing so to engage in sex work. I would like to know the particulars of this case. For example, I've seen people asked to prove they have enough money to support themselves for the duration of their stay. Upon not being able to show it, they are refused entry. Things such as having the correct visa, proof of hotel bookings and onward travel are also common requirements.

Maybe the world is not yet ready to accept gender change.

Maybe, just maybe, a lot of people can not, or don't want, to accept gender change.

Yes, also inThailand.

Is that really a ground for an outrage?

Or should we accept the fact there are people or countries that are not politically correct or don't want to be forced to accept something they cannot accept.

Nobody is the same.

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

This is a weird story.

Denying entry based on evidence of them being sex workers is defensible.

Denying entry because of the particulars of surgery for transgender people and/or only based on transgender status is a violation of human rights. 

well then I'd say HK doesn't regard them as human 

2 minutes ago, tifino said:

Well, they're wrong. Of course they're human. Incidents like this highlight why transgender civil rights has become a much more visible INTERNATIONAL issue in recent years. 

3 minutes ago, tifino said:

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

This is a weird story.

Denying entry based on evidence of them being sex workers is defensible.

Denying entry because of the particulars of surgery for transgender people and/or only based on transgender status is a violation of human rights. 

When you appear before Immigration dressed as Ronald McDonald, you would probably be pulled out for questioning too...

34 minutes ago, awayego said:

Ah, the voice of reason speaks again!

Pathetic!

The first part of your comment was absolutely right, sarcastic or not, the second part, ironically, was just as you described it.

40 minutes ago, Katipo said:

“did not satisfy the purpose of their holiday” .... I suspect this is because the vast majority of ladyboys travelling to other countries are doing so to engage in sex work. I would like to know the particulars of this case. For example, I've seen people asked to prove they have enough money to support themselves for the duration of their stay. Upon not being able to show it, they are refused entry. Things such as having the correct visa, proof of hotel bookings and onward travel are also common requirements.

I lived in HK from the ' 70s to the '90s and in respect of women anyway there was a regular range war between HK - Philippines - Thailand where thye took turns in denying young women entry on a tit for tat basis.

As for HK the ' reason ' was Immigration didn't believe the visitors were there for shopping and sightseeing but rather a profitable 14 day stay.

Thailand is far more accepting of sexual differences, than many other countries. 

Now with HK, Chinese trying to make it a clone of mainland, so aspects are tightening. 

Sadly, guess need to check OK to travel there & meet Immi requirements. 

6 minutes ago, eggers said:

Thailand is far more accepting of sexual differences, than many other countries. 

Now with HK, Chinese trying to make it a clone of mainland, so aspects are tightening. 

Sadly, guess need to check OK to travel there & meet Immi requirements. 

Perhaps, but Thailand isn't all that accepting either. Much of that is superficial. 

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's your problem that you don't know the proper terms for transgender people. It's not rocket science. Get educated. Bigotry and ignorance isn't cute. 

To call a male a male makes him a bigot?

Perhaps he is just someone well versed in the Biology of organisms.

47 minutes ago, Maejo Man said:

Until the law changes they will be a "Mr" till the day they die. Snip or no snip!

If their chromosomes say male then that is what they are. Call yourself what you want but your biology gives the definitive answer