"We love you Papa!" - farang repairing potholed road wows Thais!

webfact

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Good Lord- have so many of you lost your perspective on the simple fact that a man decided to fix a hole in the road because he was either tired of hitting it or seeing people fall off motorcycles and hurt themselves.  I have never seen so much negativity as there is in this thread. Some want him to leave; others say deport him; put him in jail etc. Others question whether the road repair will hold. Others question his age and talk about bar fines and other nonsense.

Some of you people have forgotten what life is really about- I truly fear for the future based upon the absolute negativity that is so prevalent on this board. Absolutely disgusting.

Well said couldn't agree more. Well done Papa

Good on him, crossed my mind many times, but my laziness got the better of me.

If someone can get him to the village I am in, I would be glad to pay him for his labour to fill in the many pot holes here, of which I am sick and tired of bouncing around in the Ute at 5 kilometres an hour every day when heading to town, swaying side to side as my neck goes out of joint, looking like one of those little toy lions mum and dad used to have in the back of their car with the bouncing head.

11 hours ago, Fookhaht said:

Oh man, this guy's gonna make it bad for the rest of us.  I can hear my Thai neighbor now:  "I wonder why old fat-so doesn't get out there and do our road too??"  

Tell him you can't do a job reserved for Thais and Mr Peter is now languishing in jail for working without a permit whilst on a retirement visa.That's what i'm telling my neighbors.

I hope that not more accident happen because they might think something's on the road. 

Shouldn't we raise some cash for the poor guy's knees? I mean C' Mon, you can't let such an older man knee down all day long.

I throw in 5 grands. Now it's up to you......

Please send the money to my account number # 23-457-2342-5 Bangkok bank Sisaket ( doesn't exist yet) 

8 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Good on him, crossed my mind many times, but my laziness got the better of me.

If someone can get him to the village I am in, I would be glad to pay him for his labour to fill in the many pot holes here, of which I am sick and tired of bouncing around in the Ute at 5 kilometres an hour every day when heading to town, swaying side to side as my neck goes out of joint, looking like one of those little toy lions mum and dad used to have in the back of their car with the bouncing head.

My suggestion.

Isaan vehicles.jpg

4 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Could have saved himself a lot of work and picked a sack of cold mix bitumen at Thai Watsadu for 85 baht.

And it would last 10 times longer.

tends to wash out at the first  sniff of rain , is  messier to  apply, trust me Ive been there bloody stuff sticks to everything except the road, i use a BLOWER to clean out  the holes  first though which gets 100% of the loose stuff out, the local repair plebs use a broom with twigs in which removes almost nothing.

Theyve switched methods round here now to a concrete lorry and lazily pouring out ( usually) way too much so you get a mountain of concrete as they cant control easily for smaller  holes.

4 hours ago, BlindMagician said:

A very temporary fix. Will crack up, fragment and disappear very quickly. Both the concrete and the man.

He means well.

lasts way  longer than the local "throw cold  bitumen in a dirty   hole and let vehicular traffic compress it " brigade

4 hours ago, sahibji said:

that is special mix concrete designed particularly for the job. not the home cocktail.

balls is it!! its  any ole crap they can get cheap,  this isnt fibre re inforced its  piss weak cement with 250%  water

Edited by kannot

I have done this myself too, concreting deep potholes in the village I used to live in, much to the amusement of the locals who just stood and watched and laughed at the stupid farang.

As I mentioned in another thread, the lovely new dual carriageway to the North of Hua Hin centre, which looked very impressive when finished a little over a year ago, is now marred by enormous repair patches, some of which are up to 100 metres long. The extension of that road leading to Cha-am is now being built with what looks like exactly the same technique, tarmac on compacted soil, so we can expect the contractors to be back again about one year or so after the road is completed.  Does no-one inspect the work or ever learn from their mistakes, or is it, as another poster suggested, just another money-earner and jobs for the boys.

I think its good he is doing something about a big problem.  

I used to clean the beaches in Jomtien every week , I was doing it to get some exercise and to show Thais that they should be ashamed of how dirty the beaches are. Of course in a few days it was all trashy again but I feilt I was doing something good. I guess he feels the same when he fix the potholes to prevent accidents, maybe even save lifes .

If social media can use it and make the locals aware of the problem maybe in the end they will fund more money to fix the roads. 

In the village where I reside we have the same problem and also have gravel trucks going back and forth all day dust is flying and pothole are getting deeper.

The villagers are use to that situation and are laughing when it come to discussion anyhow I was to thinking of doing the work myself but i did look at my visa and it is saying NO WORK so I navigate around pothole and forget about it.

The International Car Rental agencies should push for more funding to fix these potholes!    On a trip to Phitsanoluk (Wat Bot area)  roads leading to the dam were inundated with BAD pot holes, I"m sure some of the 

axels and undercarriage of the cars were damaged!   

20 hours ago, Jack Mountain said:

Why don't the local Thais repair it? 

yes this is what I thought....thais just dont think for themselves...and its not about the people around it is the local council at fault...this is another rincident where we can see how BS their whole system /going about things really is / they need a falang to do something about their OWN <deleted>:::ED  UP ROADS AND THAN THEY APPLAUSE THEM OOOHHH JAI DEE MAK MAK:::BUT TO GO OUT THEMSELVES MAYBE TEN YEARS AGO  ??? not an option for the no brainers....must be isaan somewhere....

2 hours ago, retoohs said:

I know a guy who was fined for painting his house because a Thai could have done it, I'm sure the authorities will look into this, lets hope common sense prevails for once regarding his no work permit.

Has to be more to this story.

Where was it, Pattaya?