Dem Dastardly Dawgs

DualSportBiker

I've always thought that a loose dog or a moped leaving a market would be my downfall. Market hours up-country require extra caution... Yesterday I was proven right.

Less than 100 meters from my front gate, lazily taking the bike for coffee rather than walking 400 meters in light drizzle, I was knocked off by a dog scampering out from under a truck. Lost the front wheel while standing on the pegs, went down to the right on my hip, side and head. My helmet did its job, the rest of me was not covered. 

I have a bruise on my hip that looks like half a ripe mango was grafted onto me, my ribs are sore enough that laughing, coughing and sneezing are not a laughing matter - certainly nothing to sneeze at! Bike is pretty much fine; crash bars did their job...AGV helmet needs replacing now.

So may I take this personal reminder to remind  y'all to watch out for dogs - they can be tricky. Oh, and slow down for markets between 4 and 6ish - seems like everyone leaving a market has to turn right or is going to make a u-turn in front of you...

Safer travels chaps! Bruised, but not Beaten!

Yes, dogs are a pain, black dogs who sleep in the road are a particular favourite of mine. I now ride a dirt bike especially at night, would I make it over the top of a dog, who knows?

The estate where I live has a new back entrance which is better for me, shortly after I started to use it, two dogs would come out and greet me, well maybe "greet" is the wrong word. Now I never wear flipflops only shoes and one time the bigger of these dogs came heading for me with obvious criminal intent. I closed the distance between us and at the last moment swung my boot out and caught him square in the face. It hurt my foot a little, so I assume the dog was not too pleased, anyway the dog yelped, went missing for a few weeks and now both dogs watch as I ride past. The moral, wear shoes/boots, it's the best defence.

Dogs are a problem because they are so unpredictable, anyway GWS and don't let the buggas grind you down.

Oh and if there are any dog lovers out there, they make a nice goulash.

My soi is a cut-through between two main roads - the coffee shop is on one of them, hence a bash-hat. I'd normally wear a jacket to go further than the coffee shop, and touring boots if I go beyond that.

Many years ago I took my nephews to the ER at a local hospital here. I asked one of the Drs to explain how many accidents he thought might have been walk-aways if the rider had been wearing shoes and/or gloves and/or a helmet. He showed them a few pics of missing toes, gashed heads, skin removed from hands... Did the trick. Also worked well as a reminder for me.

Boring, perhaps, even AR, but the simple facts are most accidents are local, and the injuries can be avoided by gloves, shoes and a bash-hat. "Too hot" is not an excuse I entertain...

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

wow... your smarter then me.. i use the bike a lot instead of walking to the front of the village.. but as long as i stay in the village i dont use my helmet. You did for a 400 meter ride.. well done it must have saved you a lot of grief.

I always plod slowly in soy's on my scoot or Versys because of kids and dogs darting out from places,  last year on a main road caught a dog that dashed out from the front of a parked truck with my left crash bar,  the Versys a heavy lump so didn't affect it much,  glancing in the mirror saw the dog still,  was gonna turn around but thought better of it,  forget when but some years before hit another dog in much the same way in the car and it smashed the front spoiler 2000 baht to replace. 

Were you going fast when you hit the dog on your Versys? I was going 20 perhaps, the dog hit the rear half of my front wheel. Not sure if I could have done anything about it, but curious...

12 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I always plod slowly in soy's on my scoot or Versys because of kids and dogs darting out from places,  last year on a main road caught a dog that dashed out from the front of a parked truck with my left crash bar,  the Versys a heavy lump so didn't affect it much,  glancing in the mirror saw the dog still,  was gonna turn around but thought better of it,  forget when but some years before hit another dog in much the same way in the car and it smashed the front spoiler 2000 baht to replace. 

i had a dog take me down a few years back. Same as you, it hit the side of the front wheel and i went down instantly. i was doing 20-30 kph; broken collar bone and graized knee. The REAL helmet, shoes and light gloves avoided any other injuries. The helmet especially did a good job as my head whacked the road fairly hard, not even a headache; though maybe the other pains masked the headache! :lol:

Even the short ride into the village for lunch i always wear jeans, shoes and helmet. After badly spraining an ankle, when i was tagged from behind doing a u-turn at 5 kph, i mostly wear my riding boots on the longer trip into the city with leather gloves. Even at 5 kph if you hit something the wrong way with an unprotected head it can create serious problems, but usually we just think "Naaa, never gonna happen to me".

Edited by taichiplanet

2 hours ago, DualSportBiker said:

Were you going fast when you hit the dog on your Versys? I was going 20 perhaps, the dog hit the rear half of my front wheel. Not sure if I could have done anything about it, but curious...

Well l don't know what you were riding l was being explicit with my post l don't liked stray four legged shit machine dogs but l not want have to kill them in this way.

l was on a major road on my Versys coming out of my village and usually go faster and keep clear of car & trunks so probably 120 kph or more shut off when the dog appeared and traffic was coming from the opposite direction.

Not sure if I could have done anything about it either but l am not curious l am not gonna kill myself to save some proxy dog that an owner takes no care of and lets out on a OO licence to possibly injure or kill a road users, maybe dog lovers here agree but with some l doubt it..

Riding my F650 GS. Heavier but lower than your Versys. Less momentum at 20 than 100+ for sure, maybe I was riding too slowly? 

I have 8 moderately large dogs, but that does not mean taking risk on their part. Any dog in the street is a hazard until in the mirror, and owners that let them roam are criminally liable in my book... Mine are locked away on my property and unfortunately lack proper exercise because walking 8 is a logistical nightmare. Don't need to lock the house though :)

19 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well l don't know what you were riding l was being explicit with my post l don't liked stray four legged shit machine dogs but l not want have to kill them in this way.

l was on a major road on my Versys coming out of my village and usually go faster and keep clear of car & trunks so probably 120 kph or more shut off when the dog appeared and traffic was coming from the opposite direction.

Not sure if I could have done anything about it either but l am not curious l am not gonna kill myself to save some proxy dog that an owner takes no care of and lets out on a OO licence to possibly injure or kill a road users, maybe dog lovers here agree but with some l doubt it..

When the do-gooders whine about the claimed 20,000 dogs per year are imported to VN / China for food .  Always make me wonder how many un-cared for , dangerous , on the loose dogs there are in Thailand . The numbers seem to be rising. Never tried goulash. Maybe this dish needs some promotion !.  Glad OP had a helmet , its what theyre for.

14 hours ago, AllanB said:

Yes, dogs are a pain, black dogs who sleep in the road are a particular favourite of mine. I now ride a dirt bike especially at night, would I make it over the top of a dog, who knows?

You should be able to ride over the top of a dog with the 21" wheel of your Lifan no pompom.  

Give it some throttle to lift the wheel some if you can.

This happens all too often, seen it many times. Driving in Pattaya 2 weeks ago one pulled out on me in the car, I slammed my brakes on and it ran into the other lane and underneath a pickup trucks wheels. Not a great start to my day, but worse for the dog. 

I love dogs, but all these strays causing accidents, biting people, howling all night etc. Needs to be sorted out.

Glad the OP wasn't badly hurt, but could have been much worse if he was being tailgated by a car/truck.

12 hours ago, DualSportBiker said:

Any dog in the street is a hazard until in the mirror, and owners that let them roam are criminally liable in my book... 

I do believe the owners are responsible, that is if they have an owner. I hit a dog few years back in a pack of dogs that ran out of a main entrance to a mubaan ...unluckily colliding with the biggest dog wearing a collar. After picking myself up I could see the dog was in pain but managed to scamper away ...some locals helped me too and I asked who the owner was ....blank looks. I'm pretty sure they knew as was not a big village (some 40 houses) but no one really wants to tell you as the consequence is their neighbour would lose money and a bit of face too IMO.

10 yeaes ago, the wife riding a dream was bitten by a dog on our mubaan right outside the owners house .... result all her medical bills paid for shots etc. and some 2000 baht.

So if you can find an owner they are responsible IMO.

1 hour ago, KhruGin said:

I do believe the owners are responsible, that is if they have an owner. I hit a dog few years back in a pack of dogs that ran out of a main entrance to a mubaan ...unluckily colliding with the biggest dog wearing a collar. After picking myself up I could see the dog was in pain but managed to scamper away ...some locals helped me too and I asked who the owner was ....blank looks. I'm pretty sure they knew as was not a big village (some 40 houses) but no one really wants to tell you as the consequence is their neighbour would lose money and a bit of face too IMO.

10 yeaes ago, the wife riding a dream was bitten by a dog on our mubaan right outside the owners house .... result all her medical bills paid for shots etc. and some 2000 baht.

So if you can find an owner they are responsible IMO.

Absolutely not. There is one farang on my 120 house estate who takes his dog out on a lead. The rest roam the streets, crapping where they will, biting girls, with some locked in 24/7 and left howling half the night.

We have small restaurant here where her two dogs sleep on the tables, needless to say I never go there. One of these little shits bit a small girl, made a real mess of her and nothing was done. Thais think dogs should do their own thing and on top of these pets, there are the strays that wonder and sleep anyway, including in the middle of the road. 

I do feel safer on my cheapo dirt bike, but have been wearing leather shoes for many years on any bike, no problem. Now after kicking that dog, I get everyone I know to wear shoes, plus I hate the idea of my bare feet hitting the road at speed. I am not saying I will never get hurt and should get better gloves, just lower the odds.

This is their country so you have to live with the situation, or "ga bahn".

5 hours ago, AllanB said:

1)Absolutely not. ...

2)We have small restaurant here where her two dogs sleep on the tables, needless to say I never go there. One of these little shits bit a small girl, made a real mess of her and nothing was done. .....

3)This is their country so you have to live with the situation, or "ga bahn".

(Numbers inserted to reply)

1) Umm, that's a 100% condition ....My wife's story is not a work of fiction, probably still got the medical records in the wife's paperwork in office @1800 baht. To clarify further: Yes it was my village and we did not know the owners of the dog beforehand ...I went round with my wife while her leg was still bleeding and they were eventually apologetic and offered her some money plus all the medical bills were paid once we showed them reciepts over the course of about 2 weeks (have to go to the hospital over 3 intervals for shots from memory). So 100% nope ... as to how the law stands on this I am not sure, but thenare you a lawyer or do you have a proper written down in law legal answer? I assume you do not.

2) That's a shame but I hope the child's parents did try to claim against the owner ...or did they just say mai bpen rai thiii muang thai?

3) Oh noooo, better pack my bags then lol.

Did find this just now ....

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-lifestyle/Law-Order-dogs-attack-ownership-laws/62907

Edited by KhruGin
A link worth a read.