Video: Cop still in hospital one month after being run over in middle of Bangkok intersection

webfact

Video: Cop still in hospital one month after being run over in middle of Bangkok intersection

a5.jpg

Image: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- Onliners have been sharing a video of a traffic cop who was run down in Bangkok at the Sukhothai intersection in Dusit district.

The cop in question - Natthakit Pankae - was new to the force, reported Thairath

He suffered a knee injury and a ruptured tendon and is still having treatment in hospital more than one month after the accident on August 19th.

CCTV footage that has now been shared nearly half a million times shows two cops dealing with a collision between a car and a taxi at the intersection. 

As they spray paint the road and take pictures for evidential purposes Natthakit is run over by another car.

The driver of the car that ran down the cop was charged with negligent and dangerous driving.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-28

Watching the video just shows how selfish Thai drivers can be.

No consideration shown for other road users.

Also the women in the black car government officials, look at their body language.

Come on mr policeman fix this, we are government, he just a taxi driver.

I watched that 3 times, it's not even the incident with the police man - it is a fine demonstration of what a lawless senseless undisciplined driving ethos exists here

I am willing to bet money that the driver of the car that knocked the cop over had a phone in her hand................100%

and they still won't get it, you must come down hard on these people that insist on using a mobile while driving..............insist on driving when drunk...........insist on being idiots

I wonder how many lives would be saved in Thailand if all mobile phones were disabled when inside a car except for voice calls which can be done over BT without touching the phone

everywhere you look these days people have their faces buried in their phones..................the WHO have declared it as a disease.........I think it is really scary how people have become so addicted - they just can't help themselves even when driving a car

5 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Why did that car stop at the junction anyway? 

Despite the article saying there was a collision, neither driver, nor either cop, appeared to inspect any damage on either car.

What appears to happen, is the self-important government official was upset at some perceived slight by the lowly taxi driver, so decided to pul in front of him so she could put him in his place. Lucky for her, the cops were there waiting for a function to perform.

First rule of dealing with road collisions, protect the scene. That means ensuring that no more harm or incidents occur after the initial collision, even before tending to casualties.

So cones and traffic stopping/direction should have been used. Basic stuff considered unnecessary in Thailand and thus the consequences.

1 hour ago, jamesbrock said:

Despite the article saying there was a collision, neither driver, nor either cop, appeared to inspect any damage on either car.

What appears to happen, is the self-important government official was upset at some perceived slight by the lowly taxi driver, so decided to pul in front of him so she could put him in his place. Lucky for her, the cops were there waiting for a function to perform.

Once i was in Central and there were 2 official women like these. I wanted to buy something, had cash in my hand but those 2 needed ALL the staff (around 10 of them) to help them packing their few purchases. I got tired of waiting and told them so, take my cash or i go now. They took my cash (2000 baht) but still didn't use it to pay. After 5-10 minutes i was about to grab my cash back and leave but suddenly they helped me. The women were very arrogant, i had never seen such behaviour before. 

16 minutes ago, poostick said:

And they let the muppet who knocks him over just drive off? I'll let myself answer that...no...i should learn to read

At about 2:10 the taxi driver appeared to tell her to move her car out of the way, which she does after the cop points to where she should park. She walks back to check on the cop she hit at 2:40.

always amazes me. the first thing to do is to make the road  safe and remove the vehicles and people from harms way.................but  not  in Thailand.....leave em in the  middle  of the road whilst discussing it

2 hours ago, jamesbrock said:

There is a collision right at the start of the video where the taxi sidescrapes the black car. And the cops and drivers, according the video anyhow, closely inspected both cars carefully over and over again, and took numerous pictures. 

The white cars driver was possibly talking on the phone and also the police was right in the blind spot of where the support frame is between the front windshield and the side window, of course that is in no circumstance an excuse, but securing the site better would surely have reduced the risk.

31 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

There is a collision right at the start of the video where the taxi sidescrapes the black car. And the cops and drivers, according the video anyhow, closely inspected both cars carefully over and over again, and took numerous pictures. 

The white cars driver was possibly talking on the phone and also the police was right in the blind spot of where the support frame is between the front windshield and the side window, of course that is in no circumstance an excuse, but securing the site better would surely have reduced the risk.

I initially thought there may have been contact then, too, but I don't believe there was. I also believe the black car cut off the taxi.

At which point in the video did anyone closely inspect either car? Even when the three women are standing next to the drivers side rear panel, not one of them even looked at it, let alone closely inspected it.

I agree with you, however, that the A pillar might have hidden the cop for a moment, but that is, as you say, no excuse.

1 hour ago, AlQaholic said:

Even if there was a collision, it was the fault of the black car and not the taxi as she cut off his path. So if it was to be processed the government official should be found at fault and not the taxi.

4 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

Should be watched with Benny Hill style music playing in the background.

CelticBhoy does it sound like a joke to you. please let us give the victim due respect and wish him speedy recovery. the driver of the that hit him must be blind to have hit the policeman in line of his duty.

the policemen were well within their line of duty and doing a good job as seen in the video until the driver of the white car hit the policeman in broad daylight. hope he was not on the phone. maybe he had forgotten his brain at home to achieve a direct hit.

1 hour ago, AlQaholic said:

AlQaholic i too thought that the police should secure the site but that would probably take a long time and in this instance their objective was to get the facts of the case and get the traffic moving.

2 hours ago, kannot said:

always amazes me. the first thing to do is to make the road  safe and remove the vehicles and people from harms way.................but  not  in Thailand.....leave em in the  middle  of the road whilst discussing it

agreed the policemen put themselves too much at risk.

3 hours ago, jamesbrock said:

I initially thought there may have been contact then, too, but I don't believe there was. I also believe the black car cut off the taxi.

At which point in the video did anyone closely inspect either car? Even when the three women are standing next to the drivers side rear panel, not one of them even looked at it, let alone closely inspected it.

I agree with you, however, that the A pillar might have hidden the cop for a moment, but that is, as you say, no excuse.

I assumed, because everyone was milling around the car constantly for a long time and taking pictures here and there, that was a part of a process of inspection, but looking at the video again nobody actually bends down and peruses anything up close, so admittedly I may be wrong. 

You see time and time again taxi cars pulling out from the curb without even looking back and without signaling, I thought this was what happened. A car that is by the curb is not in the traffic, so have to give way and wait for cars to pass.

39 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

I assumed, because everyone was milling around the car constantly for a long time and taking pictures here and there, that was a part of a process of inspection, but looking at the video again nobody actually bends down and peruses anything up close, so admittedly I may be wrong. 

You see time and time again taxi cars pulling out from the curb without even looking back and without signaling, I thought this was what happened. A car that is by the curb is not in the traffic, so have to give way and wait for cars to pass.

Yes, but the taxi was not at the curb, it is in the inside, presumably right turn, lane. There is an oncoming lane on its right, so it couldn't have been pulling from that curb.

The black car swings around it and pulls up in front of it in typical road rage style.

22 hours ago, fruitman said:

Once i was in Central and there were 2 official women like these. I wanted to buy something, had cash in my hand but those 2 needed ALL the staff (around 10 of them) to help them packing their few purchases. I got tired of waiting and told them so, take my cash or i go now. They took my cash (2000 baht) but still didn't use it to pay. After 5-10 minutes i was about to grab my cash back and leave but suddenly they helped me. The women were very arrogant, i had never seen such behaviour before. 

Medieval society?