Shipping a parts car, US to Thailand

GoDucks

Not sure if this is the right section of the forum but I own a 1957 Mercedes benz 190 here in Thailand and I just bought an identical car in the US and want to ship it here to use for parts.

Customs will not be a big issue, but I am looking for low cost port to port shipping option (don't really need the local pick up and delivery from their end).

Prefer Seattle or Portland departure.

Anyone have any ideas?

4 minutes ago, GoDucks said:

This will probably be an exception to the rules as it will be part of a college car restoration project.

Perhaps the administrator of the college should be the one providing the answers.

Good luck and I hope you have patience for the impending bureaucratic nonsense that's about to hit.

The hassle of importing a used vehicle into this country weaned me off driving, I'm a happier person now.

Port to port - 20' container probably $1600-$1900....

Evergreen shipping is one company that can do it.....

If your going to end up with the reconditioned vehicle (using the student's labor) they probably won't allow the project.....

Good move if allowed - some people get free work on their cars that way in the US at local high schools & junior colleges....

• 6 months later...

there are 2 ways to ship ,   roll on / roll off where they drive it on the ship  , this is how they transport all the new cars , and they except private cars (  not sure how long to Thailand )

and then in a shipping container ,

for most other countries you would also fill the container with other goods to cut down the cost , but Thai customs may have other ideas, 

since its for a school think about buying some used engine rebuilding machines, crank grinders , cam grinders , boring machines etc

they are pretty cheap.

On 9/28/2016 at 0:31 PM, GoDucks said:

This will probably be an exception to the rules as it will be part of a college car restoration project.

If customs won't waive the import duty on buses for the MTA, what makes you think they are going to waive the import duty because it is for a school ?

I would get something in writing before you even consider this idea 

"...I am looking for low cost port to port shipping option (don't really need the local pick up and delivery from their end).
Prefer Seattle or Portland departure.

Anyone have any ideas?"

"I just need to find a way to ship it."

Contacting shipping agents in Seattle or Portland may be an idea. 

All you will get here is the don't-even-think-about-it brigade overflowing with answers to questions you didn't ask and probably already have covered.  Good luck.

Edited by gdgbb

11 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

I mean the import charges, not shipping. I shipped my HD Vancouver to Sydney. $550 bucks.

Ah!! That figure depends on so many variables probably including the time of day the weather and whatever else you want to throw in, for an individual. But, as the OP says the college will be looking after that side of things.

2 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

He thinks that he has that covered

I'll believe it when he provides a photo of it sitting in the school yard

As I said in my first post here, "All you will get here is the don't-even-think-about-it brigade overflowing with answers to questions you didn't ask and probably already have covered.  Good luck."

QED.