Evil grandmother sold granddaughter, 15, into sex - 72 year old man charged with rape

webfact

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, hansnl said:

As bad as it all is, might there also be a thing called poverty besides "lust for money"?

Yes poverty does make people steal etc but what of those who don't need money yet still embezzle, steal etc.?

Some steal because it's the only way they see of surviving or getting by but many others steal because what they already have is never enough. Poverty is hardly an excuse for them.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

6 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Yes poverty does make people steal etc but what of those who don't need money yet still embezzle, steal etc.?

Some steal because it's the only way they see of surviving or getting by but many others steal because what they already have is never enough. Poverty is hardly an excuse for them.

Dead on Trump description.

Historically 70 years and more in Thailand some of the poorest people of a village would sell their children to the head man or wealthiest families in the communities to be servants.

The system was that the children had to work off the debt for the money paid to their parents that could take several years, but in actually the children rarely managed to pay back the money owed.

Once in the clutches of these village hierarchy the children were treated no better than dogs and lived under a brutal regime. They selected one of the toughest children to oversee the others, they were made to sleep in sheds, floors or even outdoors, on call 24/7 and were staved, beaten and raped, many would die while in the charge of these families.

The case in the OP could be a practice that is still ingrained into the minds of some Thai people stemming back from the past.

9 hours ago, SHARX said:

There is no excuse for this. No matter were you live on this planet.

I'm just gobsmacked that nobody noticed.

Plenty of people will 'have noticed' but will turn a blind eye, as at some stage it will have happened, or may still be happening in their own families or other families near by.  For the most part Thai's are brought up to remain silent when it comes to bad goings on.  This is changing slowly but it will be several more generations before these old and despicable ways of treating young, innocent Human Beings is eradicated.

22 hours ago, Emster23 said:

I wonder how one can respond to this without being seen as "Thai bashing"?

The best way may be to keep your eyes open for anything like this going on in your village. Best to report to one of the anti-trafficing agencies in BKK., via a Thai family/friend.

www.thesoldproject.com , wilki lists several. lists several.

There are recent developments, giving hope - eg the new

Thailand Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force (TICAC) which co operates with US agencies.

But reality is -  last month, when I read of the puzzling case of Fred Blandford,
, found guilty of sex abuse and force able detention of minors, and yet he is free. 

On 9/29/2016 at 1:09 AM, NongKhaiKid said:

Absolute poverty may lead a person to steal, just to survive, but poverty does not "make" people steal. it is a choice.  

I have lived in poverty.  As a child with my siblings, while living with my grandparents and was even more poverty stricken as and adult when I was by myself.  I have been almost to the point of being in absolute poverty as an adult and I did not steal!

My family never stole, never took what was not ours, because of poverty.   I knew those that did, even though they had more than my family. 

But, unless you have absolutely nothing that you need to survive and you steal food, or material things to sell for money to purchase food, or trade for food, then theft is a choice.   Desire for what you do not have, that which you do not need to survive, may lead you to poor choices, but it is just that, a choice!

So, I only disagree a little with what you have written. 

On 9/27/2016 at 10:18 PM, ScotBkk said:

Something deep rooted in the sub-conscious at work here to even contemplate such treachery.

The more I read about kids abuse in Thailand, makes me think how much more of this is going on !!!

Subconscious?  Oh, it's very much in the conscious.  

This is still a country where getting called out by the international community over slave labor on fishing boats does not met with indignation over the act but rather that other countries shouldn't tell Thailand what to do pretty much says all there needs to be said about Thai culture.  

I'm not saying that every Thai supports slave labor or that they would sell their grandchildren into prostitution but the seeds are there.  Whereas I think nearly every farang is sickened by what has happened, I know many Thais would say, "Well, maybe she needed the money."     

BTW, I do think it's cultural thing because culture can change.  When I lived in Thailand and would mention stories like this to Thai friends 60% would try to find an excuse why it was somehow acceptable.  I have quite a few Thai friends in the US who grew up in Thailand but have lived in the US for 5+ years, and 0% would even think of arguing that there might be a valid reason for the grandmother to do this.