Restaurant

Tywais

My wife just told me about a restaurant she thinks is the best thing since sliced bread. Kept going on about it. The name is Pah Rah Dta Wahn Rawn and is located by going up the mountain on Sutep Road (behind the university) about 5-6 kilometers. Her words "suai tee sood". She said it has large floral area, live music (western, that is english) with a variety of instruments including violins. Both Thai, European and Western food. She also indicated that most there are hi-so or at least well dressed. Apparantely fairly new and popular.

Wondering if anyone knows about this place or has gone to it and what they thought. Also she mentioned not a good idea to be drunk and try to drive back down the mountain (not a good idea anyway). :o

Hi

Does she mean Palaad Tawanron? It sounds the same.... western music and great food. I have been there many times and always had a great meal. The views over Chiang Mai from the eating area (and toilets) are fantastic and the restaurant is situated next to a floodlight waterfall...

Check out their website:

www.palaadtawanron.com

I suggest you reserve a table if you are going because it gets VERY busy especially on a Friday and Saturday night.... I am told it is very popular with visitors from Bangkok?

The road up to the restaurant is bad.... but the restaurant light the way with candles!

YL

Hi

Does she mean Palaad Tawanron? It sounds the same.... western music and great food. I have been there many times and always had a great meal. The views over Chiang Mai from the eating area (and toilets) are fantastic and the restaurant is situated next to a floodlight waterfall...

Check out their website:

www.palaadtawanron.com

I suggest you reserve a table if you are going because it gets VERY busy especially on a Friday and Saturday night.... I am told it is very popular with visitors from Bangkok?

The road up to the restaurant is bad.... but the restaurant light the way with candles!

YL

That's fantastic, definitely the place she was trying to explain including the view from the toilets. She also mentioned reservations would probably be a good idea. Thanks a lot for that information, will have to give it a try soon.

Great place for ambience - a fake waterfall gives nice 'aurals', the laidback string band that waltzes from table to table, taking requests, the views of city, lakes and hills, the dunnies are a great place for a smoke. Visitors love it.

Food can be excellent to good. Highly priced (for cm), but worth it. Took an international cook there once, he was blown away. Good Pork knuckle, ostrich meat and Thai standards with a Chinese kick. Pick from the recommended menu and you wont go wrong.

Its been there well over a year now, and sorry to say, the food isn't as good as it once was. They seem to change cooks regularly. Owned by the zoo, I think. For outside sitting, would definitely have to book at this time of year.

Oh, good cocktail list too.

Here's a bit of a map on where & how to get there.

113375499-S.jpg

Map extract is from the new Mae Sa Valley Samoeng loop guide map just published a couple of weeks ago.

If you want to see an accurate Cnx environs & Mae Sa Valley map, then check out this new map.

113375499-S.jpg

Map extract is from the new Mae Sa Valley Samoeng loop guide map just published a couple of weeks ago.

If you want to see an accurate Cnx environs & Mae Sa Valley map, then check out this new map.

Nice. Looks like a complex route. May have to take a day trip (work at CMU so it's just at my backdoor) just to be sure how to find it before negotiating a night one. Thanks.

113375499-S.jpg

Nice. Looks like a complex route. May have to take a day trip (work at CMU so it's just at my backdoor) just to be sure how to find it before negotiating a night one. Thanks.

galare is quite nice as well. a lot cheaper and nice view by the lake. ideal for some evening beer to start off!.

Ty, its actually easy to find. Go up Suthep rd. At the foot turn right, then the first left going up. Follow the windy rd, taking the first right going through a large gate (guarded) - there are reflective blue signs all the way up.

Actually, these directions are crap. There's no 7-11 markers, only 3 dogs sleeping. But its well signed. Then again, drive up in the arvo and book ya table.

BTW, I was at Gallare by chance last night. Nice environs. But thought the food very ordinary, especially the northern food - 120b for a small dish of 'nam prik noom' and the 'cab moo' was the same stringy shit you can find in bkk - rather pointess when entertaining bkk guests. No service either, we poured our own beers all night. Didn't tip (menue said extra 10% service for sitting lakeside).