No fear of flooding crisis, topThai official says

webfact

INUNDATION

No fear of flooding crisis, top official says

Chularat Saengpassa
The Nation

30296462-01_big.JPG

Water from the Chulalongkorn water gate is pumped out to Rangsit Canal, from where it is drained out into the sea via Chao Phraya River to prepare for the increase in discharge from Chao Phraya Dam.

Irrigation chief sees no threat of 2011 Bangkok flood calamity repeating itself

BANGKOK: -- THERE IS no risk of Bangkok, other central provinces and their industrial estates suffering flooding as severe as that which caused chaos in the city in 2011, according to the Royal Irrigation Department. 

"Don't worry. Major dams are not even half full now," the department's director-general Suthep Noipairoj said yesterday. 

He pointed out that although the Kwai Noi and Pasak Jolasid dams were releasing water, the big Bhumibol and Sirikit dams could take in more water. "Bhumibol Dam is only 44 per cent full," he said.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/No-fear-of-flooding-crisis-top-official-says-30296462.html

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-09-29

This is the same guy, who in 2011, defended the slowing down of water discharges in April, which led to the dams filling up later in the year.

Now he's done the same so farmers can harvest their rice...

Edited by jamesbrock

The climate indicators support the Royal Irrigation Department DG's assertions that there will be no repeat of the 2011 Bangkok flood calamity!

However, this will come as little comfort to those people who will be adversely impacted by the order of Interior Ministry Permanent Secretary - "In the event that some areas must be used to retain excess water to prevent flooding in some important zones, officials must communicate with the affected people to create mutual understanding and specify clearly what remedial actions they will get".

One can only wonder what those important zones might be, and whether the people in them will have the same mutual understanding of the plight of those affected by this order.

flood.jpg

Based on the info supplied by the government and the 1.7 meters of water that I had in my townhouse in Bang Bua Thong, I am instructing my son, who lives there, to start moving everything to the second floor and go buy a rubber dinghy large enough for him and the two big dogs!

Meanwhile in the real world- while Khun Suthep Noipairoj enjoyed the imaginary sound of a friendly “Yes Sir, you are right” from 11.000 people:

In and around Ayutthaya 11,000 people in over 200 villages have already been affected by the flooding. For the current week, there are warnings  Bangkok will be affected by heavy rains.

"The main flood wall in Ayutthaya province is in poor condition and could collapse if the tidal wave from the Chao Phraya River reaches the area," said a senior official of the Office of irrigation technologies on Tuesday.

These were the news. Next in our program we broadcast CCR's hit "Have you ever seen the rain" requested by staff of the water irrigation department.

3 hours ago, wayned said:

Based on the info supplied by the government and the 1.7 meters of water that I had in my townhouse in Bang Bua Thong, I am instructing my son, who lives there, to start moving everything to the second floor and go buy a rubber dinghy large enough for him and the two big dogs!

Im in Bang Bua Thong too.. depending where he lives there is not much danger. You have 1.7 meters.. for me it only rose to 20-30 cm in the house. So I guess your in a worse area. However there are still no floods here and I doubt there will be. (i did check if i still had the wading suit i bought after the 2011 flooding)

8 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

Meanwhile in the real world- while Khun Suthep Noipairoj enjoyed the imaginary sound of a friendly “Yes Sir, you are right” from 11.000 people:

In and around Ayutthaya 11,000 people in over 200 villages have already been affected by the flooding. For the current week, there are warnings  Bangkok will be affected by heavy rains.

"The main flood wall in Ayutthaya province is in poor condition and could collapse if the tidal wave from the Chao Phraya River reaches the area," said a senior official of the Office of irrigation technologies on Tuesday.

These were the news. Next in our program we broadcast CCR's hit "Have you ever seen the rain" requested by staff of the water irrigation department.

They should really punish those people responsible for that Floodwal in Ayuttaya. i mean where did the budget go.. why has it not been kept in good condition. I have seen the pics its a real shame. 

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

They should really punish those people responsible for that Floodwal in Ayuttaya. i mean where did the budget go.. why has it not been kept in good condition. I have seen the pics its a real shame. 

In regard of the dimension of the country's biggest wash away tidal wave- corruption that is- one have to wonder there are banknotes in circulation without signs of moisture.

45 minutes ago, robblok said:

Im in Bang Bua Thong too.. depending where he lives there is not much danger. You have 1.7 meters.. for me it only rose to 20-30 cm in the house. So I guess your in a worse area. However there are still no floods here and I doubt there will be. (i did check if i still had the wading suit i bought after the 2011 flooding)

Kanmanee Villa, off the Banguray Sai Noi Road.  It doesn't matter whether it's 1.7 meters or only 30 cm, that amount of water will do in all of you furniture and appliances. 

I take it there is some scientific way of getting the judgments right about current flows + current storage + upcoming rains?

I seem to recall that Brisbane had terrible floods 3 or 4 years ago because the engineers paid to manage the upriver dams and their releases made the wrong judgment call, as between holding the water to prevent floods downstream today vs release the water now to prevent worse floods tomorrow.  Which rather suggests that you're hung if you do (in the Thai context: floods now & drought later) and hung if you don't (worse floods tomorrow).

46 minutes ago, wayned said:

Kanmanee Villa, off the Banguray Sai Noi Road.  It doesn't matter whether it's 1.7 meters or only 30 cm, that amount of water will do in all of you furniture and appliances. 

You are right ofcourse that 1.7 or 30 cm does not matter much for furniture and appliances. But it did help us stay in our home (had we had good info we would have left). The electricity on the first floor switched off and turned on on the second floor. So we stayed.. 2 months.. every morning checking if the water had gone higher or not. 

3 minutes ago, Freed1948 said:

In Bangkuai it is looking a bit iffy.

There is an incompleted flood barrier along the river.

Wonder if they will finish it before the water arrives.

That is close by.. but I doubt they finish it before the water comes.