Locked Up Abroad! Help Repay Bribes – Samui resident asks for help!

webfact

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

A confession of gullibility, unseasoned youth and a desire to trust everyone. Then someone took her to the Coliseum and fed her to the lions.  

Gullible are the 48 who had coughed to the tune of $3k by the time I looked earlier.

Edited by evadgib

5 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Brings to mind the thing about the other girl here.She was a middle class twit who believed everything that people told her No life experience,no suspicion ability,and it was her boyfriend who got her ten years or so in the Bangkok Hilton.Even after release she ended up in Durham max because of a letter from another stupid friend,that she received whilst locked up here.

She wrote a book about it,'Forget you have a daughter'But there was some conjecture as to things she wrote,not being actual.

She was as guilty as sin and readily admitted it after her "a big boy did it and ran away" fell flat. She was also stupid enough to land in Los some 9 years later hoping no one would notice. Media at the time reported she was instantly deported.

Edited by evadgib

11 hours ago, Bob9 said:

Seems it may not be a scam - it may be a real idiotic stupid person.

But I cant believe people have paid money on the website (or pledged to do so). Even if it is true, paying the idiot money will not solve the problem (stupidity).  The last thing you should give an alcoholic is a drink. 

Harsh but absolutely true, except:

"The last thing you should give an alcoholic is a drink."

Muzmurray.

Oh! forgive me for the mistake about Thai nick's.I thought that Bang Kwang was a mixed prison.Maybe it was Larrd yaow,i cant actually remember.It was a long time ago that i read the book.have you read it by the way?Have you read it by the way.maybe you should and then you can search through it trying to find some other discrepancies to pick me up on.

Good luck with that.

36 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Muzmurray.

Oh! forgive me for the mistake about Thai nick's.I thought that Bang Kwang was a mixed prison.Maybe it was Larrd yaow,i cant actually remember.It was a long time ago that i read the book.have you read it by the way?Have you read it by the way.maybe you should and then you can search through it trying to find some other discrepancies to pick me up on.

Good luck with that.

Dave, if you use the quote function he will then know you responded.

Seems like he wanted his dream to be real, so it was - in his mind...

Time somebody checks up on Koh Phangan, there are literally hundreds of new foreign owned bars, restaurants, coffee shops and guesthouses opened in the past year or two. Airbnb is sucking the life out of the hotel market, with most operated by foreigners.

Some 'businesses' have all Burmese staff - NO Thai persons ever present...

Some seem to like westerners as occasional waiters, even the best coffee shop in KP often has farang waiting staff - directly opposite a police post - often have big brass police/army/wannabees served by farang 'girly' - they really like that... Run that by me again, how to get a WP to wait on tables?

Policing - whether it is regular, plainclothes or immigration police is hard to tell, but someone is prowling the hills looking for illegally working farang - not to arrest but to shake down for 10k a time.

I thought this was how Koh Tao operated, but it seems the same disease named corruption enjoys freedom to bloom in the new 'corruption-free' Thailand.

On 9/28/2016 at 7:26 PM, SICA said:

Who owns the business? Where's your Thai 'business partner' in all of this? I hate the fact that i'm being skeptical but this is pretty incredulous. A lawyer for 2 and 1/2 years who turns out not to be a lawyer! How did you get an appropriate visa, work permit, 90 day reports etc....

So many questions, sorry!

The whole thing gets the big BS factor in my opinion.  Especially the part where she says she lost the lawyers card.  OK.  So you never visited the lawyer in person?  Where is the lawyer?  The person somehow exchanged documents.  And as you say 2.5 years there.  A resident? A foreigner?  What country?  What type of visa, work permit.  Since it was a business, where and who is your Thai partner?  Had a falling out and you then got ratted out? 

On 9/29/2016 at 9:50 AM, Xircal said:

It's a scam. She has a number of businesses scattered around the world under the name "Pangea collection" according to her LinkedIn profile.

Here's the result of Google search I did to find her business on Samui. You can see from the reviews following the result that it's the same person.

You say "she".  the go fund account shows a man in the picture unless it is a circus and the bearded lady.  But the whole thing sounds scammy for many other reasons, including the incomplete story details.

On 9/29/2016 at 9:26 AM, SICA said:

Who owns the business? Where's your Thai 'business partner' in all of this? I hate the fact that i'm being skeptical but this is pretty incredulous. A lawyer for 2 and 1/2 years who turns out not to be a lawyer! How did you get an appropriate visa, work permit, 90 day reports etc....

So many questions, sorry!

And one easy answer.

Location, location, location!!!

Loren I feel so bad for you and think I fell in love with you reading that story. I will bring 1 million in US currency to Thailand with me to help you. If I have problem getting through customs I might need to get you to transfer money to a Thai account which I will give you back once I am through customs. 

I am a Nigerian Prince with a interest in Backpacking and National lotteries.

13 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

You say "she".  the go fund account shows a man in the picture unless it is a circus and the bearded lady.  But the whole thing sounds scammy for many other reasons, including the incomplete story details.

Aha..I just looked up the name "Loren" and it appears that you're correct. The female version of the name is spelt differently as "Lauren".

I didn't see a photo the first time I looked though so just assumed it was a woman. Apologies.

8 minutes ago, Xircal said:

Aha..I just looked up the name "Loren" and it appears that you're correct. The female version of the name is spelt differently as "Lauren".

I didn't see a photo the first time I looked though so just assumed it was a woman. Apologies.

In fairness to everyone making the assumption that Loren is a 'she'... the opening post (article) points us directly to this conclusion using - Herself, She & Her... 

On September 29, 2016 at 5:11 AM, webfact said:

Locked Up Abroad! Help Repay Bribes – Samui resident asks for help!

SAMUI: -- A resident of Koh Samui recently found herself locked up in jail after papers she thought were legal and correct and allowed her to run a backpacker resort were correct. However they were not. Loren has shared her story on a Go Fund Me page – here is what it says.

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

In fairness to everyone making the assumption that Loren is a 'she'... the opening post (article) points us directly to this conclusion using - Herself, She & Her... 

I posted a photo of him in this thread on Thursday.  Of course you'd have to read the thread to have seen it.

loren.jpg

Sounds like a spin miester.... not checking the credentials of the lawyer is one clue that planning was suspect...what else.... anyway, hope it works out..

Edited by Rhys

One day Loren will be able to look back on this unfortunate affair and get a good chuckle...and its definitely worth a few free drinks to hear him relate it.

Much of it seems entirely plausable.

The insight on the legal system is enough to keep me from wanting to ever retuen to Thailand...signing documents that you can't even understand ?

On 29.9.2016 at 3:50 AM, Remus1830 said:

In Thailand there is no recourse for bad or incorrect advice even from a real lawyer. Of course you can try to sue for wrongful advice good luck with that. 

You can complain to the "Lawyer's Council" but it is costly (you have to bring your own translator and pay your travel expenses) and sometimes it takes a real long time. I complained two times. In one case the lawyer compensate me for his mistake (about 30% of the damage he created). That was quite quick(around 6 month). The other had his licence suspended for a year, but it took me more than 5 years to achieve that. 

On 30/09/2016 at 11:27 AM, ParadiseLost said:

Time somebody checks up on Koh Phangan, there are literally hundreds of new foreign owned bars, restaurants, coffee shops and guesthouses opened in the past year or two. Airbnb is sucking the life out of the hotel market, with most operated by foreigners.

100s, seriously?

I really don't recall that many in the last year or so. Certainly not guesthouses. I don't doubt there are people there without papers, etc though but never really felt it's overrun with farang places or even that noticeable, not like Samui, for instance.

I think with the Burmese staff though, that's the same for the Thai owned hotels and guesthouses as well, it's just cheap staff, right, everyone likes a bit of that!

Whoever this person is, male of female, he or she is dishonest and a liar. 

Dishonest because he paid bribes to the police to get himself out of an illegal position and a liar because if he had really been to jail he would know that the prisoners do not wear prison uniforms, they wear their own clothes unless they are appearing in court or otherwise going outside the jail.

Prisoners do not wear shackles either unless they are in solitary due to misbehaviour in the prison or, as with uniforms, they are going outside of the prison.

Edited by gdgbb