Education Ministry To Scrap One Laptop Per Child Project

george

Education Ministry to scrap one laptop per child project

BANGKOK: -- The Education Ministry Monday vowed to scrap three populist policies floated by the previous administration.

"We will not focus too much on technology and materials. We will focus on substance," Education Minister Wijit Srisaarn said Monday.

When Thaksin Shinawatra was at the helm, his government promised to procure 250,000 computers along with Internet broadband access to state schools, and also to give a low-cost laptop for every primary student.

"We don't request budget to finance such ideas," Wijit said.

-- The Nation 2006-11-27

The "No child left behind in the somtam line without a laptop to compute the price" program was silly, unfunded, unplanned, and just a populist grab for votes. I think at first it was going to be a mass purchase of assembled laptops, and then somebody realized that would take more than 28 baht. Then they were going to let the brilliant vo-tech students assemble them, after dropping out of matayom school. Then, Thaksin was just about ready to tell the United Nations how great he was, and he became unemployed.

It's great that the current administration is publicly ending some of the populist schemes. But with what are they replacing those schemes? More teachers? Scholarships for genius university students to attend teachers' programs for free, with stipends during their first few years? Teaching teachers to teach their students to actually think? But who knows how to start teaching Thais to say more than "Yes, boss," and salute or wai?

• 1 month later...

Oh well, I guess you could still buy one -- as long as you buy another to donate (to some country still involved in the project).

From http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6246989.stm

$100 laptop could sell to public

By Darren Waters

Technology editor, BBC News website, Las Vegas

The backers of the One Laptop Per Child project are looking at the possibility of selling the machine to the public.

One idea would be for customers to have to buy two laptops at once - with the second going to the developing world.

"We will not focus too much on technology and materials. We will focus on substance," Education Minister Wijit Srisaarn said Monday.

When asked what this "substance" was Khun Wijit replied, "We're going to figure that out next week......"

Chownah

:o in the 21st century...not focussing too much on technology and materials.... :D

how more amazing can Thailand become ?

LaoPo

I am glad to see some common sense has surfaced at last.

The whole "cheap laptop computer" scheme is illconceived.

Laptops are difficult to up grade and maintain and would soon be discarded junk in a corner.

I agree that the laptop for every student was a silly notion. They would all have been used for MSN and games.

I, like others, would like to know what "substance" is. What is wrong with technology in 2007?

These are questions that would be demanded of any education minister, anywhere. However, here in Thailand it's all "up to you".

I just hope that the substance that Khun Wijit Srisaarn is dreaming of is not another year of students learning from low quality books. Repeating parrot fashion or copying straight off the board.

• 4 months later...

Update:

NECTEC has yet decided to resume “One Laptop per Child”

The Minister of Science and Technology discloses that the National Electronics and Computer Technology (NECTEC) has yet decided to resume the “One Laptop per Child” project.

Minister of Science and Technology Yongyuth Yutthawong voices support to the “One Laptop per Child” project which is aimed to provide a 100-U.S.-dollar notebook computer for each child. However, Dr.Yongyuth says the project is still under experiment. The notebook computers require open-source software which has not been developed seriously in Thailand.

The “One Laptop per Child” project was initiated by Nicholas Negroponte, a computer scientist of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s Media Lab. The project is now manufacturing four million notebook computers for children in Brazil and India.

Dr Yongyuth dismisses rumors that the Ministry of Information and Communication Technology has halted the project as it was introduced to Thailand by the Thaksin Administration. However, he says the ICT ministry has yet officially decided to have NECTEC implement the project.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 17 May 2007

The notebook computers require open-source software which has not been developed seriously in Thailand.

wow! open-source! you mean.. like... sharing information? being able to improve the code? no, no, no! we want microshite. surely Linux is a condom manufacturer.

I know many really good programmers who started by hacking into their primary school computers.

which has not been developed seriously in Thailand.

:o:D

what does that mean? that the minister had a brain seizure coz it didnt show win xp on startup? Maybe said minister should pop down to Pantip Plaza for a demo.

anyway, the more computers the better. yes I know most internet bars in Thailand are just used for games and chat, but sometimes I actually spot a youngster doing some research!! Good for them!!

rych

Edited by rychrde

nothing better than keeping the poor uninformed and unable to better themselves

no access to information and no access to technology.......another form of censorship to maintain the status quo and the boys in green in power....well done junta, well done

Edited by bingobongo

Children in test schools in Brazil, Thailand, Uruguay and Nigeria have received the first OLPC 100$ laptops. These are some of the first videos of those children using the OLPC on the Internet. Currently they are using Beta-3 laptops, full scale mass production starts in September.

http://olpc.tv/category/children/

though the page has videos that are hosted and streamed from youtube -not sure if you are allowed to view them yet