TV options in USA

dddave

I am currently staying at my sister's home in Boston, US while I recuperate from surgery.  My sister recently cut her cable TV provider (Comcast) and now has nothing.  She tried a physical antennae but nothing watchable.  She watches PBS mostly, along with Judge Judy.

She does have cable internet, also Comcast and I intend to try to upgrade that.

I've been away from the US for sometime now and have no understanding of all the various TV options: Roku, Amazon Firestick, Apple TV, Chromestick, ect. are all just names to me, I haven't a clue to how they work or what content they make available. 

Can somebody link me to a basic overview that will help me set up something useable for her before I return to Thailand.

The simpler, the better.

Ustvnow would be a good option for the basic channels in the US.

If you do a search on that you'll get some help. I'm not American so I don't  use it but I think you can use it through a browser and there's a kodi add on also.

Does she want to watch LIVE TV? Or would she be happy with streamed content?

PBS makes all of their content available in a variety of formats, including Chromecast.

http://www.pbs.org/anywhere/home/

http://variety.com/2015/digital/news/pbs-launches-pbs-video-app-for-android-with-chromecast-support-1201516613/

Roku just announced a new line up of products although I'm not sure if these are available now? These start at $30 for the Roku Express.

So she has broadband internet? WiFi? A TV with an HDMI input? A mobile phone? Tablet? Monthly budget for any additional paid services?

I'd get her a Chromecast ($35) then use the embedded apps, and/or cast from a device.

Sling TV (streaming) starts at $20/month. DirectTV will be launching a streaming service soon.

A lot of sites can only be viewed in the U.S. so you may be in the best position to do research?