must transfer tourist visa extension to new passport before leaving, or not?

Came in on a 60 day tourist visa.  Got a 30 day extension in Chiang Mai.  Received new US passport after extension.  The old pp of course has been hole punched/cancelled but is perfectly readable.  Have embassy letter as well.

Now in Bangkok and Chaengwattana is refusing to transfer extension to new passport.   Told me extension must be transferred where extension was issued (Chiang Mai).  Not sure returning to Chiang Mai and trying to get it done would be feasible at this point.  Extension expires on Oct 6.

Immi said they will not put a new visa in a blank passport.  (yes, a visa - the 5 year 'Elite' one)

Agent stated that I can simply exit and re-enter the country to clear the problem.   My question:  Is this true or not? 

(I do have letters and documentation to head off the 'no border run' issue.  I'm only concerned I will be prevented from leaving out of Suvarnabhumi or Aranya without doing the transfer of extension from old passport to new.  I will have both pp with me of course).

38 minutes ago, john_bkk919 said:

Agent stated that I can simply exit and re-enter the country to clear the problem.   My question:  Is this true or not? 

Your question is not an easy one.

But: what should be different when doing a border run?
If you can a border run (at land border) you could also fly out.

Strange advice.

A bit disturbing that CW refused to do the transfer (lot of work for no money to save a few days :wink:) and gave no other advice.

A valid visa is not void when having a new passport, old plus new pp and done.

But what about an extension? I don't know.

Will they prevent you from leaving?

Sure not.

I even doubt that there would be a fine/penalty.

I did not understand the remark about the "elite" visa???

Edited by KhunBENQ

KB - thanks for your answer.  nevermind that about the visa, i think.  I guess it's not strictly relevant.  It just happens to be the reason I went to CW in the first place.  They were supposed to affix this new visa but refused to, since I had not transferred my tourist visa extension, which they refused to do as well, sending me to Chiang Mai to transfer an extension with only a handful of days left on it.

I specified the visa type I was there to get because it's one of the few instances where CW actually does issue a visa, not an extension. 

I've logged your 'sure you can leave' vote.  Still interested in what others think or if someone has actually done as I intend to do - just leave on a TV extension with the old and new pp in hand w/o transferring anything.

All you need do is present both passports to the immigration officer when departing the country. He/she will take care of the process and 'stamp you out' in the new passport.

If you fly out you can arrange with  'Elite' for your new visa to be obtained on return to the country. 

Seek advice from 'Elite' you have paid for their assistance !:smile:

• Like 1

If I understand your post correctly they will not put a new Privilege Entry Visa in your new passport because the passport doesn't have an entry stamp. I get that but it's ridiculous that they won't do the transfer!

Yes the agent is correct. If you exit with the two passports the border immigration will transfer the stamp and entry information to the new passport and stamp you out. The old passport is then finished with. You can then re-enter, and as suggested above, organise with TE to have the PE Visa inserted on entry at the airport.

That would seem preferable to me rather than a trip to CM immigration for the transfer followed by another trip to CW.

• Like 1

Fith - I mentioned what they said.  I'm seeking other opinions.

16 minutes ago, elviajero said:

If I understand your post correctly they will not put a new Privilege Entry Visa in your new passport because the passport doesn't have an entry stamp. I get that but it's ridiculous that they won't do the transfer!

Yes the agent is correct. If you exit with the two passports the border immigration will transfer the stamp and entry information to the new passport and stamp you out. The old passport is then finished with. You can then re-enter, and as suggested above, organise with TE to have the PE Visa inserted on entry at the airport.

That would seem preferable to me rather than a trip to CM immigration for the transfer followed by another trip to CW.

Thanks.  Your understanding of the situation is correct.

I will try to get it done at Swampy.  But Elite has informed that if I do not give them 3 business days notice they will not do it.  

I did wait a week and a half for today's appointment at CW.

Edited by john_bkk919

A while back I got a new US passport in Bkk.  When I picked it up they gave me a form letter (part in Thai, part in English) to bring to Thai immigration in Soi Suan Pru: this was back before they moved to CW.  I went directly there from the embassy, gave them the letter and both passports, and all was resolved soon enough. 

Are you sure they didn't give you a letter of some sort?

Just to sum-up for those new to this topic: 

The last time this problem arose, it was noted that CW would not transfer stamps unless there was another reason for being there, such as an extension, involved.  Within the last year, a bloke tried to exit at Nong Khai, and was sent back to the Imm-office to do the transfer before he was allowed to leave.  Noting that, I did a stamp-transfer stand-alone at Chonburi before my next exit.  It appeared to involve a lot of work for the IO, I had to fill out some form(s), but there was no complaint (and, yes, I had my embassy letter).

More posts came in with "yes" and "no" experiences at various Imm-Offices at varying dates.  Consensus was, some offices will do the xfer, others won't (unless there is something else they need to do), and some used to, but don't any more.   The new information, here, is that CW won't even do it (now) when there is other business pending which requires the stamp-transfer be done first.

With regards to the OP, there have been no problems having stamps transferred by anyone exiting via Air.  Just be sure to arrive for your flight with plenty of time to clear immigration. 

Notes:

1) The reason CW gave for not doing it:  must xfer extension at the place where it was done.  In my case, that would have been Chiang Mai. 

So perhaps CW would have done it had I received the extension at CW.

2) FYI the agent (TE) said that the exact same situation and result happened to another customer on Thursday.

3) The agent (TE) told me they must use the same immigration officer at CW every time.

29 minutes ago, john_bkk919 said:

So what's a good r/t flight to catch for my 'Elite' visa run? :rolleyes:

Thai Airways (TG) to Singapore?   Trying not to spend all day at the other country airport waiting for my return flight, which would be the case with TG to Vientiane or KL.

Why not do a straight in and out at KL? In fact, have a night or weekend there and do some shopping.

1 hour ago, john_bkk919 said:

So what's a good r/t flight to catch for my 'Elite' visa run? :rolleyes:

Thai Airways (TG) to Singapore?   Trying not to spend all day at the other country airport waiting for my return flight, which would be the case with TG to Vientiane or KL.

It is complicated a bit by the need to use Suwanabhumi. There would be other options from Don Muang. One option:

Jetstar BKK 11:45 SIN 15:15

Jetstar SIN 19:10 BKK 20:35

Relaxed meal and drink in Singapore (a pretty good airport) and not too much waiting around.

An alternative if you can enter Vietnam visa exempt (too much hassle otherwise) is

Vietnam Airways BKK 11:20 SGN 12:55

Vietnam Airways SGN 16:55 BKK 18:30

Tim - Thanks.  Does Jetstar have an office at Swampy?

I'm leaning towards flying Thai because they might be the only airline to take my 'Elite' letter seriously and not question the lack of a ticket out of Thailand when I check in for a visa-less return.

Booked the ticket today.  Minor kerfuffle as TG wanted to know what I was intending with a same day r/t and asked me to speak to a duty manager.   I played along.  In the end it was a pointless discussion as they weren't going to note my account.

Nobody had heard of this 'Elite' thing, which was no surprise to me.  I think they thought I was showing them some kind of diner's club card.  Of course my membership in a special club that requires me to fly out of the country to get a visa at the airport did not make a lot of sense to them.

But in the end certainly they didn't stop me from buying a ticket. 

• Like 1

FYI the Thai check in gal at Swampy checked me in and issued boarding passes for both legs of my r/t flight.  Thus neatly avoiding the issue of trying to check in in Malaysia with no visa and no onward flight.

If you find yourself having to do a border run by air like I did, just ask for both boarding passes when you check in at Swampy.

Note:  I had no checked luggage and I was returning the same day.