Want to build concrete block shed - approx price of labour and materials

JustAnotherFarang

Hi guys

After buying so many power tools and cluttering the house the time has come to build a concrete block shed. Something similar to this:-

The size would be 4m x 4m with a height of 2.75 meters with another 4x4m concrete floor and roof outdoor area to work,  Nothing fancy, one door, one window, probably rendered, cheap roof with wooden beams, maybe consider metal with electricity connected from a nearby source.   I called the local chang and he said 75,000 bht for labour not including materials which is just laughable imho.  What should be the approx cost of a build like this?

Cheers

JAF

Lamkyong, is on the mark...from experience around $2K USD....but you should think about a steel (Tin Sided) shed. Mostly because you can do most yourself and not have to worry about labour costs and how long the job will be dragged out......

I am not surprised mr Chang gave you a quote like that if it was exactly the same spec you have just given us.

You cannot cost up a job accurately until you have been to vist, know exactly what you want in terms of materials and finishes.

For all we know your shed might be in the middle of a large pond.

With all due respect it often laughable how many non trades people think they know better than the person who will be doing the job.

your first task is to draw your plan and quantify how many blocks (at 5bt,6bt,7bt,25bt), then check the price for 2m3 concrete delivered., how many bags of cement, 2 ton of sand.

Make a shopping list. If you have no construction knowledge then you at the mercy of everyone.

Then think about labour; 2 men for 3 weeks or 3 men for 3 weeks,  which parts can you use all your tools.?

just be methodical, spend some time checking material prices and slowly compile your own bill of quants. its not difficult if you know what you need.

19 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

I am not surprised mr Chang gave you a quote like that if it was exactly the same spec you have just given us.

You cannot cost up a job accurately until you have been to vist, know exactly what you want in terms of materials and finishes.

For all we know your shed might be in the middle of a large pond.

With all due respect it often laughable how many non trades people think they know better than the person who will be doing the job.

your first task is to draw your plan and quantify how many blocks (at 5bt,6bt,7bt,25bt), then check the price for 2m3 concrete delivered., how many bags of cement, 2 ton of sand.

Make a shopping list. If you have no construction knowledge then you at the mercy of everyone.

Then think about labour; 2 men for 3 weeks or 3 men for 3 weeks,  which parts can you use all your tools.?

just be methodical, spend some time checking material prices and slowly compile your own bill of quants. its not difficult if you know what you need.

Well to be fair, I did spend an hour with him on my land, showed him the video and had my wife explaining everything.  What I said here was just a brief overview of the facts and then to query the price of 75,000 bht just for labour.  But I also take on board that my inexperience and knowledge left me wide open to be scammed by this shyster.  Thats why I posted this query to see what price I should be expecting to pay for the build including material here.

JAF

• 2 weeks later...

I built a concrete outhouse about ten years back, about the same size. I had the blocks, but they are cheap. It was not rendered. The total cost was ฿10,000.
I just priced out some materials:
You will need two 3m posts at ฿450 each, ฿900, two 3.5m posts for a sloping roof at ฿525 each ฿1050.
Tin Roof panels are 17฿ per linear foot, and I think 55cm wide. I figure a concrete floor is about ฿500 per square metre, and 4 labourers at ฿400 per day for 5 days. That should give you a good start. Just a guess, but maybe ฿50,000 total.

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

huh, the labour  price is OBSCENE....... I  built  this for about 150k 2  years ago inc everything..............labour was FREE............did  it all myself to a  decent standard 50m2, also just stuck in an aircon as it was for a maid to live in but they were so dirty its  now a guesthouse and staff get a bamboo hut

IMG_4536.JPG

IMG_4484.JPG

IMG_4489.JPG

IMG_4485.JPG

IMG_4483.JPG

You buy all materials and pay a flat day rate. In Surin Province 3 years ago I could get decent guys for 250 a day and their wives for 180-200 a day. But you have to let them take other rice jobs & stuff. 

Nowadays I can't get them out for any less than 300 a day and the wives about 250. 

I use the father in laws main Chang for all my stuff now and pay him 450 a day, and he has a truck and arranges all the guys. I agree to the main Chang a payment of 300 baht for the men and 250 for the wives of his crew, but I can ONLY pay the main chang himself and NOT in front of the crew. He will pay out what he agrees to the crew themselves. 

This is just about the best and cheapest way to have a "Forman" responsible for a "Crew" 

I don't ever hire based on the "job" or an all inclusive labor cost unless its real simple and want someone out right now. 

A basic floor plan with columns on a grid of about 4x4 or 5x5 and thats all you need. From a little shed to a whole house. Let them get after it and keep them supplied with materials. 

Archived