Carrefour Cash Coverters

thaimee

I got some cheap audio CD's and was pleased with my purchase. Saved some serious baht's.

To be honest I think most second hand goods over here are at a premium price.

Cash Converters is the exception and must be hurting some of the pawn brokers in town who are over charging most folk anyways. So what you got that you saved a bundle of money...

Thaimee.

Know your stuff if u buy at cash converters!!!!

You can do good deals over there but buyer beware...

Friend of mine made a wrong buy in Panthip(not bad stuff, just not usefull for his purpose).

Went over to CC, they offered 30% of what he paid, he eventually got 50%...

Day after the item was on sale at 130% of what he paid in Panthip...

I just bought a palm VX at 2100 Baht. good value, they had others on sale(still have) at 3800 Baht which is too expensive...reason for low price on mine was lack of CD with the syncro software...a 3 minute download from palms website solved this(not bad for a 1700 baht discount over the others!)

They retail secondhand in the US at around 50 US$ so 2100Baht in Thailand is a good deal...

Know your stuff if u buy at cash converters!!!!

You can do good deals over there but buyer beware...

Friend of mine made a wrong buy in Panthip(not bad stuff, just not usefull for his purpose).

Went over to CC, they offered 30% of what he paid, he eventually got 50%...

Day after the item was on sale at 130% of what he paid in Panthip...

I just bought a palm VX at 2100 Baht. good value, they had others on sale(still have) at 3800 Baht which is too expensive...reason for low price on mine was lack of CD with the syncro software...a 3 minute download from palms website solved this(not bad for a 1700 baht discount over the others!)

They retail secondhand in the US at around 50 US$ so 2100Baht in Thailand is a good deal...

They probably pay over 100,000 Baht/month rent at that location...gotta come from somewhere!!!

I thought they had the Computer and Thai I.D card measures in place to back track on any mishaps (thefts) should such activities take place? As for the pricing I agree they can be hit and miss. I wanted to buy a tablet laptop as it's weight was insignificant and of small sizing. I asked for the receipt of sale and it had been foreign owned. The computer had been bought for 58,000 baht and they were selling for 52,000 baht. So for high demand Sales they don't give big enough a discount to warrant buying if you are sensible about Warranty/ Guarantee issues, right?

Thaimee.

• 3 years later...

There are a few good deals there from time to time... they had some brand new top brand appliances, in crushed boxes, with missing manuals, that were about 50% less than retail... got a good food processor, no problem... i also bought a brand new table, in a sealed box from Index, about 50% less... but most of the stuff is pretty junky... who in the right mind would buy a 10 year old typewriter, that you can't get parts or ribbons for, and they are EXPENSIVE too... they had this wooden sculpture of an eagle, almost a meter high... it was there for over a year... might still be there. whoever sold it to them must have been please they gave him anything... seems no one wanted the thing.

most of the electronics and camera equipment/accessories are out dated obsolete, and don't seem to be priced that low. once in a while they have some furniture that's o.k., and fairly priced.

they are very friendly in there... but who wants an expensive record turntable, they still have in the window, for, I think 15,000 baht? it might have been state of the art in 1972, but who wants it now? and especially at that price. i don't get it.

regardless, i have to admit it's sort of fun to look around that store.

There are a few good deals there from time to time... they had some brand new top brand appliances, in crushed boxes, with missing manuals, that were about 50% less than retail... got a good food processor, no problem... i also bought a brand new table, in a sealed box from Index, about 50% less... but most of the stuff is pretty junky... who in the right mind would buy a 10 year old typewriter, that you can't get parts or ribbons for, and they are EXPENSIVE too... they had this wooden sculpture of an eagle, almost a meter high... it was there for over a year... might still be there. whoever sold it to them must have been please they gave him anything... seems no one wanted the thing.

most of the electronics and camera equipment/accessories are out dated obsolete, and don't seem to be priced that low. once in a while they have some furniture that's o.k., and fairly priced.

they are very friendly in there... but who wants an expensive record turntable, they still have in the window, for, I think 15,000 baht? it might have been state of the art in 1972, but who wants it now? and especially at that price. i don't get it.

I think you would have to be high on crack or heroin to buy anything in that store.

But they've been open a while... seem to be doing ok, always customers inside... I consider it almost a museum of obsolete objects... and as I roam the aisles, I think to myself, "oh, I remember those, in the 80's..." It's like a trip down "memory lane" for me. Maybe that's their business plan: using old objects as a LURE to get people inside, who ultimately buy the pots and pans, cosmetics, or more usable stuff that isn't priced so high.

I saw a guy in there the other day testing out some golf clubs.

And don't always get fooled by the stickerprice. They are very open to negotiating "Thai" style :o

I pop in every time when I have to be in the building, and 1 out of 10 something pops out that might be interesting!

Example, I have a huge bunch of Minidiscs, and when my minidisc player gave out, cash converters was the only place for me get myself another one (1800 Baht, 2400 Baht on the sticker).

The only other place having these players was the Sony shop in BigC, and it was priced at 7900 Baht...

They also have a 30 day guarantee, if the thing stops working they will first try to repair, if unrepairable you'll get a voucher valid for three months (so you have a pretty good chance something else interesting to pop up). No cash back though...

In my opinion the daft people are the ones selling stuff over there, their mark-up is huge. For an item priced at 5000 Baht they have paid maximum 2000 Baht!

Cant see that shop staying open .Its just full of overpriced junk .

Agree

They seem to have been open a while, this thread was started over three years ago. Thanx to Weho it has been recycled!

Was browsing in the Cash Converters in Hua Hin & there was a beaten up drum kit for sale for 35,000B. Current retail price for the same kit new is about 25,000B. Stuff seems to sell though. Buyers aren't too bright!

Soundman.

Cash Converters is not owned by carrefoure. It is in fact a company who started off life as a Pawn Shop and have expanded to what it is now.

As in the Pawn Shop they are a magnet to those who have financial problems and something to "cash in" to assist them in their situation.

As for pricings, there seems to be a number of cases where good items can be purchased relatively cheaply whilst others seem to be expensive. Lets not lose sight of the fact that these are second hand shops, although they do have certain new items on sale which I guess may be insurance claims from damaged shipments/fires etc.

As for them not lasting long, well they seem to be doing alright to me and in cases such as Lat Phrao and Chaeng Wattana they have been there a few years

Its nickname crime converters is not for nothing..

I cannot imagine there are stringent controls in operation here in thailand...

oo.. I have a camera just like that one back in my hotel room...

:o

I'm in a habit of throwing or giving things away after I don't use them for a year.

I brought a Palm Vx from my homecountry to Thailand 4 years ago and after several attempts in getting the bloody thing to work I decided to bring it to CC.

They offered me THB 600 (including leather cover, cradle, CD), so THB 3800 means.........533.3% and THB 2100 means 250%..........for me that's a scam!!!!

Cant see that shop staying open .Its just full of overpriced junk .

Agree

This is one of the Pattaya's weird quirks. Shops that obviously do next to no business at all stay open forever. I've never seen a town where so many unprofitable businesses flourish. My only guess at an explanation would be sponsorship by foreigners with more money than sense keeps them running.

The only thing I ever bought from Cash converters is a Video player to watch my old Video's..

It was faulty and kept automatically switching off and wouldn't record.. Never again..

The place seems full of a load of Junk to me...

My partner once took something there to sell and was offered next to nothing..

My place was robbed of a 3 foot wooden Eagle 14 months ago! :o (used to get me about a lot cheaper than these taxis)

Edited by kratindaeng

My place was robbed of a 3 foot wooden Eagle 14 months ago! :o (used to get me about a lot cheaper than these taxis)

Ahh!!

Meter high wooden eagle just what I have been looking for all these years, look great as a bonnet (hood for our US cousins) mascot on the Fortuner. :D

Must get down there quick :D

TBWG :D

Bought there two years ago in that extremely hot season this indoor aircon thingmy that you have to fill with ice water. Came at 2,200 Baht. Sold it back to CC in the next cold season at 1,100 Baht.

On a side note....those indoor aircons are totally useless as they only add to the humidity...

I also bought there a HUGE microwave/grill/convection oven combination at 8,000 Baht...works great!

When I mived house, I sold some odds and ends there for a couple of hundred Baht that I otherwise would have thrown away...I was actually surprised that they bought it :o ...so I cannot say anything bad about the place!

As for the turntable...I saw it and I might even go for it. Have still lots of vinyls around that cannot listen to anymore...

As for the turntable...I saw it and I might even go for it. Have still lots of vinyls around that cannot listen to anymore...

Buy a new one. Cheaper, warranty, far more reliable, loads of features these days & with a decent stylus sound extremely good in comparisson to a 1970's vintage one.