Pound drops to lowest level since 1985 

webfact

17 hours ago, SgtRock said:

As I have been saying for months, despite the procrastinations of those that have there heads deeply embedded where the sun dont shine and cannot see past the end of there noses.

It is getting worse for DB.

On Friday

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-10-17/deutsche-bank-pays-38-million-settle-silver-manipulation-lawsuit

The only reason that DB is currently an ongoing concern on the expectation that the DOJ is going to drop its fine from $ 14 Billion to the region of $ 4 - 5 Billion.

IMO this is not going to happen due to the massive amounts of lawsuits that DB have had to settle over the last 2 years.

http://www.activistpost.com/2016/09/deutsche-bank-going-under-real-reason-germans-told-prepare-national-crisis.html

Think Lehmans but only worse ? Understatement of the day. This will kill the euro completely and ultimately lead to the demise of the entire EZ.

Contrary to the wisdom of those who doubt that this will happen, the UK will benefit enormously from this, providing that they can put a big enough buffer zone in place before the EZ collapses.

Well SR it would seem that you are spot on with your predictions from todays news. Before those who start claiming it is an express story read it, the report was written by someone else who seems to know what he is on about.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/722697/Deutsche-Bank-collapse-Germany-European-Union

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Well SR it would seem that you are spot on with your predictions from todays news. Before those who start claiming it is an express story read it, the report was written by someone else who seems to know what he is on about.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/722697/Deutsche-Bank-collapse-Germany-European-Union

It's a report written by a management consultant which means very little, interestingly it doesn't say who commissioned the report and since such things are client confidential, I strongly suspect a self serving purpose!  I say these things not because I want to try and invalidate the report or the article but to try and put it into context, I was a management consultant with the Big Four in the City for many years hence I do understand some of this picture at least. And since news of the report, details and substance of which are very light on the ground, is coming from the DE, I am even more suspicious of motive given they are the paper who is constantly going on and on about Deutsche and seem single handedly to be responsible for Rock's infatuation with the subject. My verdict, just another newspaper selling article designed to hook readers into the next chapter.

21 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

what a load of journàrselistic cràp²!  :cheesy:

The potential collapse could trigger an economic catastrophe in the EU with Deutsche Bank’s holdings worth two thirds the size of the entire German economy,

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Personally I always thought property was overpriced especially in London. I still don't feel that house prices will make houses more available as there just isn't enough. houses so prices are still inflated.

I think where lots of people go wrong is they measure their wealth in the equity in a house which, as happened before can get 'whisked away.'

No - house PRICES haven't changed - because of the pound being cheap it means that foreign investors will find it a lot cheaper to buy property in the UK - the avarage UK house buyer won't benefit - unless they are using a foreign currency. In fact in areas of the market that are attractive to non-sterling investors there could even be a price rise.

Edited by Loeilad

Reported on the forex datafeed that the government accepts that there would need to be a parliament vote on the Brexit agreement.

Article 50 decision by the courts in 2/3 weeks. Time has been allocated in December for an appeal by either side.

Do not ask for link or reference, it is not allowed.

6 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Reported on the forex datafeed that the government accepts that there would need to be a parliament vote on the Brexit agreement.

Article 50 decision by the courts in 2/3 weeks. Time has been allocated in December for an appeal by either side.

Do not ask for link or reference, it is not allowed.

Since when is a link or reference for verification not been allowed on this site?    I think one or more Bangkok publications are disallowed but if others, please fill me in.

Edited by watcharacters
change a character

2 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Since when as a link or reference for varification not been allowed on this site?    I think one or more Bangkok publications are disallowed but if others, please fill me in.

Quotes I made in the past have been removed under what they term 'Fair Use Policy'. I think because you have to register with the site.

10 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Quotes I made in the past have been removed under what they term 'Fair Use Policy'. I think because you have to register with the site.

In reference to this thread and how flicked the global markets can be I offer this link.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1996-06-03/business/9606030053_1_pacific-rim-practice-e-y-kenneth-leventhal-japanese-investors

I  actually was looking for a  reference to when Japanese paid a pretty high price for a Hawaiian golf course  when it was cheaper to fly from Japan to Hawaii than to play 18 holes in Japan.     In the long run the Japanese investors  lost a massive amount of their investment due to the changing nature of real estate and the related exchange rates.

Technically  a quote from  a copyrighted article  should be in quotes but since  a poster on this site is not gaining profit from a quote, I'd say it would be  overly pedantic to prohibit the use of a quote sans the marks.   I'm sure this site has in it's legal disclaimer  that  it has no responsibility for the post of any member.

Edited by watcharacters

27 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Well Naam I hope that statement does not come back to haunt you. Even the bias BBC and the lefty guardian are saying similar things. Anyway time will tell.

Another one worth a read

Mass exodus at Deutsche Bank as it plans to obliterate US jobs amid collapse fears

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/722015/Mass-exodus-at-Deutsche-Bank-as-it-plans-to-obliterate-US-jobs-amid-collapse-fears

Not to worry, its all just a conspiracy against DB :whistling::whistling:

23 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

It seems like the penny is starting to drop, however, and a new word is entering our lexicon. The Bregretters are those who voted to leave but are now realising just how Pyrrhic your victory is.

Brexit: If EU referendum was held again Remain would win due to 'Bregret', official figures reveal

You wish , carry on dreaming

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

Naam,

What do you foresee a year or two down the road as the result of the Brexit  vote?  I'm asking that in regards to  the UK, EU , and USA.

being a pragmatic cosmopolitan citizen and investor i consider Brexit being like the proverbial storm in a teacup. the ridiculous forecasts from both sides (Bremainers = Armageddon / Brexiteers = reestablishment of the British Empire) will slowly fizzle out, rational thoughts and rational solutions will be applied to solve problems, no such things like trade wars or being shut out from markets, no EU travel or residence restrictions for U.K. citizens. in short... business as usual, GBP at fair value vs. other major currencies based on (future) prevailing global economic ambience. and those of us who will take a look in five years at some Thaivisa Brexit threads will lough out loudly or will be embarrassed when reading their own comments.

all afore-said as always in my[not so]humble view  :jap: 

50 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Well Naam I hope that statement does not come back to haunt you. Even the bias BBC and the lefty guardian are saying similar things. Anyway time will tell.

haven't you realised that the expression "holdings" instead of "liabilities" was used?

oh dear... :coffee1:

24 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

Another one worth a read

B

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/722015/Mass-exodus-at-Deutsche-Bank-as-it-plans-to-obliterate-US-jobs-amid-collapse-fears

Not to worry, its all just a conspiracy against DB :whistling::whistling:

The reason Deutshe Bank is planning to drastically reduce its presence in the USA  has nothing to do with the Euro or Brexit. Basically, it got caught committing massive fraud for which it has incurred a massive fine from the US government.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-16/deutsche-bank-is-said-to-explore-shrinking-its-u-s-operations

2 hours ago, Loeilad said:

"Poundland" -  a good assessment of the situation with UK poiund...

""There will be one group of people for whom a plunging pound is very good news indeed. London property has just become massively cheaper if you are a foreign buyer. For holders of dollars and euros and other “citizens of the world”, the sale is now on. Britain is becoming a poundland bargain – so long as you don’t actually earn your living here." - Guardian

Thaivisa members and other financial bigshots are queuing up to buy London properties shelling out "only" 80 million Dollars instead of 92 million Dollars before the Pound dipped.

yawwnnn... 

4 minutes ago, Naam said:

Thaivisa members and other financial bigshots are queuing up to buy London properties shelling out "only" 80 million Dollars instead of 92 million Dollars before the Pound dipped.

yawwnnn... 

So, according to you, the only properties that have undergone reduction in prices are those that now sell for 80 million dollars?  You sure about that?

10 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

The reason Deutshe Bank is planning to drastically reduce its presence in the USA  has nothing to do with the Euro or Brexit. Basically, it got caught committing massive fraud for which it has incurred a massive fine from the US government.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-16/deutsche-bank-is-said-to-explore-shrinking-its-u-s-operations

Taken in isolation you are correct.

Try looking at the fines that have been paid over the last 2 years.

How much the share price has fallen over the last year.

This is much, much more than the DOJ fine of $ 13 Billion.

It has absolutely everything to  do with the euro and Brexit.

Its demise will kill the euro and the EZ as a whole.

The UK will benefit massively from the resulting sh!tstorm when this happens.

2 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. Or at least careful, well supported reasoning.  You offer nothing but assertions.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Not much consolation for us here in Thailand with the Baht getting stronger this morning.

Consolation. ?. How Old are You. Its a contingency that us Coffin Dodgers have built in to our Financial Planning as we were not born into the Entitlement Generation. Yes it makes a difference but insignificant if one planned ones own affairs and not left it to your Governments Pension Fund Dummies. Jeeez my Portuguese pension wouldn't buy a Starbucks Nescafe and Bun for 4 People.:stoner:

11 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

If I'm correct, then why did you cite it as evidence? It's not.

52 minutes ago, i claudius said:

You wish , carry on dreaming

Dreaming? It is there in black and white! I know brexiters seem to think they know better, but please tell me how you can call verifiable facts as dreaming? The only attept made to counter these facts was a Facebook cartoon, yet I am the one who is dreaming, which was as laughable as your entire Breixt movement.

3 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

If I'm correct, then why did you cite it as evidence? It's not.

deutsche-bank-fall-chart.png

The Deutsche Bank crisis: How we got here, and where we are

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/09/29/the-deutsche-bank-crisis-how-we-got-here-and-where-we-are.html

Make your own mind up.

The effect  of the DOJ $ 13 Billion fine probably have not hit yet as there is a fleeting hope that it will be reduced to $ 4 - 6 Billion.

22 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

So, according to you, the only properties that have undergone reduction in prices are those that now sell for 80 million dollars?  You sure about that?

the property price range i mentioned are the ones well-off foreign investors are interested in. they don't buy rowhouses in London's eastend who's prices might have dropped a fistful thousand pounds.

1 hour ago, Naam said:

being a pragmatic cosmopolitan citizen and investor i consider Brexit being like the proverbial storm in a teacup. the ridiculous forecasts from both sides (Bremainers = Armageddon / Brexiteers = reestablishment of the British Empire) will slowly fizzle out, rational thoughts and rational solutions will be applied to solve problems, no such things like trade wars or being shut out from markets, no EU travel or residence restrictions for U.K. citizens. in short... business as usual, GBP at fair value vs. other major currencies based on (future) prevailing global economic ambience. and those of us who will take a look in five years at some Thaivisa Brexit threads will lough out loudly or will be embarrassed when reading their own comments.

all afore-said as always in my[not so]humble view  :jap: 

So in your opinion  "much ado about nothing"?

I tend to agree that  it's similar to even the most incredible headline such as the Panama papers which had a half life of  not more than one week.