Minimum age for work permit?

Dear all,

I accepted an offer and am in process of getting Non-B.

The company is about to mail me the invitation letter and everything. 

However, I just received a call and recruiter told me that they just checked,

the minimum age to apply for the work permit is 22 years old, according to law.

Since I am only 21 years old and 9 months, they told me it's not possible to obtain the work permit.

I was trying to find online, but there seem not to be any information regarding minimum age limit.

Please let me know, thank you so much. 

It would be great if you can attach link or something from official website.

Thank you. 

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

As far as I know there is no minimum age to get a work permit.

Thanks for the reply. 

http://wp.doe.go.th/wp/index.php/en/home-en

There seems not to be any age restrictions mentioned as well.

If there is one, might be 20 or so (I'm guessing).

I already emailed them and asked them to show me documents if possible. 

I do not want to get refused at this stage since I have declined my other offers already.

Appreciate your response. 

3 minutes ago, elviajero said:

There must be a minimum age, but there is nothing in the Alien Working Act specifying that it's 21. The minimum age for employment in Thailand is 15 (18 for some jobs) which would apply to foreigners too. 

Thanks for the reply. I am currently 21 and they just told me the restriction is 22 yrs old. 

Since I already accepted the offer, I doubt that they might regret or something else happens. 

I already emailed them back and request them to show me documentation for age restriction, since I already declined other offers after I accepted this one. 

I hired a lot of people over the years, but never came across this one. You should also remember that by Thai logic, you are already 1 year old on the day you are born. 

Perhaps they are having cold feet about hiring you? sorry, but it must come into consideration.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

I hired a lot of people over the years, but never came across this one. You should also remember that by Thai logic, you are already 1 year old on the day you are born. 

Perhaps they are having cold feet about hiring you? sorry, but it must come into consideration.

That's what I thought after I looked up for age limit too. 

I already emailed them but did not mention about if they're regretting giving me offer.

I will see what they reply then. 

Thanks for the reply. 

Elviajero said the minimum age for employment in Thailand is 15 years old (18 for some jobs). Does anyone know where one can find a listing of which jobs 15 year olds can do and which jobs you need to be 18 years old? My g/f has a soon-to-be 15 year old daughter and she has stated in the past that her daughter can not work until she is 18.

53 minutes ago, xcollon said:

Thanks for the reply. I am currently 21 and they just told me the restriction is 22 yrs old. 

Since I already accepted the offer, I doubt that they might regret or something else happens. 

I already emailed them back and request them to show me documentation for age restriction, since I already declined other offers after I accepted this one. 

I am sure that there is no 22 year old minimum age. As suggested above it could be an excuse for not proceeding with the job offer.

7 minutes ago, watgate said:

Elviajero said the minimum age for employment in Thailand is 15 years old (18 for some jobs). Does anyone know where one can find a listing of which jobs 15 year olds can do and which jobs you need to be 18 years old? My g/f has a soon-to-be 15 year old daughter and she has stated in the past that her daughter can not work until she is 18.

The list is in the Labour Protection Act 1998 under child labour (Chapter 4). It's mainly dangerous jobs or working in certain places.

You'll find the Act here: http://www.thailaws.com >> Acts & Decree

13 hours ago, watgate said:

This is for thai people,so they can do any kind of job.There is no minimum age to obtain a work permit(at least you should be 18).For thai people, If you are 15 years old your employer should report you to the Labour dept.If you are 18 yso no need to report.

Edited by Ian1980

On 10/4/2016 at 5:42 PM, watgate said:

Definitely so for working in bar, sometimes when raided by out of area BIB 21yrs old

they are judge and jury,........lol