True Adsl : Some Inbound Traffic Blocked ?

cclub75

I'm using True ADSL (individual).

And last sunday I've noticed that the dynamic IP addresses attributed have totally changed of range. From 124.121.XX.XX to 61.91.XX.XX

Since then, I can't anymore initiate from another PC a Windows Remote Desktop connection to my True ADSL PC....

WRD uses the port 3389.

And when I make a port scan of my True ADSL IP... I can see only 3 ports open : 23, 80, 110.

I've checked of course the True ADSL modem (D-link), and nothing has changed (no change in firewall rules).

So i'm wondering, if True is blocking some inbound traffic. Have you noticed such thing ?

I'm using True ADSL (individual).

And last sunday I've noticed that the dynamic IP addresses attributed have totally changed of range. From 124.121.XX.XX to 61.91.XX.XX

Since then, I can't anymore initiate from another PC a Windows Remote Desktop connection to my True ADSL PC....

So you always have to know the (dynamic) IP address of your TRUE connection in order to use remote desktop of your True ADSL PC? How can you possibly do this since it is always changing?

If you answer "yes" to my first question, then you might like to try a FREE solution. Sign up for DynDNS and use that information in the DDNS page of your router. This way, you will always know the IP address of your TRUE connection. You just need to memorize your DynDNS account name + :port number (ie: cclub75.dyndns.org:3389)

If you are not using a router (or one that does not have a DDNS configuration) you can use another piece of FREE software DynDNS Updater. DynDNS Updater uses the same info (from your DynDNS account) to track and update your ever-changing (dynamic) DNS of your TRUE connection.

Edited by Rice_King

So you always have to know the (dynamic) IP address of your TRUE connection in order to use remote desktop of your True ADSL PC? How can you possibly do this since it is always changing?

Correct. I use no-ip.com

Works great too.

There is only 1 flaw : it doesn't show the time of the last IP address update. This info can be usefull to see if there is a problem (server down for instance).

So I might have a look to DYNDns, to compare.

That statement led me to believe you were not using any type of DynDNS solution as I have no clue what my IP is. With DynDNS, I rarely have the need to know it.

No-IP service should work regardless of what your TRUE connection's IP "range" is. Maybe time for a switch to another DNS service?

FYI: I currently have TRUE and use Remote Desktop without any issues.

Edited by Rice_King

That statement led me to believe you were not using any type of DynDNS solution as I have no clue what my IP is. With DynDNS, I rarely have the need to know it.

No-IP service should work regardless of what your TRUE connection's IP "range" is. Maybe time for a switch to another DNS service?

I don't really understand....

From your TRUE PC, you go on :

http://www.whatsmyip.org/

And you will know your TRUE IP address at any given time. :o

As for my Remote Desktop issue, I'm not "on site" (In Thailand) right now, so I've got problem to totally sort it out myself. And the problem was only "inbound" (Remote access from outside thailand, to a PC in Thailand).

FWIW, my company installed the free hamachi (hamachi.cc) in all our workstations and servers (windows, linux). Wherever any of us are in the world, hamachi gives us a secure VPN so we can share files and remote desktop. This also allows us to add firewall rules allowing no outside access whatsoever except over the hamachi nic. No longer need to worry about routers, NAT, IP addresses.

One last thing, as all packets are encrypted on hamachi, I find that it is often faster to proxy web pages over hamachi which defeats True's packet shaping.

Dead simple to setup. Well worth a look.

FWIW, my company installed the free hamachi (hamachi.cc) in all our workstations and servers (windows, linux). Wherever any of us are in the world, hamachi gives us a secure VPN so we can share files and remote desktop.

I agree. I tried it recently (Thailand <> France).

However, I had some speed issue. It was not lightfastning (I was in the 5 % of case where Hamachi uses a "relay")...

In the pay version, it's seem possible to remove encryption to speed up.

Extreme simplicity of use ! I mean, if you were trying before to play between VNC, Remote Desktop, UltraVNC SC, firewall settings, port forwarding and other happy things... Then Hamachi is amazing.

How do you manage the fact that sometimes the connexion (line) can break ? Especially for Remote control purposes. Someone has to click to put Hamachi on line. No ?

Edited by cclub75

I don't really understand....

From your TRUE PC, you go on :

http://www.whatsmyip.org/

And you will know your TRUE IP address at any given time. :o

Apologies, but I'm not sure I understand your circumstance either.

My PC in Thailand is at yournamehere.dyndns.org:3389. Knowing this info, why should I query whatsmyip.org for my IP address? DynDNS keeps the TRUE dynamic IP updated to match the above (yournamehere.dyndns.org:3389) address on my PC in Thailand.

When I am away, I simply "remote in" to my desktop PC via my laptop with yournamehere.dyndns.org:3389 in the remote desktop's "computer" field. It always connects.

Apologies, but I'm not sure I understand your circumstance either.

My PC in Thailand is at yournamehere.dyndns.org:3389. Knowing this info, why should I query whatsmyip.org for my IP address? DynDNS keeps the TRUE dynamic IP updated to match the above (yournamehere.dyndns.org:3389) address on my PC in Thailand.

When I am away, I simply "remote in" to my desktop PC via my laptop with yournamehere.dyndns.org:3389 in the remote desktop's "computer" field. It always connects.

I totally agree, there are just 2 differents methods :o

Actually, to tell you everything, my no-ip is configured to forward automatically the port 81 (for another application that i use). This is why, to use Remote Desktop I need to type the TRUE IP address.

Voila.

• 11 months later...

It is now one year later and I am wondering whether you are still successful with Remote Desktop? I have tried getting from the US to my Bangkok apartment (using True). I am not successful using Remote Desktop or VNC. I have tried all kinds of port mappings on my router-- above and below port 1000.

I am a knowledgeable computer user. I am using no-ip.com to deal with the dynamic IP assignment. I am comfortable configuring my router and setting up networks.

Are there any tricks I should know about?

Correct. I use no-ip.com

Works great too.

There is only 1 flaw : it doesn't show the time of the last IP address update. This info can be usefull to see if there is a problem (server down for instance).

So I might have a look to DYNDns, to compare.

Normally you don't need to see the last update of the IP if you use DUC for updating. You can also set the refresh time, I set my one to 20 min. May you need to change the port you use to an different one and use Port Redirect from no-ip.

I use no-ip several years for many server and mail server without any problems, even without problems from the ISP. And that's something what I was never able to tell from DYDNS at the time I was using that.

It is now one year later and I am wondering whether you are still successful with Remote Desktop? I have tried getting from the US to my Bangkok apartment (using True). I am not successful using Remote Desktop or VNC. I have tried all kinds of port mappings on my router-- above and below port 1000.

I am a knowledgeable computer user. I am using no-ip.com to deal with the dynamic IP assignment. I am comfortable configuring my router and setting up networks.

I was in the US a month ago. And yes, Remote Desktop still worked at that time to connect here to my machine in Chiang Mai. I am using the standard port (3389) for Remote Desktop. I just type xxxxxxx.gotdns.com:3389 in the address window and it connects without an issue.

I can confirm that since one year... no problem. But I never saw again the IP address with the special range I was talking about in my first message.

As for your own issue, I would advise you to make a test with Hamachi. That could give you a clue.

And what about your firewall ? Did you check it ?

And finally, what is the usual range of IP address you get with your True ADSL in BKK ?