Where's The Coolest Place To Live All Year Round In Thailand?

Riley'sLife

I'm trying to find somewhere I don't need to escape from, in the heat of the summer. Right now I live in Songkhla. During the rainy season it's fine- 28-31C in the day and 25-27C at night, -slightly less when it's just been raining. It gets way too hot from March through to August down here. I got heatstroke last year, and I'm dreading the coming summer. So, where's the coolest place to live all year round in Thailand?

I don't mind being in the boonies at all, provided I can get to buy farang supplies within a couple of hours drive or less. Maybe up north in Chiang Mai/ Rai? ... in the hills around Khao Yai National Park? Northern Isaan? Where in Thailand is it cool (or even cold) in the winter, and not so hot (ie max 28C) in the summer?

Any ideas guys?

Loei is very cool in the winter, and would probably be alright for you for six months a year.

However, I doubt that you will find anywhere in Thailand that is temperate in summer, unless you live in a tent on a mountain.

If the hot weather is too much for you in the summer months, you might either have to rely on air-con, sleep during the day and live a nocturnal life or live for six months a year in another country.

Edited by libya 115

Chiang Mai is a good choice, cool weather and quite a nice little expat community if you want that.

I agree Chaing Mai is a good candidate. I'm a few K outside of town in Mae Rim. During the cool season, now the evening temp drop to 15C-20C. Warmer during the day getting up to 22C-35C.

Its about the same during the rainy season. The hot season is much warmer evening temp hover around 34C day temp can sometime get brutal getting up to 38C-40C.

Shopping is not a problem, Have 2 large shopping centers, but not as grand as in BKK, but can find anything you might be shopping for. Grocery shopping i also good. Several large stores catter to farang tastes. Roads are also good and generally not congested, but watch out for the ###### motor bikes. They are kamakazzi.

I'm trying to find somewhere I don't need to escape from, in the heat of the summer. Right now I live in Songkhla. During the rainy season it's fine- 28-31C in the day and 25-27C at night, -slightly less when it's just been raining. It gets way too hot from March through to August down here. I got heatstroke last year, and I'm dreading the coming summer. So, where's the coolest place to live all year round in Thailand?

I don't mind being in the boonies at all, provided I can get to buy farang supplies within a couple of hours drive or less. Maybe up north in Chiang Mai/ Rai? ... in the hills around Khao Yai National Park? Northern Isaan? Where in Thailand is it cool (or even cold) in the winter, and not so hot (ie max 28C) in the summer?

Any ideas guys?

Chiang Mai is a good bet for parts of the year although February through July can also be very very hot. Another problem is that air quality in Chiang Mai is often very poor and you need to take a view on this. A combination of farmers to the north burning the ground mixing with industrial and automotive pollution often makes the place very unpleasant. This is magnified of course because CM sits in a basin and is usally at its worst in the hot season.

IMHO Chiang Mai has four WONDERFUL MONTHS and 3 HORRIBLE MONTHS. The months when the air is poluted and it is so hot are the months I try and get away, go on trips etc, although you can't escape the heat this way you can escape the polution.

But the four months when it is fantastic, like it is NOW make it the best place to live in LOS , once again IMHO, I am not seeking controversy here!

I was in BK last week and it was a releif to get back, although its a bit cooler there now , its still muggy and raining.

Like many I could have chosen anywhere to live here, my Wife comes from Surat Thani..but it ALWAYS to hot for me there.

If you don't like the heat why live in thailand?

If you don't like the question,

why do you have to answere?

:o:D:D

its true though - there must be some other not so hot 3rd world countries with easy women which may be a better choice.

Edited by goldenmile

I totally agreed that Chiangmai is the place to live LOS, nice cool weather and not much traffic congestion.

Not much traffic? Have you ever been to Chiang Mai? I compare Chiang Mai traffic to Bangkok except Bangkok DOES have the subway and Sky train.

Every place in the country has miserable HOT days. I get some relief by going near the top of a nearby mountain to drink a few beers. It is cooler up there, but maybe it's more accurate to say that it is not AS hot up there as down below.

If you like the idea of Chiang Mai but don't like the pollution/congestion problems, come up to the most beautiful place in Thailand, Pai.

A lovely little town within easy shopping distance of Chaing Mai, friendly locals and some falang but not too many and the climate is as close to perfect as you could get in Thailand. today I am wearing a pullover but the sun is shining so it will be warm later in the day....

No beach here but no brothels or Tuk Tuks either, excellent accomodation available and now we have four banks!!

Thanks for the interesting replies.

This intolerance to heat..(actually I think it's more the humidity/heat combination) is a very recent problem for me. I've lived in hot climates 20 years- Thailand 5 years. Never had a problem until last summer. I was doing some hard physical exercise - NO... not what you think!!!..... I was very hot and thirsty and downed a couple of beers and then a coke and my heart started beating really fast. The short story is that I ended up in hospital in Songkhla then to Bkk having loads of tests. I have fully recovered but it has left me with this heat/high relative humidity intolerance. Easily controlled by getting into aircon when it's too hot, but I would like to find somewhere that is naturally cooler if possible.

Do you think it's possible to find somewhere to live in Chiangmai Province or another northern Province up in the hills somewhere coolish? Does the burning mainly effect just Chiang Mai City, or is it the whole province? I would prefer to be out of the city within a couple of hours drive by car for weekly shopping.

What about that area up in the hills north west of CM where Mama's horticultural Gardens are located. Is it cooler there in the summer? Being up in the hills with a bit of a breeze would be perfect, even if the temp is high. Anyone been to Chiang Dao area.. cooler? Maybe I’ll come and join you for a beer up on your hilltop retreat in Loei Gary! Is there a breeze?

Does anyone here live in the hills?

This intolerance to heat..(actually I think it's more the humidity/heat combination) is a very recent problem for me. I've lived in hot climates 20 years- Thailand 5 years. Never had a problem until last summer. I was doing some hard physical exercise - NO... not what you think!!!..... I was very hot and thirsty and downed a couple of beers and then a coke and my heart started beating really fast. The short story is that I ended up in hospital in Songkhla then to Bkk having loads of tests. I have fully recovered but it has left me with this heat/high relative humidity intolerance. Easily controlled by getting into aircon when it's too hot, but I would like to find somewhere that is naturally cooler if possible.

Do you think it's possible to find somewhere to live in Chiangmai Province or another northern Province up in the hills somewhere coolish? Does the burning mainly effect just Chiang Mai City, or is it the whole province? I would prefer to be out of the city within a couple of hours drive by car for weekly shopping.

What about that area up in the hills north west of CM where Mama's horticultural Gardens are located. Is it cooler there in the summer? Being up in the hills with a bit of a breeze would be perfect, even if the temp is high. Anyone been to Chiang Dao area.. cooler? Maybe I’ll come and join you for a beer up on your hilltop retreat in Loei Gary! Is there a breeze?

Some days we have a pleasant breeze but mostly NOT. This time of year is absolutely delightful. Warm days and some quite cool nights. Some mornings you can see your breath. Right now it is 77 degrees F with 54 percent humidity. If you get up this way, drop me a PM and I'd be happy to show you around the area. My friend from Krabi always teases me about living in the high desert.

We live 40 klms south of Pak Chong in the Khao Yai hills. 1 hour from Saraburi, 1.5 from Khorat, 2.5 from Bangkok. 500 metre elevation. No traffic, no pollution, constant breeze most days. Very scenic and 100 billion stars to look at every clear night. :o

Regards

Some days we have a pleasant breeze but mostly NOT. This time of year is absolutely delightful. Warm days and some quite cool nights. Some mornings you can see your breath. Right now it is 77 degrees F with 54 percent humidity. If you get up this way, drop me a PM and I'd be happy to show you around the area. My friend from Krabi always teases me about living in the high desert.

I have a house up in Dan Sai and they have frost here in the middle of winter!

Have you thought about staying in the south? Phangnga Town could be an option. I lived there for 3 years and the combination of mountains, rain and breezes kept things comfortable. Even in the 'hot' season it never got too bad. Around an hour to Phuket and Krabi, the same to the beaches of the Khao Lak area and stunning scenery too. It does have a long rainy season but that is usually only showers (some heavy and prolonged though). I loved it there. I'm over on the east coast now and it seems much hotter here year round.

4 factors

Altitude = Top of Doi Inthanon

Latitude = Mae Sai

Time of day = Go to bed around 2pm

Continental Effect = Far from the coast in the cool season and near it during the hotter months.

Best you live the life of a mountain goat on the top of Doi Pha Hom Pok

4 factors

Altitude = Top of Doi Inthanon

Latitude = Mae Sai

Time of day = Go to bed around 2pm

Continental Effect = Far from the coast in the cool season and near it during the hotter months.

Best you live the life of a mountain goat on the top of Doi Pha Hom Pok

I guess if you want cool all year round go to Alaska!