Floating Down the Ping River

luther

I probably only want to do this 2 or 3 times a year. I'd like to put in at the 3011 bridge about 15 Kilometers south of Mae Tang and float towards the city. I ride a bike up the river most days. If you call the bridge on the highway from Mae Rim to Mae Jo “Number 1,” I occasionally ride 4 bridges up river.

Does anyone know where you can rent canoes for a couple of days. Can you even buy a canoe in Chiang Mai? The tripadvisor expedition things are ridiculous as are the prices on bahtsold.

Just asking, anyone floated down the Ping?

I did this a few years ago in my cheap, bought on ebay inflatable kayak.  Put in north of 3038, just south of Ngat Dam.  Just south of here the Ping goes through a forested "wilderness" area - no roads or development on the banks.  This is the best part of the trip.

You used to be able to hire plastic sit on top kayaks south of Iron bridge in CM.  Still possible?

On 07/10/2016 at 5:30 PM, luther said:

Now I know why you have twenty-one thousand, one hundred and fifty-one posts.  Stetson, Panama, or baseball cap?

It was sailors hat of course, silly! :)

Sorry OP that I can't be more helpful on this point but I couldn't resist. I do know that items such as kayaks/canoes/boats tend to be very expensive outside of a marina where there are many dealers and/or in the absence of knowing somebody personally - have you tried looking in Baht And Found? Maybe an ad in the classified on TVF? Maybe make your own, sounds odd but not that difficult, if you have space, time and interest?

Regarding the water quality of the Ping river, we can all see the brown color due mostly to ag/forest runoff of soil but what about the actual microbes which may harm us if we get into the water?  Downstream of any village/town which has no water treatment plant i suppose the microbe load is high, but the dilution is also high now so maybe in fact swimming is not so bad.  If heavy metals from factories, they often sink to the bottom sediment, where we won't be going.  Finally, DO NOT drink the water. 

You could put in at Ban Ping Koung ...road north from CM at the junction to the road East to Phroe.  Right angle bridge over the Mae Ping. Ask locals to build you a bamboo raft. Yes , you need to learn a few simple phrases in Thai and know the value of a bamboo raft , It is not much. A nice float.