Deputy PM Somkid is on roadshow to persuade German tyre factory to invest in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

Deputy PM Somkid is on roadshow to persuade German tyre factory to invest in Thailand

2815d3d962c6e97bbc108ad4f7a5f351-wpcf_72

The government is now moving ahead with its ‘road-show’ campaigns to attract European investors to the country.

The latest effort is now being made by the team led by deputy prime minister Somkid Jatusripitak on his tour to France and Germany from October 4-8.

In France, Dr Somkid approached a premium tire manufacturer to invest in R&D and high-technology production facilities in Thailand.

He met with the chief executive of the famed Continental Tires which produces premium grade tires for supercars such as Porsche and Lamborghini manufacturer to discuss the possibility of investing in Thailand.

The move was part of the government’s ‘road-show’ campaign to attract foreign investment to the country under its 4.0 policy.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/somkid-roadshow-persuade-german-tyre-factory-invest-thailand/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-10-08

Is it just me or are others noticing the economy is going to s***. I'm noticing more business shutting down. I can feel it in the air. Maybe it's just me.

Personally, I wouldn't touch Thailand with a 50 foot pole in term of investing here and seeing a return. Definitely not at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Is it just me or are others noticing the economy is going to s***. I'm noticing more business shutting down. I can feel it in the air. Maybe it's just me.

Personally, I wouldn't touch Thailand with a 50 foot pole in term of investing here and seeing a return. Definitely not at the moment. 

If you want to leave Thailand with a little bit of money...........come with a lot!!!

30 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

"I wouldn't touch Thailand with a 50 foot pole..."

He seems more interested in the two metre Germans and French and not the Eastern Europeans.  

For any foreign company requiring high productivity Thailand would be the last place in Asia to look. Many foreign investors (and Thai investors) are moving  into Vietnam, Cambodia and Myanmar where the work ethic is greater and productivity higher. Other issues can play a part like sovereign risk and tax concessions and workers wages and these can detract from what little appeal Thailand might have. 

Military controlled governments don't seem to have much popularity with foreign investors as was demonstrated late in 2014 when many fled the country. Can't work out why when the people running Thailand now are such nice chaps.

Will Somkid also tell the Germans that while they're more than welcome to bring in 100% of the funds to set up the plant and technology, Thailand will only permit them to hold a maximum of 49% in their subsidiary company and that the Thai holders of the 51% share can give them the boot anytime and as soon as business is up and running? I bet he won't. 

18 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

Will Somkid also tell the Germans that while they're more than welcome to bring in 100% of the funds to set up the plant and technology, Thailand will only permit them to hold a maximum of 49% in their subsidiary company and that the Thai holders of the 51% share can give them the boot anytime and as soon as business is up and running? I bet he won't. 

Those rules are only for small fry, big manufacturers like Continental would qualify under the Board of Investment criteria:

BOI-new.jpg

2 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

In France, Dr Somkid approached a premium tire manufacturer to invest in R&D and high-technology production facilities in Thailand.

He met with the chief executive of the famed Continental Tires which produces premium grade tires for supercars such as Porsche and Lamborghini manufacturer to discuss the possibility of investing in Thailand.

I was going to say that they could develop a niche market here specializing in tires from which you can easily scrape off the remains of police officers, but then I thought better of it and I am not going to say that.

3 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Thai Airways charter flight I wonder?.....Noodles on the way there?

Do they supply the red carpet? I am sure with all the Syrians flooding both countries they will have access to labor that is even cheaper than Thailands. That was the ultimate purpose of the Syrian swarm was it not? Tyres for Lamborgini's to be made here? Like trying to put a square peg into a round hole. 

1 hour ago, Ace of Pop said:

Whats the old fool on about, They have been here since 2008 making pumps and other bits. They arent that dim that they wouldn't make tires here if there was profit in it. The Plants in India can cope without one here.

I wonder if the article was meant to say "more investment" or he seriously doesn't know they are already here??

Perhaps someone should give him this pamphlet: http://www.continental-automotive.com/www/download/automotive_de_en/general/regions_countries/thailand/download/brochure_thailand_amata_city_en.pdf

Then again, if he's seeking more investment, there's probably a very good reason why Continental aren't producing tyres here: http://globalrubbermarkets.com/45553/tyremakers-bash-thai-rubber.html

1 hour ago, jamesbrock said:

I wonder if the article was meant to say "more investment" or he seriously doesn't know they are already here??

Perhaps someone should give him this pamphlet: http://www.continental-automotive.com/www/download/automotive_de_en/general/regions_countries/thailand/download/brochure_thailand_amata_city_en.pdf

Then again, if he's seeking more investment, there's probably a very good reason why Continental aren't producing tyres here: http://globalrubbermarkets.com/45553/tyremakers-bash-thai-rubber.html

Like poor quality rubber and corruption

Somkid and the Thai government know very well European investers turn(ed) away from the Kingdom. Over the past ten years it's been increasingly difficult to find decent staff in several disciplins. The work ethics are poor as well. And then there's the everlasting insecurity. Rules can be changed overnight, bribes can be demanded anytime by any official. Farangs are seen as milkcows only.

It takes a whole change of culture to get investers back. A country that quite openly covers up for the slavemasters in the fishing industry is incapable of making that switch.

7 hours ago, rkidlad said:

I would doubt if the German companies will either

Quote from the EU Commission on Trade with Thailand:

Thailand and the EU have negotiated and finalised in November 2013 a Partnership and Cooperation Agreement (PCA), which provides a comprehensive framework for EU-Thailand relations and will open up wide opportunities to develop cooperation. The EU and its Member Statesbg-linktype-external.png will not sign the PCA with until a democratically elected government is in place in Thailand.

http://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/countries-and-regions/countries/thailand/

23 minutes ago, Xircal said:

Quote from the EU Commission on Trade with Thailand:

Thailand and the EU have negotiated and finalised in November 2013 a Partnership and Cooperation Agreement (PCA), which provides a comprehensive framework for EU-Thailand relations and will open up wide opportunities to develop cooperation. The EU and its Member Statesbg-linktype-external.png will not sign the PCA with until a democratically elected government is in place in Thailand.

http://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/countries-and-regions/countries/thailand/

Hahahaha - I wonder if he read that before going over cap in hand?

Somehow I don't think the "But, but, Thaksin!" argument—as convincing as it is—will wash with the Germans.

Political Instability,  High Minimum Wages compared to other similar countries, Low-Educated Workforce, Low Language Skills, Complicated Administration and Rules, Anti-Foreign Mindset, Wide Spread Corruption. The wet dream of any foreign investor.

What can they actually offer or compete with, besides "great entertainment" after working hours?

Edited by khunpa

14 hours ago, EricBerg said:

Somkid and the Thai government know very well European investers turn(ed) away from the Kingdom. Over the past ten years it's been increasingly difficult to find decent staff in several disciplins. The work ethics are poor as well. And then there's the everlasting insecurity. Rules can be changed overnight, bribes can be demanded anytime by any official. Farangs are seen as milkcows only.

It takes a whole change of culture to get investers back. A country that quite openly covers up for the slavemasters in the fishing industry is incapable of making that switch.

Totally agree!  And while time is running by, the surrounding countries are becoming more and more investment and foreigner-friendly. I know so many decent foreign companies, that have moved out of Thailand the resent years, due to it being more and more difficult to do business here. So sad really, for a country who could have so much potential, but flushed in all down the drain, due to corruption and personal greed. 

Edited by khunpa

2 minutes ago, khunpa said:

Totally agree!  And while time is running by, the surrounding countries are becoming more and more investment and foreigner-friendly. I know so many decent foreign companies, that have moved out of Thailand the resent years, due to it being more and more difficult to do business here. So sad really, for a country who could have so much potential. 

Ditto, LOS seems to be wandering down a downhill slope of it's own making.

Speaking of which, is there something going on at TV? I can't remember the last time the 'Recently Browsing' count was higher than 7 or 8 in the Thailand forum. Am I missing something important?

LiD

19 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Tyres for Lamborgini's to be made here?

Yes, why not?

In Thailand they will fit under any car. 

Yesterday I say a pickup truck with F1 size tyres. Honda Jazz with 19" rims and 245/50 tyres are very common in BKK.

Edited by FredNL

21 hours ago, jamesbrock said:

Hahahaha - I wonder if he read that before going over cap in hand?

Somehow I don't think the "But, but, Thaksin!" argument—as convincing as it is—will wash with the Germans.

To add fuel to the fire, the EU has apparently concluded a FTA with Vietnam and is negotiating with other ASEAN members along the same lines. It goes on to say that trade and investment in Thailand could suffer unless democracy is restored.

The negotiations for an EU-Thailand FTA launched in 2013 were interrupted after two rounds of negotiations, following the coup. The FTA was intended to boost trade relations between the two countries, and could have been a means for Thailand to partly offset the loss in 2015 of preferential tariffs under the EU’s Generalised System of Preferences (GSP). As the EU has concluded an FTA with Vietnam and talks are ongoing with other members in the region, Thailand may see its trade and investment relations with the EU deteriorate unless democracy is restored soon and the FTA negotiations can restart.

That excerpt came from page 30 in this document: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/STUD/2016/578931/EXPO_STU(2016)578931_EN.pdf

9 hours ago, FredNL said:

Yes, why not?

In Thailand they will fit under any car. 

Yesterday I say a pickup truck with F1 size tyres. Honda Jazz with 19" rims and 245/50 tyres are very common in BKK.

For the "Why Not" see the second link down in jamesbrock's post here