Moderate Islamists win elections in Morocco

rooster59

Moderate Islamists win elections in Morocco

606x341_346124.jpg

Morocco’s moderate Islamists have won parliamentary elections. The ruling Justice and Development Party or PJD which has been in power since Arab-spring inspired protests five years ago won 125 seats.

Their rivals, the Authenticity and Modernity Party, which campaigned against the Islamisation of Moroccan society won 102 seats.

It was hailed as a sign of approval by the PJD despite frustrations over their handling of the economy during five years in office.

“There is no alternative much better than them. So people, they put their trust on them again. And we hope so that they will do much better than the last five years,” Khalid Lamlagn, a Moroccan tour guide lamented.

“All they have done is take money out of the pockets of the Moroccans because everything has become so expensive. We can’t live like this. It was not like this with the others,” Fadija Monem, a primary school teacher told a reporter.

The tight race means that forming a coalition could be tricky for the PJD, after their high-scoring rivals ruled out an alliance.

“Probably they will have to go with six different parties to go for a coalition. I don’t know, we might end up going for another election sometime in another month,” explained Otman Magraoui, a Moroccan law student.

Whatever the final make-up of the government, they face the challenges of high youth unemployment, debt and Islamic extremism. Earlier this week authorities uncovered a cell of jihadists intent on carrying out an attack on election day.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-10-09

5 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

Moderate muslims..........the expression 'oxymoron' comes to mind.

I suppose it's a relative term though, and compared with their opposition, they may be viewed as moderate.  That may be just not quite as barbaric as the other guys.

I read this post, and for some reason the word 'moron' just jumped into my mind.

My consulting work has allowed me to visit most of the Islamic States and I prefer Morocco and Turkey to most of the rest. Some I prefer not to visit. The biggest problem is how they force their ways on a Bacon and Pork Lover !!

10 hours ago, Dagnabbit said:

Moderaame Muslims I understand.is
But Moderate Islamist???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And Islam Is comprised of........... .. A tip.......not methodists!!

I know there are some who try to draw a distinction between Islam and muslims, and If you try really hard, and are very Imaginative, you may be able to do so.

23 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Well, it is their ............... country? Just please stay moderate, or the yanks and others will turn it into another Libya. :post-4641-1156693976:

Typical blame the West attitude.   Morocco is of little interest to anyone, except maybe groups like ISIS.   You be assured that any meddling that the west does will pale in comparison to what the various factions in and around the Islamic world can do.

13 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

If that's you biggest problem with the religion of peace, and Its adherents, you're In good shape.

Actually, I have many issues with them, but related to this thread, Thanks !!

F4UCorsair, has a Marine Ring to it !! Great aircraft, Great Engine R2800 P&W.