How Do YOU Save Money While Living in Thailand?

Andrew C

Any "money saving tips" that you've figured out during your stay? How did you learn this?

For example, I avoid fancy restaurants because I realized I could get food that is just as good for half the price at small street shops. And I also avoid relationships here in Thailand. I don't think I need to explain how that saves money....

comment below!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, SoiBiker said:

Careful. I got kicked out of a pub for that once. 

Shocking comment at first. On second thought: Not really.

Considering the fact, that Thai-Hostesses (these days), are mostly overweight, overbearing in their behavior, having cheap local whisky on their breath and wanting to be reimbursed for their services with 1000 Bht + Bar-Fine, delivering mainly non-performance. (Approaching European price levels for same services).
How to kill a golden goose? (Or in this case the golden Ganders). See above.

As the "Hostess-Business" in Pattaya is pricing itself out of the global market, the more effort is being made by the TAT to sell Pattaya as a "Premier Family Oriented Holiday Destination in S/E Asia". Good luck!
Cheers.

13 minutes ago, swissie said:

Shocking comment at first. On second thought: Not really.

Considering the fact, that Thai-Hostesses (these days), are mostly overweight, overbearing in their behavior, having cheap local whisky on their breath and wanting to be reimbursed for their services with 1000 Bht + Bar-Fine, delivering mainly non-performance. (Approaching European price levels for same services).
How to kill a golden goose? (Or in this case the golden Ganders). See above.

As the "Hostess-Business" in Pattaya is pricing itself out of the global market, the more effort is being made by the TAT to sell Pattaya as a "Premier Family Oriented Holiday Destination in S/E Asia". Good luck!
Cheers.

Well getting rid of the sex industry will save many people money. 

Back on topic. I have found to save money it is better to go places in the low season. So I have begun to arrange holidays with in Thailand at periods such as now. January I will go to Bali where there is a slight increase in prices but they don't go crazy like it does in Phuket. 

I was comparing some prices and a pool villa that goes for around $200 in Bali would go for double that price in Phuket or Samui if not more. 

I prefer non-actual relationships that are "at will" as per the legal term in USA meaning cancellable without notice or cause. But if the relationship on that basis can last 7+ years, who's to say what is actual or not.

39 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

I prefer non-actual relationships that are "at will" as per the legal term in USA meaning cancellable without notice or cause. But if the relationship on that basis can last 7+ years, who's to say what is actual or not.

7 years is nothing. 

Some people keep the same job their whole lives. 

Why would anyone, other than a corporate executive sent by his/her

company come to a country where the pay scale is 10% of their home

country and expect to save money....even if living expenses are 10% of

that of your home country it all balances out.  You move to these countries

with a pension and money invested and you don't worry about saving money.

3 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

Why would anyone, other than a corporate executive sent by his/her

company come to a country where the pay scale is 10% of their home

country and expect to save money....even if living expenses are 10% of

that of your home country it all balances out.  You move to these countries

with a pension and money invested and you don't worry about saving money.

Until the exchange rate tanks...

My dating advice:

Date a girl that is independent: her own car, condo, and job.

That one doesn't need support from you, and the relationship will start on a good note

My second advice, is don't F**ing spoil her. Every gesture has to have a meaning, and let her pay for the occasional restaurant if she offers. 

The first 6 months of a relationship are crucial because it is the base on which you will build. Better be too tight than too loose at that point, and you can loosen up after that.

If you follow these basic tips, you won't be scared to date anymore.

It worked perfect for me ;-)