MSG and related health problems

MalandLee

I eat at about five local “Jay” restaurants – I choose a vegan lifestyle.

I noticed on occasion that I had heart palpitations after eating a meal. Further investigation by my beautiful wife & I narrowed it down to two restaurants.

To cut a long story short, they use MSG in all their food and quite liberally, depending on the cook it can be more or less.

If I eat food cooked at the other three restaurants in my area there are no issues.

I must point out I do NOT get palpitations at ANY other time, for any other reason. Hence, why I am certain MSG is the culprit.

I was wondering if anyone else is bothered by MSG – health wise that is.

Things like this never bothered me before – getting older sucks sometimes.

Article from Mayo Clinic

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/monosodium-glutamate/faq-20058196

What is MSG? Is it bad for you?

Answers from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

Monosodium glutamate (MSG) is a flavor enhancer commonly added to Chinese food, canned vegetables, soups and processed meats. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has classified MSG as a food ingredient that's "generally recognized as safe," but its use remains controversial. For this reason, when MSG is added to food, the FDA requires that it be listed on the label.

MSG has been used as a food additive for decades. Over the years, the FDA has received many anecdotal reports of adverse reactions to foods containing MSG. These reactions — known as MSG symptom complex — include:

• Headache
  • Flushing
  • Sweating
  • Facial pressure or tightness
  • Numbness, tingling or burning in the face, neck and other areas
  • Rapid, fluttering heartbeats (heart palpitations)
  • Chest pain
  • Nausea
  • Weakness

However, researchers have found no definitive evidence of a link between MSG and these symptoms. Researchers acknowledge, though, that a small percentage of people may have short-term reactions to MSG. Symptoms are usually mild and don't require treatment. The only way to prevent a reaction is to avoid foods containing MSG.

3 minutes ago, Pib said:

Geez mate... had no idea that stuff was so pervasive..

I realise I could have used a search engine to find what you posted, however, I was looking for first hand experience within a culinary setting - in fact I have had a couple of the listed symptoms; they are usually gone within a couple of hours - I did not know the additional symptoms I was having were also MSG related, so I have learned something.

I will take this stuff a little more seriously from now on...

Thanks for taking the time to respond

We use MSG at home and have had people tell my wife that they like her food because it doesn't contain  MSG (we had never said it was MSG free). They describe the same type of symptoms when eating at Thai and Chinese restaurants (heart palpitations, etc.) and blame it on the MSG. I am convinced it is all in the heads of the vast majority of people that think there are adverse effects from eating this seasoning. MSG is naturally occurring in some foods (at much lower levels).

6 hours ago, rhythmworx said:

You probably ingest more than you think, it comes under many hidden guises  http://www.truthinlabeling.org/hiddensources.html

Do you drink lipo/M150 etc that can cause palpitations.

No I only drink water & one cup of coffee per day (occasionally two if friends drop by). I do not consume alcohol or soft drinks and do not smoke. My wife & I cycled around the world, (took about 3 years) both Vegans, with no known health issues - neither of us take medication of any type.

It was not difficult to see a pattern after eating at the two restaurants. Of course the assumption that the "only" ingredient to cause issues was MSG, could be flawed, it may, be pesticides - no way to be certain. Neither restaurant "cooks to order", hence we have little control over what "condiments" are used in the cooking.

Bottom line is we don't eat there any more and I do not have those issues.

18 minutes ago, MalandLee said:

No I only drink water & one cup of coffee per day (occasionally two if friends drop by). I do not consume alcohol or soft drinks and do not smoke. My wife & I cycled around the world, (took about 3 years) both Vegans, with no known health issues - neither of us take medication of any type.

It was not difficult to see a pattern after eating at the two restaurants. Of course the assumption that the "only" ingredient to cause issues was MSG, could be flawed, it may, be pesticides - no way to be certain. Neither restaurant "cooks to order", hence we have little control over what "condiments" are used in the cooking.

Bottom line is we don't eat there any more and I do not have those issues.

This could be your problem in not getting a balanced diet.

Vegans are often deficient in vitamin B12 which is found mostly in meat, eggs, fish etc. This leads to a form on anemia with symptoms of HEART PALPUTATIONS. 

http://www.livestrong.com/article/546303-low-b12-heart-palpitations/

I suggest you go to your doctor for a blood test... and also you may need vitamin B12 injections.

Could be an AFib problem. Had palpitations  off and on for years . They never lasted long and I never paid them much attention. Turned out I was going in and out of AFib. If you keep having them you need to get checked out by a cardiologist. 

3 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

This could be your problem in not getting a balanced diet.

Vegans are often deficient in vitamin B12 which is found mostly in meat, eggs, fish etc. This leads to a form on anemia with symptoms of HEART PALPUTATIONS. 

http://www.livestrong.com/article/546303-low-b12-heart-palpitations/

I suggest you go to your doctor for a blood test... and also you may need vitamin B12 injections.

Being life time Vegans we are well aware of B12. Both our B12 levels are well within the normal range. I think discussing the "balanced diet" aspect of a vegan diet, distracts from the topic. 

6 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

Could be an AFib problem. Had palpitations  off and on for years . They never lasted long and I never paid them much attention. Turned out I was going in and out of AFib. If you keep having them you need to get checked out by a cardiologist. 

Atrial fibrillation - would certainly be worth checking if it were not for the specifics. Those being, it ONLY happens after eating at these two restaurants.

Thanks for your comment

Response to MSG is both individual (some people are very sensitive, some a little, some not at all) and dose-related.

The amounts of MSG occurred naturally are minor compared to what gets piled into many dishes here.

I stopped eating "street food" a year after arriving here. Kept wondering why approx 20 minutes after consuming various soup dishes at the Chiang Mai Gate area food stalls I would get bouts of very uncomfortable nausea. One day Noi and I were having a coffee late in the afternoon and I pointed out a lady who was pouring massive amounts of sugar into her soup base. Noi said that was MSG, not sugar. I was quite shocked, the amount of msg being added was massive.

Since I quit consuming Thai food (7 years now) unless it was clearly msg free my stomach is much more stable.

Noi loves msg, as do most Thais. I can probably tolerate small amounts, but not the typical Thai amounts.

Doug

I experience a dry mouth and a strong thirst. No, its not diabetes. My blood sugar level is normal. It happened a few years ago when I bought a boiled chicken. It must have been boiled in an MSG solution. I ended up throwing the remains of the chicken away and no more dry mouth.

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Response to MSG is both individual (some people are very sensitive, some a little, some not at all) and dose-related.

The amounts of MSG occurred naturally are minor compared to what gets piled into many dishes here.

Hi Sheryl,

Really you said it all

Thanks for your comment

2 hours ago, muskoka said:

I stopped eating "street food" a year after arriving here. Kept wondering why approx 20 minutes after consuming various soup dishes at the Chiang Mai Gate area food stalls I would get bouts of very uncomfortable nausea. One day Noi and I were having a coffee late in the afternoon and I pointed out a lady who was pouring massive amounts of sugar into her soup base. Noi said that was MSG, not sugar. I was quite shocked, the amount of msg being added was massive.

Since I quit consuming Thai food (7 years now) unless it was clearly msg free my stomach is much more stable.

Noi loves msg, as do most Thais. I can probably tolerate small amounts, but not the typical Thai amounts.

Doug

Doug I'm with you on the moderation thing... However, I am not sure I need any added to my food, enough naturally occurring, in many foodstuffs

MSG is a natural substance from naturally grown plants and has been a flavor enhancer for a few millennia.

Your symptoms are more likely from consuming too much sodium in those restaurants you go to.. for example, soy sauce has huge amounts of salt in it. 

Its a myth that MSG is bad for you. There is zero evidence that MSG is bad for you.  Here is a link I found that show  high quality clinical trials that help to explain away the myth... scroll down to the bottom of the website for.... or better still read all the information to help you understand the chemical and biological make up and breakdown of MSG.

http://www.skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php/msg-myth-versus-science/

Getting back to my point about vitamin b12... how do you actually know you are not deficient?  Have you had a blood test to make sure?  This, as well as high sodium intake, is far more likely the reason for your heart flutters. 

On 10/10/2016 at 2:32 AM, Ahab said:

We use MSG at home and have had people tell my wife that they like her food because it doesn't contain  MSG (we had never said it was MSG free). They describe the same type of symptoms when eating at Thai and Chinese restaurants (heart palpitations, etc.) and blame it on the MSG. I am convinced it is all in the heads of the vast majority of people that think there are adverse effects from eating this seasoning. MSG is naturally occurring in some foods (at much lower levels).

bloody hell. Are you nuts? Why would you add a chemical like that to your food. I thought only the low class masses did this

14 hours ago, ghworker2010 said:

bloody hell. Are you nuts? Why would you add a chemical like that to your food. I thought only the low class masses did this

Not nuts, it is a seasoning (like salt) and also occurs naturally in some foods. There is absolutely zero (valid, which means it is peer reviewed and repeatable) scientific evidence that it causes any serious issue. Most all of the reported symptoms are psychosomatic (in your head). 

If someone uses a lot I can tell on the first mouthful. The sensation I get in my mouth is like no other. The last time was about 6 months ago, someone bought me a take away fried rice.

Stupidly I ate half because I was so hungry but I knew on the first mouthful. For a day or two after I suffered allergy symptoms and stomach disorder.

Whether I can detect small amounts is debatable but would rather avoid in case of a build up effect. A lot of the sauces etc contain it anyway so really hard to avoid.

4 hours ago, Ahab said:

Not nuts, it is a seasoning (like salt) and also occurs naturally in some foods. There is absolutely zero (valid, which means it is peer reviewed and repeatable) scientific evidence that it causes any serious issue. Most all of the reported symptoms are psychosomatic (in your head). 

ha ha its like salt. Are you out of your mind. 

Perhaps the 'penny will drop' if you are ever diagnosed with cancer later in life. Enjoy each day dude until the end. 

12 minutes ago, ghworker2010 said:

ha ha its like salt. Are you out of your mind. 

Perhaps the 'penny will drop' if you are ever diagnosed with cancer later in life. Enjoy each day dude until the end. 

Are you claiming that MSG causes 'cancer'?  If so then produce the evidence.

5 hours ago, Ahab said:

There is absolutely zero (valid, which means it is peer reviewed and repeatable) scientific evidence that it causes any serious issue.

Silly statement. There are thousands of individual personal experiences similar to the OP's, including myself.  Too much of the stuff causes problems for some people.

52 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

Silly statement. There are thousands of individual personal experiences similar to the OP's, including myself.  Too much of the stuff causes problems for some people.

Can you prove that ?  if so where can the reputable, scientific, peer reviewed studies be found ?

All the "evidence" is anecdotal. 

51 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

There are also thousands of personal experiences of alien abduction, big foot sightings, lock Ness Monster, UFOs, predicting the future, ghosts sightings, demonic possession, etc... 

Indeed.

The various studies referred to were looking at serious health consequences....not whether or not some people suffer minor but unpleasant reactions.

There are many people who do experience transient unpleasant reactions to ingestion of large amounts of MSG. That is the subject of this thread, not any claim that MSG causes cancer or the like. The latter has indeed been disproven.