Russian man dies after skydiving accident in Laem Chabang

webfact

Russian skydiver dies from hang gliding skydiving in Laem Chabang

4d556b1c73ba8ed179c2cd35fed0dd9e-wpcf_72

CHONBURI: -- A 35-year-old Russian skydiver was killed at a skydiving jump drill near Nong Kho reservoir in Laem Chabang, Chonburi province, this morning.

Identified only as Mr Zhakara, the incident happened at the skydiving centre at 9.30am in Ban Nong Kho sky diving drop zone.

According to Si Racha police, the Russian man jumped from hang-glider in his solo skydiving practice.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/russian-skydiver-dies-from-hang-gliding-skydiving-in-laem-chabang/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-10-10

"However as he was almost near the ground, a windshear caused his chute cells to collapse forcing him to plunge about 40 metres onto the ground "

They really need to check the wind speed between the plane and the ground before jumping

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

"However as he was almost near the ground, a windshear caused his chute cells to collapse forcing him to plunge about 40 metres onto the ground "

They really need to check the wind speed between the plane and the ground before jumping

As a pilot and a skydiver for many years I dont know how you can check wind speed on the ground when I am at 12000 ft in a plane.  If the wind reaches a dangerous speed ground crew will radio a message.  This very rarely happens.  Wind shear is impossible to detect till you feel it. I have seen lots of canopies collapse because of it. Its not a lot of fun in a plane either when you get a severe wind shear.  Was the above quote about wind shear from a witness ?

10 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

As a pilot and a skydiver for many years I dont know how you can check wind speed on the ground when I am at 12000 ft in a plane.  If the wind reaches a dangerous speed ground crew will radio a message.  This very rarely happens.  Wind shear is impossible to detect till you feel it. I have seen lots of canopies collapse because of it. Its not a lot of fun in a plane either when you get a severe wind shear.  Was the above quote about wind shear from a witness ?

No, Im not a polot or a skydiver, I just thought that there would be some instrument or something to measure the wind speed from the aircraft to the ground .

Maybe that kind of instrument doesnt exist ,

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

No, Im not a polot or a skydiver, I just thought that there would be some instrument or something to measure the wind speed from the aircraft to the ground .

Yes its a multi purpose instrument that also predicts next weeks lottery number.

5 hours ago, jaiyen said:

If there had been a wind sock in the landing area he may have had a better chance at making a

good landing approach decision but if a  gust front hit him from the opposite direction at the 

the critical moment when he was 40 meters above the ground he had no chance. RIP dude. :sad: 

4 hours ago, sanemax said:

Most pilots can tell you the wind speed and flight speed vs the ground speed, at any given time, if that's what your asking.... wind gusts, or wind shear is, however, a different matter.

that said, these things are not unpredictable, and are usually evident to a pilot (or jumper) prior to boarding a jump vehicle.... as a matter of fact, knowledge of these issues are CRITICAL to a safe jump... and MUST be factored into a jump plan (or flight plan)

Also, drop zones world wide, are required to have an on duty (present during ops) safety officer.... it is his (her) responsibility to determine the safety of any planned jump, with especial responsibility to the jumpers, when considering changing conditions on the ground, once the jumpers have started their climb to jump altitude. ( prior to this, the individual bears a lot of responsibility for their own decision to jump, but the responsible DZSO always has the last say... in Oz, a senior instructor B)

most drop zones that i have jumped or worked at, have been under the auspices of special forces instructors.... they, perhaps, unlike another posters observation, where money may be king, do not play with safety, and I have seen, or been on many cancelled jump runs, due to weather changes.(this is covered extensively in jump safety training... this being a prime example of why

now... all that said... jumping from a hang glider is a very long way from the norm... even BASE, which is bizarrely dangerous (and not legal in most places), is more common.... so... the jump described is, at the very least, pushing the boundaries of the "sport"... when you push the boundaries... bad <deleted> can, and does, happen, as seen here.

this type of jump should only be tried in the best of conditions, which would probably result in a happy ending... and we all like happy endings... that the ending was far from happy, strongly suggests that some very poor decision making was involved... consequently we get to say .... condolence to family and friends... and blue skies Russian dude.

24 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Most pilots can tell you the wind speed and flight speed vs the ground speed, at any given time, if that's what your asking.... wind gusts, or wind shear is, however, a different matter.

that said, these things are not unpredictable, and are usually evident to a pilot (or jumper) prior to boarding a jump vehicle.... as a matter of fact, knowledge of these issues are CRITICAL to a safe jump... and MUST be factored into a jump plan (or flight plan)

Also, drop zones world wide, are required to have an on duty (present during ops) safety officer.... it is his (her) responsibility to determine the safety of any planned jump, with especial responsibility to the jumpers, when considering changing conditions on the ground, once the jumpers have started their climb to jump altitude. ( prior to this, the individual bears a lot of responsibility for their own decision to jump, but the responsible DZSO always has the last say... in Oz, a senior instructor B)

most drop zones that i have jumped or worked at, have been under the auspices of special forces instructors.... they, perhaps, unlike another posters observation, where money may be king, do not play with safety, and I have seen, or been on many cancelled jump runs, due to weather changes.(this is covered extensively in jump safety training... this being a prime example of why

now... all that said... jumping from a hang glider is a very long way from the norm... even BASE, which is bizarrely dangerous (and not legal in most places), is more common.... so... the jump described is, at the very least, pushing the boundaries of the "sport"... when you push the boundaries... bad <deleted> can, and does, happen, as seen here.

this type of jump should only be tried in the best of conditions, which would probably result in a happy ending... and we all like happy endings... that the ending was far from happy, strongly suggests that some very poor decision making was involved... consequently we get to say .... condolence to family and friends... and blue skies Russian dude.

Parachuting 

Never fancied this sport always gave me the Heebie Jeebies. I've flown a plane a few times but lost interest after a while after the wind gusts scared the shit out of me and preferred keeping my feet on the ground. 

RIP  

Edited by ScotBkk

• 3 weeks later...

Lol.... I've jumped from three separate aircraft, that appeared perfectly serviceable, but then crashed on landing.

i know... my fault for getting into them in the first place.... but there is nothing in the world to compare to free fall.... nothing

1 hour ago, farcanell said:

but there is nothing in the world to compare to free fall.... nothing

I believe you, just not my cup of tea, I love flying, been in choppers, outside choppers in casivac pods and single and twin engine planes, all for fun or military training, still would not don a parachute unless it was a life saving necessity :smile: