Transfer ownership of motorbike.

I have searched TV for this but cannot find it.

Can anyone remind me of the procedure for selling, (transferring ownership of a motorbike) here in Samui please?

I have my proof of address certificate, copy of photo page passport, and Green Book. 

I presume that I need to take these to Lipa Noi Department of Motor Vehicles or whatever it is called. Correct?

Do I need to take any other documents? 

Do I need to take the bike along with me?

Does the buyer (Thai) need take any documents? e.g. ID card.

Thanks.

First check 3 things.
1. The seller has his name in the registration book.

2. The mbike is registered in the Surat Thai province.

3. The tax on the bike is not more than 3 years out of date. (If so forget it - you need a new book issued at big money.)

If the bike is registered in another province then this really messes things up, as the transfer cannot be done on Samui - but see below.

If the seller is Thai, he/she needs a copy of his house book (tabien baan) and a copy of his ID card.

If the seller is non-Thai then copies of ALL the used pages of his passport - the same for the buyer (you). If the visa is a work visa (Non Im 'B') then copy of work permit also. If not on a non-immigrant visa then you need poof of residence.

The vehicle also needs to have current tax and insurance.

However, the easiest and fastest thing is to NOT do all the work here yourself. Dan Autos in Mae Nam is a long-established agent. Go there to the lady at the desk in the workshop area, Khun Jan. She will provide the forms (including the proxy form if the seller is not present). And make all the photos copies (at 10B a page!) And also sort out the tax/insurance if needed. The only thing you and the seller need to do is sign the papers. (I don't think she even needs  proof of residence if on a non-B visa, but I may be wrong, so best to get this first - the Immigration office is 500 metres away.)

It is expensive in comparison with going to Lipa Noi and doing it yourself - maybe now 2,500 - 3,000 baht (including tax/ins if needed). But agree with the seller that you will split the costs between you. It's all over with in 10 minutes. Then you go back and pick up the book with change of ownership and your name in it 2 - 3 weeks later.

(If the bike is registered in another province then you MUST re-register it and make 3 trips to Surat Thani to do this.  Or use Dan Autos to do it on your behalf - no contest, really.)

Edited by robsamui

12 minutes ago, robsamui said:

If the bike is from another province then this really messes things up, as the transfer cannot be done on Samui - but see below.

From my experiences  ( not on Samui )   you have to inform the  DLT that you want to  "move"  the vehicle to another province

for example it has Bangkok plates  and you dont want to go all the way to Bangkok to change name in the green book  so you go to the Samui DLT and ask for it to be "moved" to Samui  and change names, depending on various things they  might do it that day or  more likely ask you to come back  another day to pick up the book with new owner name and new Samui number plate.

Using the "agent"  to do it all for you is a very worthwhile option    unless you have infinite patience, time and fancy a challenge.

22 minutes ago, robsamui said:

The tax on the bike is not more than 3 years out of date.

I thought it was longer than that  15 years ???

...they definitely want all the back tax paid and an inspection done before they will transfer names.

8 minutes ago, johng said:

From my experiences  ( not on Samui )   you have to inform the  DLT that you want to  "move"  the vehicle to another province

for example it has Bangkok plates  and you dont want to go all the way to Bangkok to change name in the green book  so you go to the Samui DLT and ask for it to be "moved" to Samui  and change names, depending on various things they  might do it that day or  more likely ask you to come back  another day to pick up the book with new owner name and new Samui number plate.

Using the "agent"  to do it all for you is a very worthwhile option    unless you have infinite patience, time and fancy a challenge.

I thought it was longer than that  15 years ???

...they definitely want all the back tax paid and an inspection done before they will transfer names.

I did all of this just this week, transferring ownership and changing province.

Surat Thani DLT process the paperwork on day 1, then ask you to come back with the vehicle 3 days later. THEN you have to return in 3 weeks to pick up the plates. Dan Autos don't require anything other than that which I have itemised above. The K. Jan phones her contact at Lipa Noi where thay are waiting for you,  you go to the front of the queue, and they do the vehicle inspection then and there on Samui. Worth every penny.

No - AFAIK it has never been 15 years with out of date tax. It used to be 5 years. But four or five years ago it was changed to just 3 years. To reapply for a new book is rated on the engine capacity and for an ordinary small scooter is around 20,000B now, I believe.

Edited by robsamui

5 minutes ago, robsamui said:

Surat Thani DLT process the paperwork on day 1, then ask you to come back with the vehicle 3 days later. THEN you have to return in 3 weeks to pick up the plates.

Yes its such a marvellously modern and thoroughly efficient system I don't see how it could possibly be improved upon.

In the UK for example  when you buy a car or bike  the buyer and seller sign the registration document (singular)  send it by post ( or online   )

to the DVLA who in short time send the new owner a nice new shiny registration book ( log book )   that's it.

no need to change number plates,have rubbings taken of chassis and engine numbers,make multiple trips to a far away office,come back in 3 weeks etc etc.  :wacko:

3 hours ago, robsamui said:

First check 3 things.
1. The seller has his name in the registration book.

2. The mbike is registered in the Surat Thai province.

3. The tax on the bike is not more than 3 years out of date. (If so forget it - you need a new book issued at big money.)

If the bike is registered in another province then this really messes things up, as the transfer cannot be done on Samui - but see below.

If the seller is Thai, he/she needs a copy of his house book (tabien baan) and a copy of his ID card.

If the seller is non-Thai then copies of ALL the used pages of his passport - the same for the buyer (you). If the visa is a work visa (Non Im 'B') then copy of work permit also. If not on a non-immigrant visa then you need poof of residence.

The vehicle also needs to have current tax and insurance.

However, the easiest and fastest thing is to NOT do all the work here yourself. Dan Autos in Mae Nam is a long-established agent. Go there to the lady at the desk in the workshop area, Khun Jan. She will provide the forms (including the proxy form if the seller is not present). And make all the photos copies (at 10B a page!) And also sort out the tax/insurance if needed. The only thing you and the seller need to do is sign the papers. (I don't think she even needs  proof of residence if on a non-B visa, but I may be wrong, so best to get this first - the Immigration office is 500 metres away.)

It is expensive in comparison with going to Lipa Noi and doing it yourself - maybe now 2,500 - 3,000 baht (including tax/ins if needed). But agree with the seller that you will split the costs between you. It's all over with in 10 minutes. Then you go back and pick up the book with change of ownership and your name in it 2 - 3 weeks later.

(If the bike is registered in another province then you MUST re-register it and make 3 trips to Surat Thani to do this.  Or use Dan Autos to do it on your behalf - no contest, really.)

I am the seller.

I bought the bike new  from Honda Maenam two years ago. They did all the registration and gave me the Green Book and "white plate" after three months. It's my name and passport number in the Green Book.

Unfortunately I can't tell where it's registered as its all in Thai, but probably Surat Thani if from Honda here.

Tax runs out on 22/10 and I plan to transfer to new owner (Thai living on Samui),  on 25/10 as that is when proof of address expires.

Dan Auto sounds a good idea as it will save a trip all the way to Lipa Noi.

Thanks

Edited by phetphet

19 hours ago, phetphet said:

I am the seller.

I bought the bike new  from Honda Maenam two years ago. They did all the registration and gave me the Green Book and "white plate" after three months. It's my name and passport number in the Green Book.

Unfortunately I can't tell where it's registered as its all in Thai, but probably Surat Thani if from Honda here.

Tax runs out on 22/10 and I plan to transfer to new owner (Thai living on Samui),  on 25/10 as that is when proof of address expires.

Dan Auto sounds a good idea as it will save a trip all the way to Lipa Noi.

Thanks

In that case then certainly it's registered in this province - Surat Thani.
It's not the distance, it's the hassles!

No need to download documents printed in Thai and spend hours wondering if you have filled them all in correctly (and most Thai people are not sure about this anyway). PLUS they have to be filled in with blue ink. (People don't realise this.)
No need to stand in long lines at the DLT in Lipa Noi, then be told you need proof of residence (etc)
No need to buy insurance and tax (if needed.)
No need for anyone to go back later and collect the book from Lipa Noi.
10 minutes at Dan's and it's all done, except to collect the book later.

I just changed a car ownership and the province. If I had gone to Surat Thani and done it myself - three trips on the ferry at almost 1,000 baht return to Surat Thani. Almost 100Km one way in gasolione = 600Km = over 1,000 baht. That's around 5,000 baht including the transfer costs and cost of the new plates. Plus three full days to do it all. Dan charged me 5,800 baht. All over in 10 minutes and I collect the book and new plates from Dan.

One last thing.

Is Dan Autos before, or after Honda Maenam when coming from Bophut? I know that it is on the same side of the road, but can't remember where exactly. Tried looking on Google Maps, but it doesn't show up.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

One last thing.

Is Dan Autos before, or after Honda Maenam when coming from Bophut? I know that it is on the same side of the road, but can't remember where exactly. Tried looking on Google Maps, but it doesn't show up.

Thanks.

Dan Auto is way before the Honda shop, closer to the Marnam  post office.... right side of the road coming from Bophut... Large green sign with "Castrol Oil" on it. (I can't think which Soi number it is!) 

I had my over 5 year old bike, "tested" there last week,  60 baht.... They really did nothing except push it in circles for a few feet! 

8 hours ago, samuijimmy said:

Dan Auto is way before the Honda shop, closer to the Marnam  post office.... right side of the road coming from Bophut... Large green sign with "Castrol Oil" on it. (I can't think which Soi number it is!) 

I had my over 5 year old bike, "tested" there last week,  60 baht.... They really did nothing except push it in circles for a few feet! 

Thanks Jim.

• 9 months later...

Thank you for your input so far. I want to buy a motorbike, that is registered in Phuket. I went to Dan Auto in Maenam and was told, that they can't do the transfer for me as they are only offering this service for smaller bikes - the bike I want to buy has 300ccm.

Do you know anybody else, who offers this kind of service?

4 hours ago, GustavGans said:

Thank you for your input so far. I want to buy a motorbike, that is registered in Phuket. I went to Dan Auto in Maenam and was told, that they can't do the transfer for me as they are only offering this service for smaller bikes - the bike I want to buy has 300ccm.

Do you know anybody else, who offers this kind of service?

You will need a residence certificate from immigration first. 

Try OHM motorbike in south Chaweng they can handle the paperwork for big bikes, coming from north it's on right side after Bangkok hospital at the next junction.