It's all in a day's work for honest Phuket cabbie!

webfact

It's all in a day's work for honest Phuket cabbie!

p2.jpg

Image: Thairath

PHUKET: -- An Arab tourist and his wife were truly thankful to a Phuket cabbie on Monday night.

He turned up at Karon police station with a bag containing passports and 300,000 baht worth of dollars that they had left in his taxi, reports Thairath.

And the wife promptly burst into tears of joy!

But honest driver Krit Niyompong, 53, said it was just all in a day's work. 

He had given the couple a lift from Phuket International Airport to the Best Western Hotel in Karon and then was on his way home when he got a call from the tourist police asking if he had seen a black bag.

He checked in the back and found the bag on the floor and went straight to the police station with it where the tourists were waiting. They gave him a 2,000 baht reward after checking that all the money in dollars was there.

Krit - who has the nickname Go Mor - said he had been working for an airport limousine service for 6 years and had often found things in the cab - but never that much. He always returned everything.

In fact he told reporters he had just got back from taking an iPhone to a passenger who had left it on the back seat.

"They paid me for the journey and for my time," he said. "That is twice in a week I have got some extra to feed my family!"

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-10-12

1 hour ago, Brer Fox said:

A miserable 2,000 baht reward for returning 300,000 baht. And that was after they checked to make sure he hadn't stolen any. 

Rewards are always discretionary and almost always emotive.  2,000 THB is probably two or three days wages for a Phuket Cabbie, it's about 8 days for a BKK cabbie.

2 hours ago, CodyB said:

Rewards are always discretionary and almost always emotive.  2,000 THB is probably two or three days wages for a Phuket Cabbie, it's about 8 days for a BKK cabbie.

Yes but 2,000 baht or less than 1% is a very small reward for returning the cash and saving the couple the time and expense of obtaining new papers. 10% seems a much fairer amount.

I'm a bit over these stories, are there so many people truly so negligent with their cash when in a cab in a foreign country?

I'm not disbelieving of the honesty of people in returning the cash just the frequency of it happening.

You have to remember that the cabbie only "found" the bag in the back of his taxi after receiving a call from the police. Is it possible that he had discovered the bag  and only decided to return it once he became aware that the customers and the police knew that the bag had indeed been left in his cab?

If, however, the story is absolutely genuine as stated, then the reward does seem rather petty and a minimum of 10000 would seem more appropriate. As the customers had no way of knowing which version was true, they certainly should have been more generous.