UK 'may still have to pay into EU even after Brexit'

webfact

UK 'may still have to pay into EU even after Brexit'

By Nicholas WattNewsnight political editor

LONDON: -- Whitehall officials believe the UK may need to make big payments to the EU to secure preferential trading terms after Brexit, BBC Newsnight has learned.

During the EU referendum, Vote Leave had claimed leaving the EU could save the UK £350m a week in contributions.

But an unnamed cabinet minister has told Newsnight that the UK may end up "paying quite a lot" of that money to secure access to the single market.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-37627308

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2016-10-12

The BBC again with their wishful and hopeful thinking. The UK MAY have to pay to an organization once they leave. Yea right. Can you imagine which government would allow that. It would be political suicide.

The BBC throughout the Brexit campaign did everything possible to be biased for remain and failed. I stopped watching and reading the constant one sided argument.

These unnamed ministers seem to have a lot to say off the record. I look forward to the demise of the corrupt BBC. I was considered it  the staple of balanced news but now is no different to fox or CNN.

Mores scaremongering in this political change for the UK. When someone says 'we will definitely' instead of may, could or possibly I will start taking interest.

Speculation and more speculation for project fear.

The amount of rubbish spouted from this news network is becoming tedious.

Edited by Laughing Gravy

3 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Mores scaremongering in this political change for the UK. When someone says 'we will definitely' instead of may, could or possibly I will start taking interest.

Speculation and more speculation for project fear.

The amount of rubbish spouted from this news network is becoming tedious.

I dont see it as project fear, the article is based around ifs what might be, and rather pointless , lacking any substance. 

Well time will tell.  So far nothing the brexiters promised has happened and to be fair the country hasn't fallen apart (so far) either.  I can understand the reluctance to concede that brexit may have been an expensive mistake and the only real fact at the moment is the pound falling through the floor which has triggered a steep and continuing rise in petrol prices.  The balance is that exports and tourism are doing really well thanks to the weak pound. The real tests will come over the next few months when May sets out exactly what the plan is.  To declare a hard brexit (which caused the pound to plummet again) was foolhardy at least.  We really need to hear the plan and how they hope to achieve the goals they set themselves.  Personally I am cynical but I would love to be proved wrong!

Goodness me, people are touchy on here.

Currently we pay about 0.5% of GDP net in exchange for significant benefits. Sounds fair to me! In USD terms, our GDP has been slashed by 20% in a year! (3T USD) down to 2.4T USD)

There is a negotiation to be done. What are the Brexiteer priorities? Mainly immigration?

Don't you see that there are sensible ways forward?

As for knocking the BBC, what tosh. Nothing is perfect but the BBC is still the best by far for everything from dramas to documentaries and investigative journalism. Don't tell me you watch "the other side"; how awful for you!

Actually, remind me what those children's TV characters are called? You know, the smiling furry things. One has a TV aerial on his head. Aren't they called numpties?

3 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Currently we pay about 0.5% of GDP net in exchange for significant benefits. Sounds fair to me! In USD terms, our GDP has been slashed by 20% in a year! (3T USD) down to 2.4T USD)

There is a negotiation to be done. What are the Brexiteer priorities? Mainly immigration?

As for knocking the BBC, what tosh. Nothing is perfect but the BBC is still the best by far for everything from dramas to documentaries and investigative journalism. Don't tell me you watch "the other side"; how awful for you!

Actually, remind me what those children's TV characters are called? You know, the smiling furry things. One has a TV aerial on his head. Aren't they called numpties?

I thought the article missed the point,  the Cons manifesto upon which it elected promised to  protect the single market, now obviously that will incur a cost. The article rambled on about estimated payments to the EU  following Brexit but failed to put any context on the reasoning.

11 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I'm with you on this. The GDP has been slashed by exchange rate measurements, however in real terms it has not (i mean consumption and trading). Also I see no problem with contributing to the EU pot to access the free market as long as it is sensible and the benefits tot he UK far outweigh the EU contributions as they were.

My issue is the control of legislation and laws. This was something that had to stop and it showed no sign of doing so, quite the contrary. The UK (and other EU countries) need their independence to manage their own countries as they see fit. Being part of the EU should all be about trade and freedom of movement not trying to create an EU superstate.

Immigration was always a nonsense argument for leaving the EU, anyone who actually thought about this knew it to be so. Frankly if the UK is going to have a trading future with the EU (which both sides need) then some agreement on free movement will have to be agreed anyway.

lastly, I think the BBC is the most balanced news reporting network in the World. I put far more trust in the reporting from the BBC then any other network for sure.

Problem is that if the BBC is giving a different point of view to yours (no matter how unbiased it is) then you will shout BIASED at the top of your voice.  When it is agreeing with your view then you just nod and smile.  Such is the nature of the human being.

33 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

I thought the article missed the point,  the Cons manifesto upon which it elected promised to  protect the single market, now obviously that will incur a cost. The article rambled on about estimated payments to the EU  following Brexit but failed to put any context on the reasoning.

At this point it is all speculation but speculation based on probable's.  This is going to be a very long haul and I think everyone accepts that it is going to be a rocky ride.  Question is where will we be when the roller coaster comes to a halt? 

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

Problem is that if the BBC is giving a different point of view to yours (no matter how unbiased it is) then you will shout BIASED at the top of your voice.  When it is agreeing with your view then you just nod and smile.  Such is the nature of the human being.

At this point it is all speculation but speculation based on probable's.  This is going to be a very long haul and I think everyone accepts that it is going to be a rocky ride.  Question is where will we be when the roller coaster comes to a halt? 

I should imagine quite a few will be in the work house, history has a way of repeating itself, damn that plastic.

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

I haven't forgiven them for cancelling The Hour: with poor Freddie lying bleeding and unconscious/dead on the pavement. Dreadful betrayal of a loyal audience.

The reality is that nothing much has changed after the Brexit vote.  Petrol a bit up, tourism well up, etc, etc.  Nothing to get worried about, but then some people love to worry,,,,  ;)

The "Free movement" part of the deal has to focus on free movement of labour coming in who have contracts of employment which have been approved after the employer demonstrates why he can not find the staff needed within the UK labour force.  

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

For every "significant benefit" there are a dozen "significant drawbacks" ;)

8 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

The BBC again with their wishful and hopeful thinking. The UK MAY have to pay to an organization once they leave. Yea right. Can you imagine which government would allow that. It would be political suicide.

The BBC throughout the Brexit campaign did everything possible to be biased for remain and failed. I stopped watching and reading the constant one sided argument.

These unnamed ministers seem to have a lot to say off the record. I look forward to the demise of the corrupt BBC. I was considered it  the staple of balanced news but now is no different to fox or CNN.

It's perfectly normal. All the other EU member states have to contribute towards the EU budget in order to maintain free access to the single market for both goods and services so why not Britain?

The UK may opt to adopt the Norwegian model by joining EFTA but even then it still has to contribute to the EU budget and accept free movement of people.

If they don't want to accept either of those choices then they go for a 'hard exit' and then fall back to WTO rules, but it'll cost a pretty penny.

The brexitidiots are getting more than they bargained for,I love all the talk that things have not imploded like the alarmists said it would after a brexit.My dear chaps the brexit process has not even started yet and your pound is already collapsing,those English fellows here in Thailand who were bleating that they wanted their country back are now facing a huge devaluation,surprise surprise.

1 minute ago, chumpy said:

The brexitidiots are getting more than they bargained for,I love all the talk that things have not imploded like the alarmists said it would after a brexit.My dear chaps the brexit process has not even started yet and your pound is already collapsing,those English fellows here in Thailand who were bleating that they wanted their country back are now facing a huge devaluation,surprise surprise.

So you are not British?