Biker Fights 40,000 baht Necklace Snatchers 500m from Checkpoint

webfact

Biker Fights 40,000 baht Necklace Snatchers 500m from Checkpoint

Report by Pattaya One News Team

korat-man-snatched-3.jpg?fit=720,480

PATTAYA: -- At 11pm, on the night of October 11, Private Thawatchai Sriwipat, a twenty-two-year old member of the Armed Forces, reported to a police checkpoint at Pattaya Park of an attempted robbery only 500 meters away.

He said he had been riding his motorbike with his girlfriend and noticed three men following him. Suddenly one of them sped up and tried to snatch his gold necklace.

He said he fought with the men and, although his necklace was broken, the thieves failed to get away with it.

The suspects are aged around 18 to 20-years-old and despite the presence of police officers they have managed to escape.

Source: http://pattayaone.news/en/biker-fights-40000-baht-necklace-snatchers-500m-from-checkpoint/

pattaya-one_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya One 2016-10-12

17 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Why, in gods name, are these idiots riding around Pattaya showing off their gold chains. It is known to be a place where frequent thefts and assaults occur.

So help me understand this. According to your post, no one in Pattaya is allowed to wear jewelry. How is riding a motorbike with a necklace on "showing off?"

I also assume you will blame the victims for all crimes? No one should drive because driving laws are ignored. Females should stay home at night because it will be their fault if they get assaulted or raped.

At what point do we blame the criminals? Since Pattaya is as lawless as you indicate, is there any point at which we look at law enforcement for not doing their job? These guys didn't care that police were 500 meters away. Everyone knows that Thai police aren't exactly the most motivated to do their jobs and even if they do, punishments are so minor they don't deter crime.

There is so little rule of law in Thailand and it seems to be going backwards in that respect.

1 hour ago, Global Guy said:

So help me understand this. According to your post, no one in Pattaya is allowed to wear jewelry. How is riding a motorbike with a necklace on "showing off?"

I also assume you will blame the victims for all crimes? No one should drive because driving laws are ignored. Females should stay home at night because it will be their fault if they get assaulted or raped.

At what point do we blame the criminals? Since Pattaya is as lawless as you indicate, is there any point at which we look at law enforcement for not doing their job? These guys didn't care that police were 500 meters away. Everyone knows that Thai police aren't exactly the most motivated to do their jobs and even if they do, punishments are so minor they don't deter crime.

There is so little rule of law in Thailand and it seems to be going backwards in that respect.

500 meters did thepolice even see what was going on, sorry folks but takeing it out on the cops isabit over  the top

17 minutes ago, moe666 said:

500 meters did thepolice even see what was going on, sorry folks but takeing it out on the cops isabit over  the top

Did you read what I wrote when you quoted me? The fact that police were 500 meters away did NOT deter the criminals from trying to rob this guy. I did NOT write that the police should have seen this happen in the act.

There is an overall lack of rule of law in Thailand. Traffic laws, real estate laws, personal crime related laws, business laws, etc., none of them are realistically enforced and when they are, punishments are laughable. They don't deter, enforce, or prosecute crime in any meaningful way to protect society. Police, courts, lawyers are infested with corruption.  

Fifteen years ago you rarely heard about crime in Thailand. Now, it's multiple times a week. More often it is a violent crime as well.

4 hours ago, Khun Paul said:

Shocked and amazed at what the temerity of the alleged robbers, or that they got away from Police. I am not shocked nor amazed just inwardly smiling at the situation and the incompetence of our beloved RTP.

Just like the rest of us which includes Pimay1 5555555555555555

On 10/13/2016 at 9:42 AM, Global Guy said:

Of course you are correct. The criminals and the lack of rule of law are to blame. Hopefully, one day the police will be reformed into a real police force.

But, until that happens, it is just plain stupid to drive around on a motorcycle flashing gold.

We all want a better world, but meanwhile need to live in the real world.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 5:49 PM, brucec64 said:

Of course you are correct. The criminals and the lack of rule of law are to blame. Hopefully, one day the police will be reformed into a real police force.

But, until that happens, it is just plain stupid to drive around on a motorcycle flashing gold.

We all want a better world, but meanwhile need to live in the real world.

Please explain to me.....what does "flashing gold" mean?  Does it mean you are holding it out, showing people as you ride your motorbike?

"Hey everyone, I have a necklace on!" Shouting to anyone around who can hear.

Or...does it just mean he is wearing jewelry and that people should not wear jewelry in Pattaya? Yes, real world. I'm not talking about being surprised that one goes to the bar and sees drunk people. Or one jumps in the sea and complains he gets wet.

I just don't know what the act of "flashing gold" means.

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 0:00 PM, KhaoNiaw said:

That's simply not true.

Which part? That I rarely heard about violent crime 15+ years ago or that I hear about it weekly now?

Also, I'm interested to know how you know about what I heard 15 years ago and what I hear about today?

On 10/30/2016 at 11:19 AM, Global Guy said:

Please explain to me.....what does "flashing gold" mean?  Does it mean you are holding it out, showing people as you ride your motorbike?

"Hey everyone, I have a necklace on!" Shouting to anyone around who can hear.

Or...does it just mean he is wearing jewelry and that people should not wear jewelry in Pattaya? Yes, real world. I'm not talking about being surprised that one goes to the bar and sees drunk people. Or one jumps in the sea and complains he gets wet.

I just don't know what the act of "flashing gold" means.

It simply means wearing it, especially after dark and tooling around on your bike regardless of the proximity of police checkpoints.

You've allegedly been here for about 15 years so you should have worked that out for yourself no?

5 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

It simply means wearing it, especially after dark and tooling around on your bike regardless of the proximity of police checkpoints.

You've allegedly been here for about 15 years so you should have worked that out for yourself no?

Worked out that people cannot wear jewelry in Pattaya? No, I didn't know that. I think police enforcing laws is a better idea than blaming victims for crime. But yes, real world, we all know Thai police are not going to enforce laws, especially in Pattaya. Except if you are a farang on a motorbike then their many checkpoints are sure to grab you. But that's a revenue generating source, not real crime deterring law enforcement. Farangs on motorbikes aren't committing these crimes.

I did have a ladyboy crew on motorbike zoom in on me once. I'm guessing they were sizing me up for a snatch and grab (I don't have any jewelry). I flicked open my collapsible metal baton and they quickly rode away. I've graduated to a stun gun for protection but that's mostly for the soi dogs in the less traveled areas where I go walking. I'd hate to crack them over the head with the baton for them doing what they are programmed to do by protecting their turf. The sound of the stun gun scares the hell out of them so they run. Thankfully, I've never used it on them.

Living by the beach has its downside because we encounter a far greater amount of drunken, idiotic tourists then if we lived elsewhere.

On Thursday, October 13, 2016 at 1:42 PM, Global Guy said:

Agree, except that carrying a 40k necklace around in a third world country is no different to carrying around 100k usd in a glass suitcase in the Bronks or any other major city in the developed world. There will be someone willing to take an opportunistic risk.

26 minutes ago, Reigntax said:

Agree, except that carrying a 40k necklace around in a third world country is no different to carrying around 100k usd in a glass suitcase in the Bronks or any other major city in the developed world. There will be someone willing to take an opportunistic risk.

I hear you about being proactive about being safe. good point. But just wearing a necklace in a city shouldn't be a taboo thing.

And....you really cannot compare law enforcement in Pattaya to that in the US. It's non-existent here. That's the real problem.

2 hours ago, Global Guy said:

Which part? That I rarely heard about violent crime 15+ years ago or that I hear about it weekly now?

Also, I'm interested to know how you know about what I heard 15 years ago and what I hear about today?

Fair enough. But 15-20 years ago I often heard about violent crime and I don't think there's been much  change in that time. I personally witnessed firsthand more incidents in those days but that could just be a question of place and time. Your view of things. My view of things.