Ducati Registration???

greg67

I bought a Ducati Scrambler in early June in BKK and the price included registration and license plate fee. Since I live in different province I was asked whether I want a BKK license plate or my local province's plate. Initially I opted for BKK but a few days later I got a call from Ducati informing me that according to a new regulation I have to have a plate from the province where I reside (this was also going to cost me 2000 Baht more). After paying additional money Ducati assured me that they will take care of everything and I should have my registration in a couple of months... Well, It has been four and half months and I'm still waiting for the paperwork... Each time I called Ducati I was told that everything is on track and I should be getting my paperwork shortly. Last week, while at local Ducati dealership, I spoke to another foreigner who told me that he has been waiting for about a year for his registration papers and gets similar response from Ducati people... I remember reading about Vespa dealer and his recent trouble with Thai tax authority and I hope that Ducati Thailand is on solid legal footing in this country. Does anyone know an "average" waiting time for registration paperwork on Big Bikes? 

"Last week, while at local Ducati dealership, I spoke to another foreigner who told me that he has been waiting for about a year for his registration papers and gets similar response from Ducati people.."

Similar to what?

papa dunno where u live , but 4.5 months seems too mut.

...a year...??!!

Disconcerting.

Mine took about 4 or 5 weeks, that was including a 'lucky' number but that was bought in BKK and issued a BKK plate.

I guess it's complicated things by buying in BKK but registering somewhere else. I bought a bike on Chiang Mai plates and transferred the bike to my name in Chiang Mai, rode it back to BKK then transferred the bike to BKK plates a couple of weeks later. Not sure why they couldn't just let you transfer from BKK to your province at a later date of your choosing. Even easier would have been to leave it on BKK plates - I also have 2 bikes on Phuket plates and I never have an issue renewing tax etc. in BKK. My girlfriend also had a BKK registered car and used it in Phuket with no issues.

Not sure what this new regulation is though...

I have gone through pretty much the same nonsense as you, greg67. I don't remember how long it took but it was more than half a year. I think 9 months or so? I started to suppress my bad experiences with Ducati, too much headache :)

I also bought it in BKK (at the motor show soon two years ago) but I live in Phuket. I got a BKK license plate but it took them forever and I had to get 3 certificates of residence because they either lost mine or took so long that it expired. Every time they only noticed it after I walked into the showroom and insisted that they call the responsible person. Initially I just called and they always said they'd call back which never happened. Legally you are not even allowed to ride for more than one month, outside the purchase province nor after sunset with the red plate as far as I know. The police fined me 500 THB because Ducati Phuket at that time didn't even have any red plates!

When I bought my Honda, it took one or two weeks I think.

Which province do you live in?

I live in Surin... There is a Ducati in Buriram but I did not buy directly from them because they said it would take over a month to get that particular model... By buying in BKK I had it delivered, free of charge, within 4 days.  I never got a red license plate either. About 4 years ago I bought Kawasaki in Korat and they registered it in there. I still have the bike with original license plate and never had a problem with renewing registration and paying road tax... I was told by Ducati that I can't start the registration process by myself and they have to do it.  I really like to get my registration papers soon so I can ride to other parts of the country.

Thought I'd read somewhere that red plates were no longer used on bikes????
Can anyone confirm this? Or was it just a dream?????

Greg, if I were you, I'd pop over to Ducati, Bullilum and ask them how much would they charge to sort this matter out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, greg67 said:

I live in Surin... There is a Ducati in Buriram but I did not buy directly from them because they said it would take over a month to get that particular model... By buying in BKK I had it delivered, free of charge, within 4 days.  I never got a red license plate either. About 4 years ago I bought Kawasaki in Korat and they registered it in there. I still have the bike with original license plate and never had a problem with renewing registration and paying road tax... I was told by Ducati that I can't start the registration process by myself and they have to do it.  I really like to get my registration papers soon so I can ride to other parts of the country.

I rode mine all over the place with no plate while I was waiting. Got stopped at a big checkpoint (around 10 cops) in Kanchanaburi and they queried why I had no plate so I told them I was waiting for it, showed them my invoice, payment receipt etc. and they were fine.

I think that rule about not riding in other provinces is one of the ones that they don't really enforce, but I understand if you don't want to risk it. 

Wow so Ducati staff is reading TV now. Seems like they want to tackle the problems. That's a good sign. Of course it shouldn't be necessary that someone from Ducati Thailand has to look on the internet for negative reports and follow up there. Ducati Thailand already has all the information about who bought what bike when and if they were registered yet and so on. But ok, got to start somewhere to sort this out I guess.

Thank you Khun Kannikar for attempting to take care of this for greg67. Maybe things will move into the right direction, I really hope so because Ducati has some very very nice bikes. The 2017 Supersport is very tempting :)

It took 9 months for my hyper plate and book to arrive, that was from BKK, a friend of mines took about 4 months for an 899, long periods seem pretty standard unfortunately. I had to get a certificate of residence 3 times like another poster above, total pain.

Just to keep you all up to date, I received encouraging email from Kannikar who is affiliated with Ducati Thailand... According to him there is one more step to complete before I can get my registration papers. Unfortunately, I'm out of the country at this time and not much can be done until I get back to Thailand.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm happy to inform you that I finally received my registration book... It showed up in the mail Tuesday, 2 Nov.  I did not get the metal plate and I'm not sure if it is coming later or I have to go to the Registration Office to get it... I'd like to say thank you to Kannikar from Ducati who definitely got the the whole thing moving.