webfact

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

The street vendors are not leaving...Street vending is part of Thai culture...

Sure they might get beat back or a while... For a week a month a year..

But they have always come back and probley always will...

I think most people like the street vendors and would not want it any other

way....For those that like living in a sterile environment Singapore is your

paradise......  

Singapore, Japan, Hong Kong...

Hmmm...law and order always makes the place sterile - the lack of the scent of humanity?

In some areas using one side of the sidewalk only for street vendors (and limiting space used) would have been a viable option- then there would have been more space for pedestrians. Unfortunately I think the zero tolerance policy will not last forever.

Banning sidewalk vendors is a very poor solution and one that will never work. These are low income people who support families on their earnings and have invested their money and lives in trying to make an honest living.  In addition, Bangkok is famous for its street food and sales/services on the street. Trying to make Bangkok Look like Los Angeles, London or Tokyo simply will not work. Tourists won't come and the Thai working people will be left without reasonably priced food.

The solution is simple- control of space and proper spacing and regulation. There is room for everyone if the powers that be take a logical approach.

3 hours ago, yellowboat said:

As much as these vendors were a pain, they had viable businesses and sold to locals and visitors.  They had suppliers as well..  Sadly no imaginative solutions were discussed just the iron fist was used.  A sad but common occurrence in Thailand today.

I am sure there are ways for compromise, so that vendors can operate their businesses and people can use the pavements without obstructions.

What always got my back up was allowing the vendors to us both sides of the pavement with hardly any room left in the middle for pedestrians.

This in turn was forcing the pedestrians to put themselves at risk from traffic by having to walk on the road.

And what about all the people who ride and/or park motorbikes on the sidewalks?

Not to mention all the shops that put out signs/planters/tables, etc. that block the sidewalk.

Keep going, you have only scratched the surface of the problems in Bangkok.

Care to tackle NOISE?

19 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Banning sidewalk vendors is a very poor solution and one that will never work. These are low income people who support families on their earnings and have invested their money and lives in trying to make an honest living.  In addition, Bangkok is famous for its street food and sales/services on the street. Trying to make Bangkok Look like Los Angeles, London or Tokyo simply will not work. Tourists won't come and the Thai working people will be left without reasonably priced food.

The solution is simple- control of space and proper spacing and regulation. There is room for everyone if the powers that be take a logical approach.

Thai minimum wage is high enough now to eat in malls or at official streetvendors who rent shops.

In Tokyo there are plenty of streetvendors on every street, they are called "machines" and sell anything for a fixed price, no cheating and they are clean...Also they don't have annoying children running around or crying babies.

Also there's plenty of food for sale in Tokyo and London, clean and hygienic food stored at the right temperature so nobody gets sick. Both cities attract loads of tourists, all educated Thai have been to Tokyo already and love the place, guess that's why the streetvendors have to go.

Blocking the walkways for educated people who want to walk to a real shop is not an honest living. It's very lowclass and doesn't belong in a metropole but on the countryside.

Tourists who spend 10.000 baht+ a day don't want to eat from those people and sure not being annoyed by them.

7 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

And how long will it last ?

Enforcement of anything here has a short shelf life and as for ' strictly ', is that anything like the infamous crackdowns, purges etc. ?

Right. I remember in May 2014, straight after the coup, the local 'police' (I of course refer to the criminals who sport police uniforms) 'having a word' with  the rich motorbike dealership nearby who has all his bikes pushed out onto the pavement, every working day, blocking the pavement for pedestrians. The next two days, all the motorbikes were gone, and it was bliss to be able to walk along that long pavement without its resembling an obstacle course. Come the third day - and like a famed resurrection: all the bikes had risen from the grave and were back in everyone's way.

Clearly, a deal had been done: 'move the bikes for a couple of days - to make it look as though the New Management of Thailand are doing something about law and order - and then put them all back again. That will be fine.'

And thus it continues down to this very day.

Thailand is and will always, in my lifetime, remain in its spirit a Third World country.

The street vendors in Bangkok should not be classified as 'low class' to be shunt aside because the so called educated classes do not like them. The fact is that there are many middle class, educated people as well as tourists and expats who have been coming to Thailand for years and use street vendors because the food is good, hygienic and convenient. I have been to Tokyo many times and once worked there for several years and also to London many times. These cities are expensive and all look alike,

The draw of Bangkok is that one can find something different. If I want a low cost good meal I can find it on the street. If I want my watch repaired I can find that on a Bangkok street; if I want my shoes repaired I can also find that. If I want a glass of cold beer- that is certainly available. I do not need to enter an over priced mall or formal establishment to get the service I need.

Most of the street vendors are from up country provinces where work is hard to find and these self employed people have borrowed funds to purchase push carts or other needed equipment in an attempt to find an honest way to make a living. If they are banned from earning a living- their only choice would be to turn to crime or drugs.

The minimum wage in Bangkok is 300 Baht per day.  No minimum wage person will be found eating in established shops, malls or at McDonald's. They have housing, transportation and other to pay for. I would suggest a little more understanding of their plight.  

12 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

The street vendors in Bangkok should not be classified as 'low class' to be shunt aside because the so called educated classes do not like them. The fact is that there are many middle class, educated people as well as tourists and expats who have been coming to Thailand for years and use street vendors because the food is good, hygienic and convenient. I have been to Tokyo many times and once worked there for several years and also to London many times. These cities are expensive and all look alike,

The draw of Bangkok is that one can find something different. If I want a low cost good meal I can find it on the street. If I want my watch repaired I can find that on a Bangkok street; if I want my shoes repaired I can also find that. If I want a glass of cold beer- that is certainly available. I do not need to enter an over priced mall or formal establishment to get the service I need.

Most of the street vendors are from up country provinces where work is hard to find and these self employed people have borrowed funds to purchase push carts or other needed equipment in an attempt to find an honest way to make a living. If they are banned from earning a living- their only choice would be to turn to crime or drugs.

The minimum wage in Bangkok is 300 Baht per day.  No minimum wage person will be found eating in established shops, malls or at McDonald's. They have housing, transportation and other to pay for. I would suggest a little more understanding of their plight.  

'I suggest a little more understanding of their plight' - yes, I agree - understanding by Thai 'leaders' who have kept the street vendors in their wretched plight for generation after generation after generation - and enriched themselves in the process!

Edited by Eligius

Was a bad idea remove it completely. all it needed was tidying up by keeping clear of mrt & bts  etc and only allowed on inside of walkway & marked and numbered areas registered with council officers .
The total closure is a massive hit for thousands in the street stall trade & local restaurants etc that relied on foot traffic from the markets to feed there business, silom is taking a big hit & lot of brick & mortar shops already suffering between poor economy & less customers due to no market to entice people through the area,

knock on effect to supply chain is huge too, very short sighted & all you have gained is a new lane for motorcycles and that illegal too so are bma going cover there butts on that also !

Thai minimum wage is high enough now to eat in malls or at official streetvendors who rent shops.

In Tokyo there are plenty of streetvendors on every street, they are called "machines" and sell anything for a fixed price, no cheating and they are clean...Also they don't have annoying children running around or crying babies.

Also there's plenty of food for sale in Tokyo and London, clean and hygienic food stored at the right temperature so nobody gets sick. Both cities attract loads of tourists, all educated Thai have been to Tokyo already and love the place, guess that's why the streetvendors have to go.

Blocking the walkways for educated people who want to walk to a real shop is not an honest living. It's very lowclass and doesn't belong in a metropole but on the countryside.
Tourists who spend 10.000 baht+ a day don't want to eat from those people and sure not being annoyed by them.

1."The minimum wage is high enough to eat in malls or at shops?"
Quite simply wrong

2 "All educated Thais have been to Tokyo and love the place".
What a bizarre presumption.

3 Tourists who spend 10000 Baht a day don't want to buy from these people"
Bangkok is not a theme park for high spending tourists but a real city for real working people to earn a living in. Street vending is a vital part of the city's economy, both for vendors and customers.

I'm not a believer in the why do you stay here if you don't like it school of thought, but in your case...

6 hours ago, fruitman said:

It was easyier to just build elevated walkingbridges through the city...so now we have those plus empty sidewalks.

Where are all of those "elevated walking bridges through the city"?

6 hours ago, AJBangkok said:

The tessakit officers haven't given up completely on their cash cow. Yesterday they had a booth set up around suhhumvit Soi 13 asking people to take a survey with big signs "What do you think about no sidewalk vendors " in English not Thai.

How is that part of their cash cow?  Were they charging for the survey?

The whole BMA should be suspended as their leader the Governor already has been. Their so called gentrification plan is foolhardy; not well thought out and will never work. Hopefully, once  more reasonable and responsible officials look athe results- a more sensible approach will be developed which includes the lives of everyone.  

I also would not consider the lives of street vendors to be wretched. None of them would want to work in a factory; shopping center or other business for 7-9,000 Baht per month. They at least have control over their lives as small business people and they like that freedom.

The plight of the poor is a subject that can be debated but it is not any different in Thailand than the developed World. Those who are wealthy and control business will always look to pay those on the lower end- the lowest wages possible. Its called exploitation and there is plenty of it in America, the UK and Europe as well as Thailand.

5 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Bigger side walks, market venues and excellent mass transit

Pavements in the affected areas of Bangkok do not need to be wider, affected vendors have been offered alternative market venues and mass transit solutions are irrelevant to the subject of vendor blocked pavements.

5 hours ago, mcfish said:

About bloody time. I live smack in the middle of it and I guessing... Actually I know nearly all the posters crying about it do not, so tough luck, you're once a year trip to lower Sukhumvit will be inconvenienced on your walk to soi 4 Nana Plaza but that's life

The thai people deserve a clean and modern bangkok and not a lawless one.

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Completely agree, now if ALL the motor bikes would use the road instead of the footpath it might be enjoyable  to visit Bangkok more than a couple of times a year

5 hours ago, yellowboat said:

No, am interested in their viable, legal business and a creative that way they can continue.   Not all their products are illegal if memory serves.  Bought a nice Thai lamp there.  Other countries in the region seem to have sorted these problems out, while Thailand seems to not be able to. 

Bangkok has sorted it out just fine.

Did you buy your nice Thai lamp from an illegal pavement vendor?

5 hours ago, fruitman said:

We have shops to buy tshirts, hairpins, peanuts...yes i know it's very strange :post-4641-1156694572:

For hotdogs and food we have small trailers and kiosks.  To sit and eat we have benches under tree's and parks or it's food you can eat on the go (no fork/spoon needed).  Yup very odd again.

Also my fellowfarang are not lazy and can walk well, they even use bicycles in the city, imagine that! So weird. And on top of that they even like to be in sunshine! :sorry:

Our sidewalks are flat (no holes), wide, have tree's, busstops, special tiles for blind people to follow, ramps for wheelchairs, no standing advertisings, no dripping aircondrains, no lowhanging umbrella's/trafficsigns with sharp points, no people standing in the way, zebracrossings with stoplights, no broken drains (heavy duty), no filthy black smurry, no rats/cockroaches, benches at busstops, flowers in planters (not in the walkway)...i'll get my coat before you start chasing me.

I thought that you were sort of doing ok until you spoiled it by saying that your country has no rats or cockroaches, no people who 'stand in the way', no filthy black smurry (what?).  Which magical country is that?   Then I re-read it all...Bangkok also has seats at bus stops, flowers in planters, trees all over the place, many people cycle (whatever that has to do with clearing pavements), food is available from the Thai version of 'kiosks', Bangkok has many parks and, believe it or not, food that can be eaten on the go!

Quite simply wrong

Bangkok is not a theme park for high spending tourists but a real city for real working people to earn a living in. Street vending is a vital part of the city's economy, both for vendors and customers.

I'm not a believer in the why do you stay here if you don't like it school of thought, but in your case...

Dude only newly arrived sex tourists think that all thais are poor and are begging to shine your dirty shoes.

Have a look at the smart phones on the Bts that zooms past, I bet yours is nearly obsolete.

Try getting a seat at terminal 21 food court at 12pm..nearly all thai.

That stretch of road that thank goodness has been shut down is an embarrassment to the educated thai

3 hours ago, bridge2bridge said:

And what do the people who worked these stalls do to earn money to survive?

They work in the alternative places that have been offered to them or they do what the rest of us do and work legally without selfishly disrupting others.

They work in the alternative places that have been offered to them or they do what the rest of us do and work legally without selfishly disrupting others.

Good post. These people are not for the majority good working class people struggling to make a living by doing the right thing. Most are grubs that sell everything pirated at ridiculously inflated prices.

Have no fear these cokroaches will survive long after all of us have gone

3 hours ago, Thaidream said:

It is working and the encroaching vendors are not, in the main, low income people!   The 'honest living' that they have been making has been operating illegally on public land. 

Plenty of street food is still available, not many of the removed vendors were street food sellers.  Tourist numbers will not be affected.

You're right, though, the solution was simple, control of space and regulation, it's working like a dream.

There is plenty of room for everyone - however, it appears certain foreign residents want to control what happens in Thailand in regards to vendors and prefer to have Bangkok resemble the cities they ran away from. It never ceases to amaze me why people come to Thailand and try to remake it like the countries they were born in or lived in. 

3 hours ago, fruitman said:

Tokyo doesn't have children running around or babies crying?  Really?  Are you sure about that, and is it a big problem here?

Tokyo and London must be wonderful places if people never get sick from dodgy food.  How does that work?

All educated Thais have been to, and love Tokyo, really?  All of them?  You're not making some of this up are you?

You reckon that only 'educated' people need to use the pavements to get to shops?

Edited by gdgbb

8 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

There is plenty of room for everyone - however, it appears certain foreign residents want to control what happens in Thailand in regards to vendors and prefer to have Bangkok resemble the cities they ran away from. It never ceases to amaze me why people come to Thailand and try to remake it like the countries they were born in or lived in. 

Nonsense, absolute nonsense, the BMA is doing all the cleaning up of the place, not "certain foreign residents".

1 hour ago, JAG said:

Quite simply wrong

Minimum wage has gone up a lot last year, would you deny that?

ALL Thai that i know have been to Japan, most of them multiple times and they go with their kids as well. 

Have fun on the countryside mister! Buy some nice deepfried chickenelbows and say: sabaai sabaai....

People want the vendors...

If no one wanted the vendors they would go bankrupt..

As long as there is demand there will be supply...

The street vendors have always rolled with the punches..

The street vendors are just laying low now..

But In the big picture they are here to stay....

Thailand will never be Singapore or Hong Kong..