Toefl Yet Another Thread I Know But Overdosed On Toefl Threads

bina

i know, i can search and read thru zillions of threads, but its just too confusing, and im not in england, the states, or anywhere else convenient for many of the classes recommended... also, dont gripe about my punctuation, the shift key is inoperative.

question-- tefl courses online that are actually decent so that i can get a good certificate BECAUSE-- it may be that due to visa problems here in the holy land, my 'new' husband and i may have to move to his muubaan. i have a b.a. in anthropology from the states; bla bla bla.... the principal of the local school was literally smacking his lips when we - anon and i- went to visit the school for a day and i gave a 'class' to two separate age groups. i'm not thrilled with the idea of teaching as i prefer what we call in hebrew, - informal i.e. after school-- type teaching, and not frontal etc. i am able to teach, as i've given a zillion courses on safety etc to workers, and, pre israel, had grammatically correct english united states style. however, financially it may be neccessary to work, and preferably with certificate and with work permit and yes i'm aware, from all informative threads that there are lots of beurocratic problems involved.

so, recommendations, ideas all welcome. there are courses here in israel for the same, but they are given during work hours and the kibbutz obviously will not fund a course if i cannot be at the zoo while taking it--so internet is good; nor will they fund anything if they know that i may not be here next year. other option is if and when i /we move to KORAT AREA thailand, i do a good course there-- but by then our finances will be limited.

just researching so general info needed.

or links to informative threads cause i can never get my computer to do the search thingy on thaivisa.

thanx,

bina

israel

Edited by bina

bina,

Try this: go to your outside google.com and type in something simple like "TEFL online" without the quotation marks. Or, here on ThaiVisa, just pull up the Teaching Forum or one of the most obvious topic titles that contain the word "TEFL" and bingo, google ads will appear on the margins of your screen. Click on an appropriate ad, bookmark it if it looks good, and pretty soon you'll have ten courses to compare.

I hope that helps.

edited all...

went back, searched as u said, and NYET... showed up except for the SEE ad...

secondly, read thru the searched threads.... i am sort of planning this as a fail safe if our life here doesnt work out.... ; obviously a grade school in a muubaan in korat is not top of the line, especially if what i saw when i went for a day visit/play with thekids type thing.... u know, teachers that cant speak english, out dated books bla bla bla...

i will not be able to afford to do a real in person course if we move to thailand; therefore, i must do an on line course here. teaching to real kids is not the problem for me, been there, done that and still doing it to multitudes that come for animal activities.... i just need to joggle my memory about grammar etc -- i used to love the stuff actually as a student. i have a BA ; also, most courses like that here in israel are also just for the certificate.... everyone, but everyone cheats here on exams no matter what courses, what subject matter, and what uni./college, higher learning institution. we are third world here as well.... yesterday btw on television 95 precent of law students claimed they cheated on exams and stole previous thesis works.... a professor recognized his own work from years ago presented to him as original. he let it slide. just to show u what quality we have here also. :o

anyway back to tefl.... so recommended real proven courses thru the net is the name of the game for me.... once again... suggestions leads whatever that are trust worthy and good or at least half way decent.

Edited by bina

bina, from what you've written in the opening post, the folks in the village want you to teach, with or without further training. You're conscientious and want to prepare yourself. I was thinking that maybe the internet has enough free stuff to teach you lots of basics.

I don't know. I never took an online course. Remember, you can get a real, four week, classroom course with supervised teaching practice, in Thailand for around US$1,100. Wait, that was before forex changes, maybe $1,300 now. Or right here, our forum sponsor says US$806. So, you shouldn't pay too much for an online course.

I like the names that are given to currency. 'Dollar' comes from 'thaler.' But you can't beat an old name like shekels.

gee that was quick.......sorry no punctuation signs working to make exclamation point here.

808 dollars for me is a million to you... i may have that amount again in two to three years. so yes, cheap is the word here. yes i like to be prepared and legal, just in case, and yes, they would take me even if i was a football major in my previous life, but i am unable to do something if i cant do it right.

i think i will ask a friend here on kibbutz, she writes english books for tefl here -- hebrew and arabic speakers-- she is british and very very very proper about htese things too. course that i can pay in shekels are more in my price range.-- i receive 3000 shekels a month for four mouths to feed clothe etc... along the lines of thai laboureres in thailand... we never make it to the end of the month in plus so those prices are WAY WAY out of my range.

i'm going on the assumption that the MOE will crack down more and more, and immigration will crack down on work permit type things too, so yes, trying to prepare in advance for the unknown. hopefully wont need any of this and we will still be here for five /ten more years....

NO its the NEW shekel as opposed to the OLD shekel and at one point in the inflation years they wanted ZUZZIM which was one zuzzim equaling the price of a baby goat/kid....

thanx

bina