Going to be a bad year for tourism

kingstonkid

13 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

I firmly belive that tourism will be up in the next year. The Way thailand and it's people have been reported on international news have been a credit to them and I belive holiday makers will see this and want to come to sample the atmosphere for themselfs. 

Please don't play with this type of exageration as it serves no purpose. Why do you suppose  the foreign broadcasts have been blocked and are subject to extraordinary censorship ?  I direct your attention to some of the  public shaming behaviour that is occurring and that has required immediate intervention by  the government to keep matters calm.  Phuket was the scene of some serious mob madness because some people decided to pass judgement on others.  This is why there are multiple cautions provided as to the  behaviour of  visitors. It is why TVF has so many do's and don'ts. Combined with this are the increased warnings of foreign  governments in respect to the possibility of  terrorism.

I support the sobriety that has been called for and believe that the 30 day period of "reflection" is a prudent and  intelligent approach. There will of course be selfish people who wish to take advantage or who will complain or who will push the envelope.   Thailand is in a serious period of mourning and a large portion of the population is on edge with concern  or grief.  Seriously, who in their right  mind would go to a funeral service to partake of the atmosphere  as you put it? These visitors will be flying in on Jetstar and Emirates and Air Asia looking to party and they certainly will not be coming to sample the atmosphere. They care only about their vacation and party time.

The main period of  restraint is  occurring in a slow part of the tourism cycle, so the impact  is limited. However, it may overflow into the peak high season December - February. If people can show some  respect and behave properly, all will go well.  If not we will be treated to sob stories aplenty. 

There will be minimal impact upon tourism because of this event as most visitors will be oblivious in a few months time. It's up to the government to put a lid on the debauchery that is Pattaya and Patong and Nana, and hopefully it will.  If the madness that Songkran has become is reined in, and returned to its religious and family roots, then  Songkran may actually start to attract quallity visitors who wish to experience the atmosphere of  respect and kindness. If Songkran continues as the  disgusting display that it is now, there will  continue to be avoidance of the holiday by the quality tourists.

We are in the early days of the event and much can happen over the next 30 days.

Please don't play with this type of exageration as it serves no purpose. Why do you suppose  the foreign broadcasts have been blocked and are subject to extraordinary censorship ?

What exaggeration are you talking about In my post???? This is what I said no exaggeration in it at all

15 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

I firmly belive that tourism will be up in the next year. The Way thailand and it's people have been reported on international news have been a credit to them and I belive holiday makers will see this and want to come to sample the atmosphere for themselfs. 

22 hours ago, colinneil said:

Sex tourists are a small minority !!!!

90% of tourists come here for the night life/girlie bars etc.

Nahhh. I'd say only 90% of tourists come here on shopping package tours - nearly 8 million Chinese last year - how any of them go to girly bars. Westerners are in a small minority these days ....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand#cite_note-DOT-Stats-33

22 hours ago, colinneil said:

Sex tourists are a small minority !!!!

90% of tourists come here for the night life/girlie bars etc.

So its not for the temples. Damn wrong again. :smile:. I need to stop believing the TAT. I can guarantee the figures will be resoundingly up, as no matter what the truth is the figures will be up, if you get my drift.

Edited by Laughing Gravy

On 10/18/2016 at 9:29 AM, dbrenn said:

Sex tourists might not come here but they are a small minority of tourists as a whole. 

No reason for sex tourists not to come - massage places, freelancers and gogo bars are all open and the girls still need to earn money!

Edited by brewsterbudgen

20 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Please don't play with this type of exageration as it serves no purpose. Why do you suppose  the foreign broadcasts have been blocked and are subject to extraordinary censorship ?

What exaggeration are you talking about In my post???? This is what I said no exaggeration in it at all

The exagerated claim is in regard to your description of the  foreign broadcasts. You state that  The Way thailand and it's people have been reported on international news have been a credit to them and I belive holiday makers will see this 

My comment was rather obvious. I will make it even clearer: The BBC news was blocked several times.  The ISP providers are censoring foreign news feeds.  The reason given is that these news reports are negative, or violate Thai law in regard to subject matter. I draw your attention to some of the events that have occurred and that are front and center in  some foreign news feeds.

Are you blind? Look at some of the headline stories today;

- Woman forced off a bangkok bus and slapped for alleged comment. Note  the alleged adjective as there is no evidence that she did anything illegal.

- Thai government  to go after  Thais making comments in foreign countries

-  "A blogger known for promulgating anti-Western conspiracy theories urged people Tuesday to protest at the BBC’s bureau in Bangkok and personally harass its correspondent"

This is what is being reported and a rational person can draw his/her own  conclusions.  As I stated earlier, there are a large number of Thais who's emotions are frayed and who are sensitive to any form of assumed or presumed disrespect. Prudent foreigners need to watch their mouthes and their actions more than usual for the next 30-90 days.` This should give some people cause to hesitate, and to reconsider their immediate plans.

Would you  want to have a loud pool party with music, booze and scantily clad invitees  in close proximity to a neighbour who was in deep  mourning and holding a memorial service at the same time as your  party? Would you want  Louis and Big Bertha doing cannonballs into the pool and swearing up a storm while the neighbour was trying to recite prayers and to  quietly reflect and meditate?  I would not and most compassionate and considerate people would not want to do it either.  A large number of people come to Thailand to party and to fornicate. If that wasn't the case, Koh Samui, Ao Nang, Phuket and Pattaya would be deserted ghost towns.

The exagerated claim is in regard to your description of the  foreign broadcasts. You state that  The Way thailand and it's people have been reported on international news have been a credit to them and I belive holiday makers will see this 

My comment was rather obvious. I will make it even clearer: The BBC news was blocked several times.  The ISP providers are censoring foreign news feeds.  The reason given is that these news reports are negative, or violate Thai law in regard to subject matter. I draw your attention to some of the events that have occurred and that are front and center in  some foreign news feeds.
- Woman forced off a bangkok bus and slapped for alleged comment. Note  the alleged adjective as there is no evidence that she did anything illegal.
-  "A blogger known for promulgating anti-Western conspiracy theories urged people Tuesday to protest at the BBC’s bureau in Bangkok and personally harass its correspondent"

This is what is being reported and a rational person can draw his/her own  conclusions.  As I stated earlier, there are a large number of Thais who's emotions are frayed and who are sensitive to any form of assumed or presumed disrespect. Prudent foreigners need to watch their mouthes and their actions more than usual for the next 30-90 days.` This should give some people cause to hesitate, and to reconsider their immediate plans.

Would you  want to have a loud pool party with music, booze and scantily clad invitees  in close proximity to a neighbour who was in deep  mourning and holding a memorial service at the same time as your  party? Would you want  Louis and Big Bertha doing cannonballs into the pool and swearing up a storm while the neighbour was trying to recite prayers and to  quietly reflect and meditate?  I would not and most compassionate and considerate people would not want to do it either.  A large number of people come to Thailand to party and to fornicate. If that wasn't the case, Koh Samui, Ao Nang, Phuket and Pattaya would be deserted ghost towns.

Are you for real? Tourists having pool parties. Your way over exaggerating.. Tourists stay in hotels so unless somchai is grieving in the room next to yours the chances of a conflict are zero!!

Do you not have anything better to do than make up silly stories?

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

Where did the BBC come into this I do not read or watch that particular news all lies and wind. As for the rest of your post who said anything  about a party why is you think all tourists want to come here and sing and dance and dive bomb in a pool. The news feeds I read and have been told about by family and friends have indeed reported thailand in a great light. I have not read or seen of any of the things you say you have read.

Edited by Deepinthailand

8 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

I completely agree. If I was a lot ( and I mean a lot) younger and I was making travel plans with friends ect for holidaying , I would definately take Thailand out of the destination options. Thais (males) are clicky enough of late towards groups of young foreigners being a- holes whilst on their hols and are always using some feeble excuse to why they had to gang up on them and near kick them to death. 

Well....they have the mother of all bulls##t  excuses now don't they....

Edited by goldenbrwn1

On 10/18/2016 at 10:21 AM, KarenBravo said:

Nah.....that's just the percentage of tourists you meet personally.

Says a lot about the company you keep........

i  think Colins  company may  be somewhat limited if  you knew his situation

32 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

I completely agree. If I was a lot ( and I mean a lot) younger and I was making travel plans with friends ect for holidaying , I would definately take Thailand out of the destination options. Thais (males) are clicky enough of late towards groups of young foreigners being a- holes whilst on their hols and are always using some feeble excuse to why they had to gang up on them and near kick them to death. 

Well....they have the mother of all bulls##t  excuses now don't they....

But if you was a lot lot younger you would not have lived here therefore not had the blinkered aproach you have now. So how would you know to take thailand out of the equation. I must live a very sheltered life here and in Pattaya as I don't see these cliques of Thai males jumping tourist's. People really do read something and then blow it out of all proportion. Maybe it's the average old age of posters on here. Yes me being one of then. But some have forgotten how to enjoy themselfs and heave turned into there grandparents. And you know what I mean.

2 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

But if you was a lot lot younger you would not have lived here therefore not had the blinkered aproach you have now. So how would you know to take thailand out of the equation. I must live a very sheltered life here and in Pattaya as I don't see these cliques of Thai males jumping tourist's. People really do read something and then blow it out of all proportion. Maybe it's the average old age of posters on here. Yes me being one of then. But some have forgotten how to enjoy themselfs and heave turned into there grandparents. And you know what I mean.

Yes you are completely right. People living here do know that the media blow all sorts out of proportion for sensationalism ect, I for one have never seen a bad incident in Thailand concerning tourists and rarely even Thai people. But people who take the odd holiday to Thailand  or esp first time visitors will take notice of the media which cover all these negative traits of Thailand.  Even when I read about them and though I live there 80% of the year, I will still buy into it at times. But you just know some tourists are going to upset grieving Thais in the next few weeks and the media will be all over it.

17 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Where did the BBC come into this I do not read or watch that particular news all lies and wind. As for the rest of your post who said anything  about a party why is you think all tourists want to come here and sing and dance and dive bomb in a pool. The news feeds I read and have been told about by family and friends have indeed reported thailand in a great light. I have not read or seen of any of the things you say you have read.

and i wonder why you see/ hear reports of a glowing Thai public........couldnt possibly me the censorship laws could it? you know? where the Thais are asked to inform of any bad report so it can be blocked

20 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

On 10/17/2016 at 7:57 PM, mcfish said:

30 years and hundreds "bad tourist year" threads, coups, civil riots, bombs.. And still the tourist numbers increase. Was actually nice walking around Chang Mai last night, lots of tourists at the night markets and the usuall places but no noise.. I like it

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

If they only turn down the music tourism will be up 500%.

I definitely think that excessive and raucous noise (which is what most "music" is in Thailand) puts off far more foreigners than it attracts, even if you take into account the full moon parties, Songkran etc.
I certainly cant see anyone paying good money to come here and enjoy the karaokes, the boom-boom trucks and the temple loudspeakers.

Thailand's main problem with this is that it simply doesnt know how to zone areas to make them suitable for all comers.

57 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

If it's too loud, you're too old.

Loud is fine.  But not when it's too distorted to even hear the music.  That's just irritating. 

If you want to play loud, suck it up and invest in decent equipment.